9 replies to this topic

#1 KikiUSA

KikiUSA

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Does anyone know if there is any law that says if a restuarant does not provide gluten-free food that you can bring your own in???? I found the law for the schools but not for restuarants...just wondering as I have a christmas party to got to at Popo's here in Arizona but when I called them they said they do not provide for any alleregies and no one is allowed to bring in their own food......I would never go there willingly and I think this is sad.
Diagnosed 12-2-09 with celiac disease
Have a wonderful husband who I am madly in love with and 2 wonderful children
Everyday is a challenge and journey, I am so glad I have people to go through it with

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Not that i'm aware of.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Actually, in mostt cases, the law says no outside food for food safety reasons.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I go under the premise that if you don't ask, no one can tell you no. depending on where I am going, I have been known to order a salad and top it with something I brought inconspiculously. I don't make a big deal, and no one really even notices. I feel that if a restaurant doesn't serve food I can eat, I take it upon myself to be safe.

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Health laws often prohibit outside food. I have just brought something small and sat at one side to eat it. Trying not to make a big deal out of it. Or I eat ahead or I don't go. It depends on the situation.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

In many jurisdictions, health code ties the hands of the restaurant. They may have the decision made for them.

Where I live, it is legal to bring something into the facility. They can not take it into the kitchen to warm it, nor can they use your bread to make a sandwich. They can bring the sandwich filling to you, and if you have your own wrapper, you can use it.

These rules are mostly for customer safety. Nothing can enter the kitchen except from an approved supplier. Food offered, but not served, can be taken back (the bread you refuse can go to another table). But once served, and out of the server's control, the only options are to throw it in the garbage, or to re-serve to the same customer at the same table.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 KikiUSA

KikiUSA

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks everyone for your response, I think I will just eat before I go that way I am safe!
Diagnosed 12-2-09 with celiac disease
Have a wonderful husband who I am madly in love with and 2 wonderful children
Everyday is a challenge and journey, I am so glad I have people to go through it with

#8 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

I bring food in all the time, I am just quiet about it. We had family up & went out for breakie and I brought my own dry cereal - just asked for a bowl and a glass of milk and a couple of hard boiled eggs. I was with serveral people who all ordered breakfasts.

We were in an english pub, 4 of us, and I ate my tuna & crackers while everyone else ordered (I had a drink)...there was a sign on the door "no outside food & drink".

Thing is, if they didn't let me, we would just go somewhere else. There are lots of restaurants to choose from....and I guess the folks I go out with are pretty flexible & understanding.

I don't go to restaurants very often though.

#9 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

I work in a restaurant and have had ppl bring in McDonalds for their kids, it really doesn't bother me. WHat WOULD bother me is if more than 1 person was bringing their own food and only like 1 person was ordering from me.

What I cannot do is bring people's gluten-free bread to the kitchen for them to make a burger/sandwich. They also will not alter or cook in any way, any outside food. SO I have ppl who bring in their own bread and ask me to have it grilled. Nope. can't do it. We won't even warm outside food, including baby food, in a microwave.

I would just discreetly bring my own food, without making a big deal about it, and eat it.

#10 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi Kikilusa! I don't know if it is "illegal" to bring food in-- :rolleyes: but to my way of thinking, what restaurant would *not* want your business even if you brought a few a own your foods in! Yea???? :lol: Me. I have found 1 Restaurant that fits my eating needs....I say this with apprehension....because not all are the same, eh? I eat a *good* steak....a vegetable.....and another food source .... NF.... For me, it is a steak, grilled asparagus, and *PLAIN WHITE RICE* Please understand I say this in CAPS, because, when I asked, there was *ALL* kinds of "stuff" I could not eat in the "ginger/garlic/etc. rice:..........I do know that other people can eat these yummy foods--but me-- *NO WAY*....so I order simple....easy....(kind of if it is "at home" food, ,made my way :P )

Keep us up on how you are feeling, OK?
LJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: