arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Does It Take To Have A Gluten-Free Home?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hello all,

I'm currently working on creating a gluten-free home. Can any of you share your experiences of how you accomplished this? What did you get rid of and what did you add? Are there any cleaning tips needed and things that say "gotcha" that aren't readily obvious?

Heck, even things that are readily obvious may not be to me. I figure replacing the toaster is a must...

My dietitian said it's too early to know the trigger and, even though I'm sure the gluten-free restaurant dish I ate glutened me, maybe she's right. I need to make sure nothing else could be making me sick.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm ready to have more than two days in a row free and clear!
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

I would:

Do a deep cleaning of the kitchen, as you never know where the wheat flour flew.

Replace anything wooden such as spoons. Plastic as well.

Replace any scratched pots

If the tupperwear was old, i'd replace it

a new colender is a must

I'd also do a deep cleaning of the cabnits, rewashing all of the dishes and whanot within them.

#3 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Great response Shadowicewolf!

And yes...the toaster must go!

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

a new colender is a must

This is misleading and caused me to spend money I didn't need to. If you have a large metal colander that is like a bowl with holes in it, there is nothing wrong with it and a good scrubbing will do. The issue comes from the ones that are mesh, I would also replace plastic.

Keep: http://www.bedbathan...8843463&RN=212

Discard: http://www.bedbathan...1586104&RN=212

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Scrub your can opener - those suckers can harbour a ton of icky stuff. And yes to replacing the toaster. You can purchase toaster bags but it is easier to have your own. We bought a new toaster oven for me which is also nice for a host of other things.

And remember - it is your home so you will have to explain your situation to guests. We are having my in-laws here this weekend and they know they are not allowed to bring any gluten into our house. (My husband occasionally heads downstairs with pizza but he is exceedingly cautious and cleans up after himself. Can't trust guests to be that meticulous.)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

And check your pet food. I finally got around to this and found the third ingredient in my cat's canned food is wheat gluten. That means I have to wash my hands every single time I pet him. :(

Once this batch runs out, I won't buy it again.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#7 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I actually didn't replace much. I kept my toaster oven (scrubbed the rack first), as well as all of my cooking utensils, tupperware and colanders. I did by a new cutting board, but it needed to be replaced anyways because it was splitting.

I went through all of my spices and if it said natural flavour or spice, I tossed it or researched it. I went through all my medicines too. I gave away all of my "glutenous" foods including flour bags, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, and artificial smoke. My husband still has a barbque sauce he likes and a box of granola, and that is all the gluten we have left in the house.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

Thank you everybody :)
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: