Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Does It Take To Have A Gluten-Free Home?

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm currently working on creating a gluten-free home. Can any of you share your experiences of how you accomplished this? What did you get rid of and what did you add? Are there any cleaning tips needed and things that say "gotcha" that aren't readily obvious?

Heck, even things that are readily obvious may not be to me. I figure replacing the toaster is a must...

My dietitian said it's too early to know the trigger and, even though I'm sure the gluten-free restaurant dish I ate glutened me, maybe she's right. I need to make sure nothing else could be making me sick.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm ready to have more than two days in a row free and clear!

Ads by Google:

I would:

Do a deep cleaning of the kitchen, as you never know where the wheat flour flew.

Replace anything wooden such as spoons. Plastic as well.

Replace any scratched pots

If the tupperwear was old, i'd replace it

a new colender is a must

I'd also do a deep cleaning of the cabnits, rewashing all of the dishes and whanot within them.

Great response Shadowicewolf!

And yes...the toaster must go!

a new colender is a must

This is misleading and caused me to spend money I didn't need to. If you have a large metal colander that is like a bowl with holes in it, there is nothing wrong with it and a good scrubbing will do. The issue comes from the ones that are mesh, I would also replace plastic.

Keep: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18843463&RN=212&

Discard: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=11586104&RN=212&

Scrub your can opener - those suckers can harbour a ton of icky stuff. And yes to replacing the toaster. You can purchase toaster bags but it is easier to have your own. We bought a new toaster oven for me which is also nice for a host of other things.

And remember - it is your home so you will have to explain your situation to guests. We are having my in-laws here this weekend and they know they are not allowed to bring any gluten into our house. (My husband occasionally heads downstairs with pizza but he is exceedingly cautious and cleans up after himself. Can't trust guests to be that meticulous.)

And check your pet food. I finally got around to this and found the third ingredient in my cat's canned food is wheat gluten. That means I have to wash my hands every single time I pet him. :(

Once this batch runs out, I won't buy it again.

I actually didn't replace much. I kept my toaster oven (scrubbed the rack first), as well as all of my cooking utensils, tupperware and colanders. I did by a new cutting board, but it needed to be replaced anyways because it was splitting.

I went through all of my spices and if it said natural flavour or spice, I tossed it or researched it. I went through all my medicines too. I gave away all of my "glutenous" foods including flour bags, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, and artificial smoke. My husband still has a barbque sauce he likes and a box of granola, and that is all the gluten we have left in the house.

Thank you everybody :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I also think that the HPV/Gardasil vaccine triggered something in my body. I had some Celiac symptoms many years before this vaccine but I felt ok. I was physically very active. However, after I received the third dose as well, I began having more problems including a more persistant pain, overall body weakness, lack of concentration, hair loss, etc.
    • OK so been to the doctor, they've sped up my referral and I should get the appointment booking form in the post shortly. They've said stay off the gluten until I have a date for the appointment then in the weeks leading up to it go back on - thoughts? I seem to be getting some strange symptoms at the moment that have only happened since trying to remove gluten, do these sound familiar to anyone? dry forehead, just starting to go red \ itchy in places. Treating with E45-type cream tender scalp and sides of head, almost like a pulling feeling and a bit sensitive to touch. Scared this one matches the symptoms of GCA, a particularly nasty autoimmune disease that can lead to blindness 
      Edit: having said that just found this thread and funny enough did wash my hair this morning...
      http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/50920-sores-on-scalp/ one eye watering and associated fuzzy vision at times, trying to reassure myself it isn't blurred vision due to the point above sometimes bit of a lump in throat sensation, seems to come and go Been reading that some people can't handle rice - I was OK with it whilst eating gluten but have been having it for lunch each day and seem to get worse around 4-5pm so could that be a culprit? How long after coming off gluten would I be able to say I'm at a baseline to know if feeling ill is down to "glutening" vs. blaming it on the body adjusting to the change in (lack of) gluten in food?
    • First of all, welcome to the forum! it's good to have you here. Secondly, I can really relate to the fatigue portion.  it really hadn't affected me until everything hit the ceiling medically for me.  I was constantly tired all the time, and waking feeling rested in the morning. Prone to depression and anxiety, definitely.  It drove me nuts for those first few weeks.  That's when I decided to try going off the gluten to see what happened.  I still dealt with the depression, anxiety at crazy levels, and inability to focus/concentrate, but it had gotten progressively better.  The anxiety got so bad I would have panic attacks in public areas which only ramped up the anxiety because people saw what was happening.  I would encourage you and your doctor to do a full Celiac panel before you decide to try the gluten free diet.  I had my blood work done after I was off gluten for about two months or so.  Thankfully, my levels were still high to register at least a gluten sensitivity.  Since going off gluten for almost a year now, things have started to finally appear "normal".  Whatever normal means for me now.  As I am healing from the 30 years of glutenizing, I combined both natural methods with the medical methods.  If you are interested in the different avenues of natural methods, I would be willing to share with you.  I will be praying for you as you go through this journey. Let me assure you, you are not alone in this journey.  Depending on family dynamics, they can be a great source of support.  This forum is also a great place to bounce thoughts or concerns off of.  Good luck.
    • I doubt it. I would think that would be a questions for the company that make them.    But if smoking makes you feel bad....and you are able to quit for several weeks at a time....why go back to it?
    • Hi. I've noticed that after a break of smoking (2-3 weeks) I feel bad, when I begin to smoke again.  Maybe they contain some additives with gluten??
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Miss_G