6 replies to this topic

#1 Spartans1960

Spartans1960

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Any Celiacs out there have a problem with eczema and itchy red spots or itchy skin, including the body and scalp? please advise, Doug

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

I do have eczema and have since I was a teen. If possible (and not embarrassing) I would try to get a few pics or maybe just check out what you can find in the DH forums. You want to be sure you aren't confusing eczema for DH. I'm special.... I have both! <_<

I was advised by my dermatologist when I was first diagnosed with eczema to use Eucerin lotion. I find that this is by far still the most helpful for me. If I ever have an especially bad flair I'll go with Aquaphor instead. They also make a body wash that is the only thing that keeps me sane. I have no idea what the ingredients are to be honest and that's really high on my list of I don't rightly care. If you are after the body wash and can't find it, Aquaphor also has one but it is marketed as for babies so you may have luck finding it in the baby section. It says it is baby wash and shampoo so I suppose it could be used as both to help with the scalp stuff. I'm far too stuck up about my hair to try it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 Laenie

Laenie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Any Celiacs out there have a problem with eczema and itchy red spots or itchy skin, including the body and scalp? please advise, Doug

I have had a type of rash for about 8 years on my scalp, went to a few Derm Doctors and no one could figure out quite what it is. Was diagnosed with Sjorgren's Syndrome and then Gluten Sensitivity a year later, since going gluten free (3 months) the rash is almost gone, and no itching. laenie

#4 Laenie

Laenie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I do have eczema and have since I was a teen. If possible (and not embarrassing) I would try to get a few pics or maybe just check out what you can find in the DH forums. You want to be sure you aren't confusing eczema for DH. I'm special.... I have both! <_<

I was advised by my dermatologist when I was first diagnosed with eczema to use Eucerin lotion. I find that this is by far still the most helpful for me. If I ever have an especially bad flair I'll go with Aquaphor instead. They also make a body wash that is the only thing that keeps me sane. I have no idea what the ingredients are to be honest and that's really high on my list of I don't rightly care. If you are after the body wash and can't find it, Aquaphor also has one but it is marketed as for babies so you may have luck finding it in the baby section. It says it is baby wash and shampoo so I suppose it could be used as both to help with the scalp stuff. I'm far too stuck up about my hair to try it.

Just a question, what is DH? Thanks, laenie

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Just a question, what is DH? Thanks, laenie

Dermatitis Herpetiformis - the skin condition associated with Celiac. Not everyone has it. There is a section on this forum about it.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I had exzema throughout my teens and early twenties. It went away. I did several things that might have helped. I did not know that I had celiac at the time. I began a supplement program as recommended by a chiropractor. I covered my hands with rabbit fur gloves as soon as the weather cooled in fall. I learned how to make homemade soap. Now, I won't go anywhere without my homemade soap..

I know eczema is itchy and keeps coming back. I remembering dispair set in when a dermatologist had no good answer for what caused it. They also had the only treatment anyone could figure out: hydrocortisone cream. It could make my sores go away, but they seemed to come back with fury. It is also dangerous for kidneys my pharmacist said.

#7 ktienken

ktienken

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm really hoping someone can explain to me WHY I got Eczema when I stopped the gluten...?? I've never had it before now. I was just diagnosed w Celiac in October, and in November I developed Eczema all over my chin, upper lip, nose , and part of my forehead :(. Does anyone know why? AND, will it go away???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: