Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

gluten-free 1 Month -- When Can I Start Running Again?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

Chaff

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi Everyone,

What role does exercise play in the celiac recovery phase?

I was training for an ultramarathon when I began suspecting a severe set of food intolerances. I became so weak from the elimination diet that I had to stop running (couldn't get enough calories; reacting to everything). I lost seven pounds on the elimination diet, a lot of which was my leg muscle, I think. Going back on gluten for the celiac testing got me the calories I needed but also made me exhausted.

A month ago I got diagnosed with celiac and began adding some gluten-free foods back in my diet, but I still have a hard time finding things I can eat (ten foods total are safe, but I can eat rice and tuna).

The question is -- should I wait until I've healed up more or should I start running again as part of the healing process? I had been running five miles and back to work every day; I bought a bike and now just commute to work that way (but I'm super slow).

Obviously, I want to do it, but I also don't want to be stupid. Any thoughts?

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

My yoga teacher would say " Respect your body. If it wants to run, run as far as you can without overdoing it". I think that is the general rule. Do what you can and sometimes push yourself a little.

Now I have got to know - Running to work? Do you have a place to shower? Do you carry make- up, work clothes, shampoo, etc in a back pack? Are you nuts? ( said with envy ). :)

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

Meh, my body's kind of an idiot. ;)

We do have showers and a tiny locker room. Running five miles to work is awesome!

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

It took me about 3 months of being on the gluten-free diet until I felt like I could begin to train and increase my distance....but everybody has a slightly different road to recovery. The best thing is to listen you your body's signals. Bear in mind that it can take up to 2 years for your GI tract to heal. I've also found that I have to be extremely careful with what I eat in the weeks leading up to a race, I usually stick with whole foods and forgo anything processed for about 10 to 14 days to prevent a pre-race glutening. Good luck!

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Thanks, jebby! I was thinking 3 months may be best for serious running. Probably some two-milers a couple times a week should be my limit before then.

Ugh, this gut healing thing is such a drama queen, am I right? Geez, you have my attention, just heal up already.

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks, jebby! I was thinking 3 months may be best for serious running. Probably some two-milers a couple times a week should be my limit before then.

Ugh, this gut healing thing is such a drama queen, am I right? Geez, you have my attention, just heal up already.

Hehehaha that's the first coeliac-related comment that's made me laugh since my recent diagnosis!
Useful discussion too - I'm just diagnosed (noticed problems while training for my first marathon, and underachieved in the race largely, I think, due to coeliacs) and want to work out a balance between gut recovery/return to training.

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

The OP has not been active since February.  They may not see your reply.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*Multiple AI Diseases

*General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: