arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

gluten-free 1 Month -- When Can I Start Running Again?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chaff

Chaff

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi Everyone,

What role does exercise play in the celiac recovery phase?

I was training for an ultramarathon when I began suspecting a severe set of food intolerances. I became so weak from the elimination diet that I had to stop running (couldn't get enough calories; reacting to everything). I lost seven pounds on the elimination diet, a lot of which was my leg muscle, I think. Going back on gluten for the celiac testing got me the calories I needed but also made me exhausted.

A month ago I got diagnosed with celiac and began adding some gluten-free foods back in my diet, but I still have a hard time finding things I can eat (ten foods total are safe, but I can eat rice and tuna).

The question is -- should I wait until I've healed up more or should I start running again as part of the healing process? I had been running five miles and back to work every day; I bought a bike and now just commute to work that way (but I'm super slow).

Obviously, I want to do it, but I also don't want to be stupid. Any thoughts?

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

My yoga teacher would say " Respect your body. If it wants to run, run as far as you can without overdoing it". I think that is the general rule. Do what you can and sometimes push yourself a little.

Now I have got to know - Running to work? Do you have a place to shower? Do you carry make- up, work clothes, shampoo, etc in a back pack? Are you nuts? ( said with envy ). :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#3 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

Meh, my body's kind of an idiot. ;)

We do have showers and a tiny locker room. Running five miles to work is awesome!

#4 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

It took me about 3 months of being on the gluten-free diet until I felt like I could begin to train and increase my distance....but everybody has a slightly different road to recovery. The best thing is to listen you your body's signals. Bear in mind that it can take up to 2 years for your GI tract to heal. I've also found that I have to be extremely careful with what I eat in the weeks leading up to a race, I usually stick with whole foods and forgo anything processed for about 10 to 14 days to prevent a pre-race glutening. Good luck!

#5 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Thanks, jebby! I was thinking 3 months may be best for serious running. Probably some two-milers a couple times a week should be my limit before then.

Ugh, this gut healing thing is such a drama queen, am I right? Geez, you have my attention, just heal up already.

#6 KCG91

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks, jebby! I was thinking 3 months may be best for serious running. Probably some two-milers a couple times a week should be my limit before then.

Ugh, this gut healing thing is such a drama queen, am I right? Geez, you have my attention, just heal up already.

Hehehaha that's the first coeliac-related comment that's made me laugh since my recent diagnosis!
Useful discussion too - I'm just diagnosed (noticed problems while training for my first marathon, and underachieved in the race largely, I think, due to coeliacs) and want to work out a balance between gut recovery/return to training.

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

#7 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

The OP has not been active since February.  They may not see your reply.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

cockroach-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: