This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Conflicting Information About Soy

KnightRobby

KnightRobby Enthusiast

I asked awhile back about soy and I got conflicting information. One person on one hand that it should be okay. And then the opposite was stated to stay away from it. I've heard you want to stay away from it because it is rotated on equipment used with processed wheat.

What's the definitive opinion on this? I have some medications with Soy warnings, among other things. Would appreciate your help!

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Soy is a very individual thing. Some people (many celiacs) do not tolerate it at all. Others have no problem whatever with it. You will just have to test (either experiment with or or if you are one of those that likes the 'evidence' get some IgE testing for it) If you do not react to it and enjoy it then there is no reason not to eat it; obviously many many people do. However, it does have some negative effects if it is not fermented. If you are interested in soy, do some googling and read about it. But don't discard it just because others cannot eat it.

psawyer Proficient

Soy is a common allergen, listed in the FALCPA top eight. Some folks with celiac disease react badly to it, although soy intolerance is independent of celiac disease. Personally, I have no troubles with it. But you will need to figure out for yourself if you have a soy issue in addition to celiac disease.

Adalaide Mentor

As pointed out, some people have issues and some don't with soy. My issues with it aren't exactly at the level of "intolerance" but simply are linked with another health condition and I'll be trialing it soon to see if it effects that condition or not. From what I understand it can, in that way, impact many conditions.

There are some people who tend to be of the belief that soy is pretty much evil and was never meant for human consumption and should never be eaten. I'm not sure if that's what your asking about, but if it is do your own research into the research behind it. Each of us is responsible for making our own choices in those types of matters.

KnightRobby Enthusiast

So this is still in debate. Well, I've read some articles and came by this: Open Original Shared Link It basically tells about soy being rotated on the same fields, trucks, and processing centers as wheat - in most cases it seems. Here's the information if any of you are curious:

"Soybeans commonly are grown in rotation with wheat crops. That means the farmers use the same fields to grow soy and wheat, along with the same combines to harvest them, the same storage facilities to keep them and the same trucks to transport them to market. As a result, soy can be subject to Open Original Shared Link — in some cases, lots of gluten cross-contamination."

I just don't know what to think about it, but from what I understand, it seems like something I need to avoid. My test results were very high and my stomach has been bothering me still. I thought I'd bring it up also just in case if anyone else was curious.

Thanks for the replies.

psawyer Proficient

The Canadian Celiac Association lists soybeans as safe/allowed on the gluten-free diet. I have more trust in them than I do in about.com.

GFinDC Veteran

I hardly ever read Dr. Mercola's site but he does have some info on soy that might help you. This page on his site has links to more info both pro and con on eating soy. It is not all negative info. The soy lobby puts out lots of info about how good soy is for people. But you have to remember they are advocating for it to make money from it. So to get a balanced view you need to do your own research. As their isn't a corresponding big anti-soy lobby being paid to pan it. Mercola and others say the fermented soy is safer and possibly ok in fact. It is the unfermented soy that has some negative things about it, and that is what most people end up eating, unfermented soy. So it is a mixed story, some good and some bad, and it depends on how it is processed. IMHO, the regular soy, (not fermented) is bad for people.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived