2 replies to this topic

#1 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

I recently became aware of the fact that guar gum is being used for hydraulic fracturing, commonly referred to as fracking. This is apparently the reason why guar gum prices have gone up so much. Fortunately, the fracking industry is looking for alternatives, which I really hope they find soon. Would be funny if they ended up using gluten :lol:

Here are some articles about it:
http://www.cnn.com/2...-bean-fracking/
http://www.huffingto..._n_1771959.html
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

That's very interesting... I haven't priced it for the last year. The supply I have should last a while, since I now use psyllium husks powder more often. Hopefully they don't decide to start using that instead. :unsure:
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Since I buy it regularly, I looked through some past receipts. Early in 2011, the price (from where I usually get it) was $1.75 for 8oz. Now it is $8.00 for the same 8oz. I now get it from elsewhere, at a cost of $6.71 for 16oz, but I'm not sure the quality is quite as good.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: