Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Help Me Figure Out A Christmas Dessert!

31 posts in this topic

My parents and in-laws are coming for Christmas dinner. I'm going to make a chocolate pie but want to do another dessert. My 4 year old is the only one that's gluten free, but I want him to be able to eat whatever is on the table. Since it's going to be very chaotic with everyone here, it'd help if it was easy. Any favorite gluten free recipes out there that even gluten eaters have loved?

Ads by Google:

How about the flourless peanut butter cookies? One large egg, One cup of peanut butter, one cup of sugar. Mix together, form dough into balls, roll in sugar, then bake 'til they're done. You could even color the sugar you roll them in - some red, some green.

I've never made these because I don't think I can do peanuts. But I'm going to get some cashew butter next time I'm at the healthfood store and try that.

This one is awesome. I have made it many times, to rave reviews.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/flourless-chocolate-cake-recipe

You can skip the espresso powder and just use the vanilla

This cake is ridiculously good and simple to make.

I had two chef friends tell me they had never had such a decadent dessert.

Happy Christmas to you!

Why not make the chocolate pie gluten-free? The pudding type filling usually is, just make a gluten-free crust with gluten-free chocolate wafers. Like these: http://pamelasproducts.com/products/cookies-and-biscotti/simplebites-mini-cookies/#!prettyPhoto

That way everyone has the same thing. Or make her her own in a fancy bowl with some of the cookies just crumbles on the bottom and top?

How about the flourless peanut butter cookies? One large egg, One cup of peanut butter, one cup of sugar. Mix together, form dough into balls, roll in sugar, then bake 'til they're done. You could even color the sugar you roll them in - some red, some green.

I've never made these because I don't think I can do peanuts. But I'm going to get some cashew butter next time I'm at the healthfood store and try that.

I have a different recipie than that one and its a nonbake version. Take some peanutbutter (this is for a single searving) about 2 tbsp worth, a drizzle of honey, dry powdered milk, and either chocolate chips or trailmix. Mix together and let sit in fridge till firm. This recipie is really easy and it can be adjusted. I cannot remember how much of which to add, but its easy enough to figure out. I did this in my middleschool once and it was a big hit.

You can also add any flour instead of the powdered milk.

You could make a chocolate mousse with some French orange liquor and serve it inside halved-and-scooped-empty oranges, and decorate it with some candied ginger. There is also a version made with white chocolate and pink grapefruit.

Apple pie. Or, really, as my husband prefers, apple pie filling, maybe with a crumb top. Pretty much exactly how you'd make an apple pie, but without the crust. Because the inside is my husband's favorite part anyway. :)

We also like doing berry cobblers, though more in September when we can pick fresh berries.

Now I re- read, I think I misunderstood. The choc pie is gluten-free and you want something else! What about fudge? Peanut brittle? Choc truffles rolled in the little red & green jimmys are fun. Candy is a good make ahead. Meringue cookies with peppermint pieces in them. You can dye them green with food coloring. Red usually looks pink but you can get a nice minty green.

Saw a cute thing where they dip big marshmallows in chocolate or white chocolate and roll in crushed candy canes or jimmys. They put them on sticks for stirring hot chocolate but I think it would be a fun dessert for kids.

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, make it even easier on yourself--they sell French-style Maccarons (maccaroons) in peppermint, chocolate, and vanilla in the frozen dessert area. They're gluten free and look/taste special for the holidays. I've been bringing them to all the holiday parties I've been invited to, and everyone has loved them.

Why not check out the desserts thread for awesome ideas? I am making Eton Mess next week. Involves cream, rasperries, raspberry coulis and meringue. Or any other tart fruit. Very easy but lovely. Google recipe. I may have posted it on here but have a houseful of company at the moment. How about pavlova? Panna cotta, pots de creme, semifreddo, creme caramel, creme brulee? Sound hard but are not.

I am making Eton Mess next week. Involves cream, rasperries, raspberry coulis and meringue. Or any other tart fruit. Very easy but lovely. Google recipe.

Good grief, love2travel, you're such a gourmet cook! I wish I could come visit you!

OOH...here is another, from Melissa at

http://www.glutenfreeforgood.com/blog/

(she is an amazing writer and celiac advocate)

Margaret’s Cheesecake

What you need

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened

2/3 cup, plus 3 tablespoons sugar

3 extra large eggs

1 & 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 carton (8 ounces) sour cream

What you do

Beat together until smooth — cream cheese, 2/3 cup of the sugar, eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla. pour the mixture into a buttered 9 & 1/2 inch glass pie plate. (This Pyrex pie plate works the best. It’s a touch bigger than traditional pie plates.) Bake in preheated, 350° oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until puffy and lightly brown around the edges. When done, it should spring back when lightly touched in the center. Cool cheesecake at room temperature (will sink slightly). Whisk together sour cream, remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Spread over cheesecake 1/2 inch from edges. Continue to bake at 350° for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Cool and refrigerate. Top with fresh fruit or fruit compote if desired (optional, it’s just as good plain).

Why not check out the desserts thread for awesome ideas? I am making Eton Mess next week. Involves cream, rasperries, raspberry coulis and meringue. Or any other tart fruit. Very easy but lovely. Google recipe. I may have posted it on here but have a houseful of company at the moment. How about pavlova? Panna cotta, pots de creme, semifreddo, creme caramel, creme brulee? Sound hard but are not.

Why not just let Lovie cook for you? :)

Not sure if you would like a cold dessert but this is what we always have at my house in Australia. Soften some vanila icecream and then stir through whatever you like. My favourite is gluten-free marshmallows, gluten-free turkish delight (or any other jellies or sweets or even a choc bar), choc chips, raspberries and pistachio nuts. Then just refreeze in a nice mould. You can decorate with melted choc or any way you want. Use whatever sweets, crushed cookies, nuts etc that you llike. Always good.

Just made "Better than Sex" chex mix. It tasted great before I added the Drizzles and salt even.

Just made "Better than Sex" chex mix. It tasted great before I added the Drizzles and salt even.

I've made a "Better than Sex" cake before (but that title is somewhat debatable, really .....don't we all agree?...) :lol:

I've made a "Better than Sex" cake before (but that title is somewhat debatable, really don't we all agree?...) :lol:

Yes. Whoever came up with that name lacks a basic understanding of the term "insulin spike."

I saw that on one of the British cooking shows; it is a "mess" :lol: but also looks very yummy. May do for Christmas.

It is a mess. A glorious one. I'm making it this weekend with blackberries and pink peppercorns.

Good grief, love2travel, you're such a gourmet cook! I wish I could come visit you!

I would LOVE it if you did! We could cook up such a storm we wouldn't even notice the cold and snow! :D

My sister-in-law and I went nuts making both regular and gluten-free desserts on Thanksgiving and no one even made it to them! So for Christmas, she's making some cookies and I'm making gluten-free Rice Krispy Treats - easy stuff to pack up and send home with everyone. However, bc I came up with this plan today, I've been craving a rice krispy treat ALL day!!!

My family's traditional holiday dessert is a Swedish-style rice pudding, which is naturally gluten free. Easy to make: it's a 1/2 cup of rice cooked in 2 1/2 cups whole milk until the rice starts to soften. Then you add an egg beaten into 1/2 a cup of half and half, and you cook everything over low heat until it thickens - takes about 15 minutes, and you've got to stir the whole time so the milk doesn't curdle. Then you add sugar to taste, a bit of vanilla and a pat of butter. Chill and serve sprinkled with cinnamon. Also good for breakfast :)

You are all so helpful! I really liked the cookie idea so I made some and put them in the freezer, but I'm going to make something else from this thread too - they all look so good I'll have to decide what. There can never be too much dessert with my family. Maybe we should just skip Christmas dinner completely and go straight to dessert.

Maybe we should just skip Christmas dinner completely and go straight to dessert.

There are very few among us who would argue with that suggestion, Kelleybean! :D

Happy Christmas to you, hon!