30 replies to this topic

#1 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

My parents and in-laws are coming for Christmas dinner. I'm going to make a chocolate pie but want to do another dessert. My 4 year old is the only one that's gluten free, but I want him to be able to eat whatever is on the table. Since it's going to be very chaotic with everyone here, it'd help if it was easy. Any favorite gluten free recipes out there that even gluten eaters have loved?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

How about the flourless peanut butter cookies? One large egg, One cup of peanut butter, one cup of sugar. Mix together, form dough into balls, roll in sugar, then bake 'til they're done. You could even color the sugar you roll them in - some red, some green.

I've never made these because I don't think I can do peanuts. But I'm going to get some cashew butter next time I'm at the healthfood store and try that.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

This one is awesome. I have made it many times, to rave reviews.

http://www.kingarthu...ate-cake-recipe

You can skip the espresso powder and just use the vanilla

This cake is ridiculously good and simple to make.

I had two chef friends tell me they had never had such a decadent dessert.

Happy Christmas to you!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Why not make the chocolate pie gluten-free? The pudding type filling usually is, just make a gluten-free crust with gluten-free chocolate wafers. Like these: http://pamelasproducts.com/products/cookies-and-biscotti/simplebites-mini-cookies/#!prettyPhoto

That way everyone has the same thing. Or make her her own in a fancy bowl with some of the cookies just crumbles on the bottom and top?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

How about the flourless peanut butter cookies? One large egg, One cup of peanut butter, one cup of sugar. Mix together, form dough into balls, roll in sugar, then bake 'til they're done. You could even color the sugar you roll them in - some red, some green.

I've never made these because I don't think I can do peanuts. But I'm going to get some cashew butter next time I'm at the healthfood store and try that.

I have a different recipie than that one and its a nonbake version. Take some peanutbutter (this is for a single searving) about 2 tbsp worth, a drizzle of honey, dry powdered milk, and either chocolate chips or trailmix. Mix together and let sit in fridge till firm. This recipie is really easy and it can be adjusted. I cannot remember how much of which to add, but its easy enough to figure out. I did this in my middleschool once and it was a big hit.

You can also add any flour instead of the powdered milk.

#6 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

You could make a chocolate mousse with some French orange liquor and serve it inside halved-and-scooped-empty oranges, and decorate it with some candied ginger. There is also a version made with white chocolate and pink grapefruit.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Apple pie. Or, really, as my husband prefers, apple pie filling, maybe with a crumb top. Pretty much exactly how you'd make an apple pie, but without the crust. Because the inside is my husband's favorite part anyway. :)

We also like doing berry cobblers, though more in September when we can pick fresh berries.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Now I re- read, I think I misunderstood. The choc pie is gluten-free and you want something else! What about fudge? Peanut brittle? Choc truffles rolled in the little red & green jimmys are fun. Candy is a good make ahead. Meringue cookies with peppermint pieces in them. You can dye them green with food coloring. Red usually looks pink but you can get a nice minty green.

Saw a cute thing where they dip big marshmallows in chocolate or white chocolate and roll in crushed candy canes or jimmys. They put them on sticks for stirring hot chocolate but I think it would be a fun dessert for kids.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#9 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, make it even easier on yourself--they sell French-style Maccarons (maccaroons) in peppermint, chocolate, and vanilla in the frozen dessert area. They're gluten free and look/taste special for the holidays. I've been bringing them to all the holiday parties I've been invited to, and everyone has loved them.

#10 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Why not check out the desserts thread for awesome ideas? I am making Eton Mess next week. Involves cream, rasperries, raspberry coulis and meringue. Or any other tart fruit. Very easy but lovely. Google recipe. I may have posted it on here but have a houseful of company at the moment. How about pavlova? Panna cotta, pots de creme, semifreddo, creme caramel, creme brulee? Sound hard but are not.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

I am making Eton Mess next week. Involves cream, rasperries, raspberry coulis and meringue. Or any other tart fruit. Very easy but lovely. Google recipe.

I saw that on one of the British cooking shows; it is a "mess" :lol: but also looks very yummy. May do for Christmas.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Good grief, love2travel, you're such a gourmet cook! I wish I could come visit you!

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

OOH...here is another, from Melissa at
http://www.glutenfreeforgood.com/blog/
(she is an amazing writer and celiac advocate)

Margaret’s Cheesecake

What you need

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup, plus 3 tablespoons sugar
3 extra large eggs
1 & 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 carton (8 ounces) sour cream

What you do

Beat together until smooth — cream cheese, 2/3 cup of the sugar, eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla. pour the mixture into a buttered 9 & 1/2 inch glass pie plate. (This Pyrex pie plate works the best. It’s a touch bigger than traditional pie plates.) Bake in preheated, 350° oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until puffy and lightly brown around the edges. When done, it should spring back when lightly touched in the center. Cool cheesecake at room temperature (will sink slightly). Whisk together sour cream, remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Spread over cheesecake 1/2 inch from edges. Continue to bake at 350° for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Cool and refrigerate. Top with fresh fruit or fruit compote if desired (optional, it’s just as good plain).

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#14 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Why not check out the desserts thread for awesome ideas? I am making Eton Mess next week. Involves cream, rasperries, raspberry coulis and meringue. Or any other tart fruit. Very easy but lovely. Google recipe. I may have posted it on here but have a houseful of company at the moment. How about pavlova? Panna cotta, pots de creme, semifreddo, creme caramel, creme brulee? Sound hard but are not.

Why not just let Lovie cook for you? :)

LTES

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Why not just let Lovie cook for you? :)

:lol:K, this makes the most sense to me..

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: