30 replies to this topic

#16 taddums

taddums

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Not sure if you would like a cold dessert but this is what we always have at my house in Australia. Soften some vanila icecream and then stir through whatever you like. My favourite is gluten-free marshmallows, gluten-free turkish delight (or any other jellies or sweets or even a choc bar), choc chips, raspberries and pistachio nuts. Then just refreeze in a nice mould. You can decorate with melted choc or any way you want. Use whatever sweets, crushed cookies, nuts etc that you llike. Always good.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Just made "Better than Sex" chex mix. It tasted great before I added the Drizzles and salt even.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Just made "Better than Sex" chex mix. It tasted great before I added the Drizzles and salt even.

I've made a "Better than Sex" cake before (but that title is somewhat debatable, really .....don't we all agree?...) :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

I've made a "Better than Sex" cake before (but that title is somewhat debatable, really don't we all agree?...) :lol:

Yes. Whoever came up with that name lacks a basic understanding of the term "insulin spike."
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#20 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

I saw that on one of the British cooking shows; it is a "mess" :lol: but also looks very yummy. May do for Christmas.

It is a mess. A glorious one. I'm making it this weekend with blackberries and pink peppercorns.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#21 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Good grief, love2travel, you're such a gourmet cook! I wish I could come visit you!

I would LOVE it if you did! We could cook up such a storm we wouldn't even notice the cold and snow! :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#22 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

My sister-in-law and I went nuts making both regular and gluten-free desserts on Thanksgiving and no one even made it to them! So for Christmas, she's making some cookies and I'm making gluten-free Rice Krispy Treats - easy stuff to pack up and send home with everyone. However, bc I came up with this plan today, I've been craving a rice krispy treat ALL day!!!

#23 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

My family's traditional holiday dessert is a Swedish-style rice pudding, which is naturally gluten free. Easy to make: it's a 1/2 cup of rice cooked in 2 1/2 cups whole milk until the rice starts to soften. Then you add an egg beaten into 1/2 a cup of half and half, and you cook everything over low heat until it thickens - takes about 15 minutes, and you've got to stir the whole time so the milk doesn't curdle. Then you add sugar to taste, a bit of vanilla and a pat of butter. Chill and serve sprinkled with cinnamon. Also good for breakfast :)

#24 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

You are all so helpful! I really liked the cookie idea so I made some and put them in the freezer, but I'm going to make something else from this thread too - they all look so good I'll have to decide what. There can never be too much dessert with my family. Maybe we should just skip Christmas dinner completely and go straight to dessert.

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

Maybe we should just skip Christmas dinner completely and go straight to dessert.

There are very few among us who would argue with that suggestion, Kelleybean! :D
Happy Christmas to you, hon!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#26 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

I once had a party 12 girls 12 desserts. Just add ice cream and stir slightly
:)

Edited to add, I was one of the girls. No, I think I just dug the hole deeper :o
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#27 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

We are having 7 for Christmas dinner-- I'm making 3 pies (pecan, chocolate cream and mince), chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies dipped in chocolate, plus the biscotti I ordered from the gluten-free bakery.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#28 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

We are having 7 for Christmas dinner-- I'm making 3 pies (pecan, chocolate cream and mince), chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies dipped in chocolate, plus the biscotti I ordered from the gluten-free bakery.

I notice you didn't mention green beans or ham or a roast. :0

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#29 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

I notice you didn't mention green beans or ham or a roast. :0

We really do have some kind of weird food thing going on! It happens that I am making a ham, rib roast, and green beans with almond butter sauce (among other things).

So, what do you think we should make tonight? lol
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#30 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

We really do have some kind of weird food thing going on! It happens that I am making a ham, rib roast, and green beans with almond butter sauce (among other things).

So, what do you think we should make tonight? lol

We are having chili. Might make some of the pb choc chip cookies

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: