Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know Anything About Mission Foods?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 KnightRobby

KnightRobby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

I searched the forums and didn't really find any information about them. I've heard they are Gluten free but I really don't know what to think. I know they used to have Gluten free labeling and claim they are going through the FDA process and that is all. You can read about them here: http://missionfoods.com/FAQs.aspx

I was wondering how many of you have bought their products? Have you had a good experience or bad experience with them?

Thanks for the replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

I use their white corn tortillas without an issue. :)

I used up the last of them a few days ago, but if i remember right, the gluten free label was on the back of the tortillas :)

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

Mission are the only brand of tortillas I will buy. I use both yellow and white corn tortillas depending on my mood. I tend to be rather sensitive and have never had a problem.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

Many of us use them with no issue. There are many references to them on this forum using the google search.

They say they run only corn on corn machines. That is like many certified gluten-free products and many other foods.

They say nothing about " going through the FDA process" to be gluten-free. There is no FDA process and they acknowledge that. Many companies seem to have decided not to label gluten-free until there is an actual ruling on the definition of gluten-free is and what procedures must be taken to claim gluten-free status on a product.

"Why is gluten free no longer on your package?
The FDA has been working on issuing a final ruling on the issue of “gluten free product”. We decided as a company to remove gluten free from our packaging until the final ruling is passed, and then we will make adjustment in our packaging, if any. The last update we have from the FDA is that they have a proposal on this issue. If you would like to get further information on this ruling, you can visit the FDA website."

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I've used both the yellow and white corn tortillas for the past nine years and have never had a problem.

#6 KnightRobby

KnightRobby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

Okay great. Thanks everyone for the information.

I haven't noticed any differences when eating their foods. Thankfully, they are really good too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: