This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Know If It's Really Gluten Free?!

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

Yesterday I was out shopping with a friend and we were pretty far from home. I didn't plan on being out long but lunch time came and went and it was going on 2 and we were starving. I KNOW I should have went to a grocery store and gotten some safe food but noooo..I caved and went to a fast food place and got chili and a baked potato. It was on their gluten free menu. I am sick as a dog right now. Major D, headache...the works.

Guess I wont ever be going back there again.

How can we know if the restaurants are really gluten free when they say that they are?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Can i assume you went to wendy's (based off of the two items)? Generally, they have good policies in place. However, in fast food joints, you need to remind them that they have to change their gloves and whatnot so you don't get sick.

Not all places are the same. Some have very good policies and some on here have done well with them, while others are terrible.

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

I have the same question. I am invited out to dinner tonight, and while I know a couple of places that do gluten-free, I am not sure how to ensure that, and also how to ensure they don't have my other "no no" foods without embarrassing my friend acting like a whimpering chick.

julissa Explorer

so sorry that happened to you, feel better.

yesterday I was out with my dh and friends and we saw a pizza place that had a sign that said gluten free pizza. so we went in and I asked about it. I saw flour all over the counter, and everything out in the open. I was told they have the gluten-free ingredients in another room, have a separate oven, and use separate utensils. that made me feel like there was promise there. I didn't eat since we had just eaten, but I would go back and try it. my friend who was with me was amazed at all the questions I was asking. I think you just have to be proactive and ask questions before you have anything out.

shadowicewolf Proficient

What i do is i tell the waiter and keep reminding them. Its no different then notifying them that ya have a peanut or a shellfish allergy. They may not know what it is, so sometimes you can say you're allergic to whatever it is you can't have. They definently know that one.

Adalaide Mentor

Before going low iodine I went to Wendy's on a pretty regular basis. It is my go to place if I am out and absolutely have to eat. The chili is fine, the potato needs to be uncut. You need to request that they put on clean gloves before handling your food. It is never enough when dining out to order gluten free foods, we must always request special handling of our food and let them know that it is due to special dietary needs. That said, I would never dream of going into a Wendy's at a busy time of day. That is simply asking for trouble. This is one of those times that the guiding principle of "when in doubt, go without" needs to be remembered. Being hungry for an afternoon is better than being glutened.

GFreeMO Proficient

It would be nice to ask the employees to change gloves but I do not speak Spanish. I tried to ask them to put my friends food on a different tray and they didn't understand. It was all on the same tray. She had fries and they rested them up against my chili so that they wouldn't fall over I assume.

I was thinking about the gluten while eating..they go from the sandwiches to the chili to the cups and then to the sandwiches again over and over..then, they have chili cheese fries at my Wendys...Who knows...What I do know is that I got sick there.

Live and learn I guess.

When in doubt go without! I need to remember this. - next time, I am going to the grocery store for my lunch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

Thanks SIW - it worked tonight; the soy-and-canola was easy to do given the cuisine, they made no problems subbing polenta for potatoes, and when I said I was on a gluten-free diet the manager offered me to cook gluten-free pasta with any of the combinations on the menu, and came by to make sure the order was correctly handled.

kareng Grand Master

I do find that Wendy's workers seem to understand "allergy to bread". Usually the person at the counter speaks English. Say the allergy really loud and a manager will hear. I get the potato and tell them not to open it. Then I get the little packets of butter and sour cream. Frostys are hard to contaminate

Adalaide Mentor

I know at all of the Wendy's I have ever been to in Utah, and it is my understanding that it is "supposed" to be policy at all Wendy's that fries should always be done in a dedicated fryer. If you let them open your potato for you, I would almost certainly guarantee that this is what got you and not the fries leaning on your chili. Never order fries without grilling them about the fryer.

OMG yes... Frostys!!! Pretty much impossible to CC. Grab cup, pull lever. I love to dip fries in Frostys, it makes a great lunch.

Just a tip, if you ever do go back to one, do not order with another person. I don't even order with my husband when everyone there speaks English. I want my own food on my own tray, and all of it treated like if it comes withing 10 feet of a bun I will spontaneously combust right there in their lobby. I have gone so far on occasion as to order an actual burger and still not had a problem as long as the workers and I speak the same native language and I can instruct them properly. Failing that, I always stick with things like the chili, Frosty or fries, the counter person always speaks English.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Wait, wait, wait.... so frostys are gluten free?

Adalaide Mentor

Whoa whoa whoa... stop this train. I seriously did not make it a week past my diagnosis without this information. You need to go get in your car and get you a Frosty!

shadowicewolf Proficient

I haven't had one in over 1.5 years :blink:

Adalaide Mentor

I haven't had one in over 1.5 years :blink:

You poor thing. :( That may be the saddest thing I ever heard. It is the primary reason Wendy's became my go-to if I just HAD to eat and wasn't home. I also have a keychain so every time I go I get a free kid sized Frosty. I just grill the counter person, harass them about stuff and get some fries to dip in it.

• 2 weeks later...
DownWithGluten Explorer

and also how to ensure they don't have my other "no no" foods without embarrassing my friend acting like a whimpering chick.

Oh my friend I'm the quintessential "whimpering chick." I've been on the gluten free diet since 2007 and have only gotten glutened twice, both in 2008. The price of this success is being the whimpering chick, the doubter, the annoying person who doesn't eat what people offer, who looks rude or possible hypochondriac or attention-seeker, that high maintenance person who has to call restaurants and venues themselves every time. I loathe being high maintenance but it's the price I've had to pay, and my intestines thank me. This includes at workplace functions, workplace outings...those are often the hardest. And then parties with friends, etc. It's especially difficult when they THINK they're doing it right and are at least considerate enough to think of me...but I still have to be the whimpering chick and not take them at face value. They usually endure 20 questions, indicate some doubt over an ingredient or reveal something they hadn't thought of that they forgot to check for gluten... enough for me to be afraid and not eat it anyway. And then everyone feels awkward and bad.

So what's my point? I've fared very well physically...will be exactly Six Years Gluten Free come tomorrow (New Year's Day), and only two times, within the first two years, have I gotten sick from accidental glutening. But to do so, yes, I have HAD to be the whimpering chick. The choice is yours. Sadly, those are our options. However, there are more gluten free options nowadays even from when I started!

getting off my soapbox...As for the OP and fast food...the only thing I ever get from Wendy's is the Frosty, as others have mentioned. Fast food frightens me. I believe I got a baked potato at Arby's another time, with no butter or anything, but that's it.

TiffanyKatherine Newbie

I love off their Frosty's and fries with mayo packets, I have no issues :)

TiffanyKatherine Newbie

Wendy's is the only fast food I go to now. If I want fast but more homestyle-ish food I hit up Swiss Chalet a lot now.

cap6 Enthusiast

It would be nice to ask the employees to change gloves but I do not speak Spanish. I tried to ask them to put my friends food on a different tray and they didn't understand. It was all on the same tray. She had fries and they rested them up against my chili so that they wouldn't fall over I assume.

I was thinking about the gluten while eating..they go from the sandwiches to the chili to the cups and then to the sandwiches again over and over..then, they have chili cheese fries at my Wendys...Who knows...What I do know is that I got sick there.

Live and learn I guess.

When in doubt go without! I need to remember this. - next time, I am going to the grocery store for my lunch.

I used to eat Chili & potato at Wendy's untill i looked around and thought this very same thing! Even tho the potato is wrapped & uncut gluten hands may have touched it at some point. For me, it's just not worth the risk any more. All fast food is out...... except a Wendy's frosty and I wrap a napkin around the cup!

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

I tried one of the chicken sandwiches at Wendy's that was supposed to be gluten free (sans bun of course) and got a most unpleasant reaction, so looks like the only food that is edible for me there now are the Frosty's (which is fine with me)

Adalaide Mentor

I tried one of the chicken sandwiches at Wendy's that was supposed to be gluten free (sans bun of course) and got a most unpleasant reaction, so looks like the only food that is edible for me there now are the Frosty's (which is fine with me)

The issue with any sandwich meats is very tricky. It becomes a very serious issue to explain exactly how important it is that they take CC seriously, change their gloves, etc etc. I have done this with burgers a few times when I was just dying for meat, but only at what I call my home store. In this case, I am not far from home but instead it is 5 minutes away and I know I can trust them. I go when it isn't busy and explain the issue like I am explaining it to a 4 year old. Not condescendingly, but patiently and thoroughly.

I'm on pins and needles waiting for Utah Wendy's to announce their fundraiser again this month for the adoption charity they did last year. They sell a keychain for $1 and every time you go in you get a free kid size Frosty. FOR A YEAR!

• 2 weeks later...
KikiB Explorer

Whoa whoa whoa... stop this train. I seriously did not make it a week past my diagnosis without this information. You need to go get in your car and get you a Frosty!

Does that mean a McFlurry is gluten free? (Depending on which topping you choose?) Is all soft serve ice cream gluten free?

Adalaide Mentor

I wouldn't step foot in a McDonald's unless I had a gun to my head. But to each his own. If I can't eat the fries, I'm not walking through the door. Personal policy. So McFlurries? I have no idea. I never cared for them anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
CommonTater Contributor

We have stopped eating out because I got so sick last time and I only got veggies. :unsure:

My trust level is a zero now. I really miss going out. :(

rebeccanicole88 Rookie

So are fries safe at a fast food restraunt?

mushroom Proficient

So are fries safe at a fast food restraunt?

Only if they use a dedicated fryer, otherwise they will be cc'd.

Archived