arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How To Know If It's Really Gluten Free?!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 TiffanyKatherine

TiffanyKatherine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Wait, wait, wait.... so frostys are gluten free?

I love off their Frosty's and fries with mayo packets, I have no issues :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 TiffanyKatherine

TiffanyKatherine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Wendy's is the only fast food I go to now. If I want fast but more homestyle-ish food I hit up Swiss Chalet a lot now.

#18 cap6

cap6

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

It would be nice to ask the employees to change gloves but I do not speak Spanish. I tried to ask them to put my friends food on a different tray and they didn't understand. It was all on the same tray. She had fries and they rested them up against my chili so that they wouldn't fall over I assume.

I was thinking about the gluten while eating..they go from the sandwiches to the chili to the cups and then to the sandwiches again over and over..then, they have chili cheese fries at my Wendys...Who knows...What I do know is that I got sick there.

Live and learn I guess.

When in doubt go without! I need to remember this. - next time, I am going to the grocery store for my lunch.

I used to eat Chili & potato at Wendy's untill i looked around and thought this very same thing! Even tho the potato is wrapped & uncut gluten hands may have touched it at some point. For me, it's just not worth the risk any more. All fast food is out...... except a Wendy's frosty and I wrap a napkin around the cup!

#19 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I tried one of the chicken sandwiches at Wendy's that was supposed to be gluten free (sans bun of course) and got a most unpleasant reaction, so looks like the only food that is edible for me there now are the Frosty's (which is fine with me)

#20 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

I tried one of the chicken sandwiches at Wendy's that was supposed to be gluten free (sans bun of course) and got a most unpleasant reaction, so looks like the only food that is edible for me there now are the Frosty's (which is fine with me)

The issue with any sandwich meats is very tricky. It becomes a very serious issue to explain exactly how important it is that they take CC seriously, change their gloves, etc etc. I have done this with burgers a few times when I was just dying for meat, but only at what I call my home store. In this case, I am not far from home but instead it is 5 minutes away and I know I can trust them. I go when it isn't busy and explain the issue like I am explaining it to a 4 year old. Not condescendingly, but patiently and thoroughly.

I'm on pins and needles waiting for Utah Wendy's to announce their fundraiser again this month for the adoption charity they did last year. They sell a keychain for $1 and every time you go in you get a free kid size Frosty. FOR A YEAR!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#21 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Whoa whoa whoa... stop this train. I seriously did not make it a week past my diagnosis without this information. You need to go get in your car and get you a Frosty!

Does that mean a McFlurry is gluten free? (Depending on which topping you choose?) Is all soft serve ice cream gluten free?

#22 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I wouldn't step foot in a McDonald's unless I had a gun to my head. But to each his own. If I can't eat the fries, I'm not walking through the door. Personal policy. So McFlurries? I have no idea. I never cared for them anyway.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#23 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

We have stopped eating out because I got so sick last time and I only got veggies. :unsure:
My trust level is a zero now. I really miss going out. :(

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#24 rebeccanicole88

rebeccanicole88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

So are fries safe at a fast food restraunt?
Gluten Free since 2010
Chocolate Free since 2013

#25 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

So are fries safe at a fast food restraunt?

Only if they use a dedicated fryer, otherwise they will be cc'd.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#26 islandmomma

islandmomma

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Okay, and frosties at Wendy's are gluten free? WHO KNEW :D??????
Look and see, Dick and Jane, the new Wendy's convert!! Thanks guys.

jan

#27 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

True story, we went to restaurant while out of town. I told them I was extremely sensitive to gluten, then explained it in detail. I thought they understood. They told me the hamburger steak was safe without the gravy so I ordered that and veggies. When the food arrived I took a big bite of the Hamburger steak and told my husband how good it was. After a few bites a light bulb went off! Oh my gosh this meat has bread crumbs in it! It's TOO tender, something about the texture made me question it! My husband went to the Manager and sure enough it had bread crumbs! What were they thinking when we explained all this and they told me that was wheat free?? Needless to say I got very sick. and was in a lot of pain for days. Now I don't trust eating out. :(

I guess you have to question EVERY thing thing even when they tell you it's safe. BE CAREFUL.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#28 rebeccanicole88

rebeccanicole88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I don't like to eat out anymore. I watched all my friends eat at waffle house the other morning. As I set there, I was disgusted at the things I saw. The bread was cross contaminating everything. Ugh :(
Gluten Free since 2010
Chocolate Free since 2013

#29 SmileyKylie

SmileyKylie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

If the waiter or person taking the order doesn't appear educated on Gluten free, the restaurant does not properly educate their staff and stay away. Take Jason's Deli for example. The person who carries out your food was able to explain to me that they brought me packaged chips so they don't risk someone not changing their gloves and reaching into the bag. All she does is carry the food out and she gets it. So ask questions when you go out to test their knowledge. Fast food places I try questions like, "Do you cook the fries in a separate frier?" Sometimes the person will reply by asking if I am gluten free. That is a good sign! Another good question is, "What gluten free salad dressings do you have?" Uneducated people don't usually know there can be gluten in salad dressings. Then start making a safe restaurant list in your local area. It has way more to do with the management than with the menu, any restaurant can create a gluten free item.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: