This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Diet Or Gluten Free Lifestyle?

captaincrab55

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

I was just informed on FB that the Gluten Free diet is Old School and it's now the Gluten Free Lifestyle. Your thoughts on this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kareng Grand Master

I am laughing so hard right now! Open Original Shared Link

shadowicewolf Proficient

:blink: that smily....

Doesn't matter to me as its both

IrishHeart Veteran

I am laughing so hard right now! Open Original Shared Link

laughing-my-ass-off-smiley-emoticon.gif me too...LMAO.. I just call it "my life" .

but what do I know...I happen to like anything "Old School"

Adalaide Mentor

I am simply gluten free. Is this the kind of stupid crap people really debate over? :blink:

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

Maybe because people got sick of hearing, "Oh, a diet? How much weight are you trying to lose?"

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I just like to live my life with style :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chaff Explorer

I think the difference is we do it to live, the "lifestylers" do it to be cool.

Persei V. Enthusiast

I usually get super annoyed with people on Tumblr thinking it's a diet to lose weight and go one about eating a slice of gluteny bread per day because "I heard it's too hard".

I myself prefer lifestyle.

kareng Grand Master

I worked "gluten-free lifestyle" into one of my posts. :D

It really is a way of living -not just a diet. We don't go to just any place to eat, we can't shop at just any store if we want bread or crackers, we have to scan ingredients everytime we buy the same brand of canned tomatoes, etc.

For me, I'm older and grouchy and don't really care if I fit in any longer. :o

IrishHeart Veteran

For me, I'm older and grouchy and don't really care if I fit in any longer. :o

You are a teensy bit grouchy sometimes, K,----- but it's what makes you so darn adorable.

You have a squishy soft marshmallow inside to that crunchy outer shell. :D

I realized after a year or so, I never even use the words "gluten free" as in grocery lists, etc.

I used to write things like "get gluten free brown rice flour" or "gluten free crackers"

now, I just say flour, crackers, etc.

It's not a lifestyle or a trend or even a diet in my mind anymore.

I refer to it as the "G F diet " when speaking with new people, yes, but

I do not clarify it about myself anymore.

It's the new normal. It's for the rest of my life.

It just IS...my life. I am old. Ergo, I am "old school".

In the "old days" people had an expression "the swinger's lifestyle" and now, all I can think of when I hear the word "lifestyle" is wife swapping parties....

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

I usually get super annoyed with people on Tumblr thinking it's a diet to lose weight and go one about eating a slice of gluteny bread per day because "I heard it's too hard".

What the...? Are you serious? People do it to lose weight? If anything, it has the opposite effect; at least it did so on me, and even if that didn't help with my having to drop +25 lbs, at least it made me feel less of an invalid, and I don't have to plan my routes around ladies rooms anymore. I think that idea only applies to people who eat tons of junk, and since a lot of junk is not gluten-free, and gluten-free junk costs an eye and a kidney, the simply clean up their eating act. <_<

You are a teensy bit grouchy sometimes, K,----- but it's what makes you so darn adorable.

Thank you, IrishHeart, for introducing me to the disturbing desire of biting off one of Karen's fingers. Figuratively, don't worry, Karen. :D

IrishHeart Veteran

Thank you, IrishHeart, for introducing me to the disturbing desire of biting off one of Karen's fingers. Figuratively, don't worry, Karen. :D

:lol: hey, K--we've got a "live one" here...!!!

Adalaide Mentor

In the "old days" people had an expression "the swinger's lifestyle" and now, all I can think of when I hear the word "lifestyle" is wife swapping parties....

I think we're all sufficiently disturbed now. :lol:

Seriously though, when I hear "lifestyle" what I hear is "hip" "trendy" and "choice." None of these apply to me. I am also most certainly not on a diet.

I don't think I have ever written the words gluten free on my shopping list. As for using it when I talk to people? When I need to. Someone once got all excited telling me about how she found a chocolate bar at the grocery store that wa smarked gluten free. I was like marketing ploy to charge more, of course its gluten free... its chocolate!!! When people who have no freaking clue what the hell they are talking about bring it up to me it drives me up a wall. I'm thankful in those moments I only slap them silly in my head. It is the "diet" and "lifestyle" trend crap that brings this on and makes them think its okay to talk to me like they think they're smart or know something.

IrishHeart Veteran

. Is this the kind of stupid crap people really debate over? :blink:

Disturbingly, YES. :rolleyes:

IrishHeart Veteran

Seriously though, when I hear "lifestyle" what I hear is "hip" "trendy" and "choice." None of these apply to me. I am also most certainly not on a diet.

When people who have no freaking clue what the hell they are talking about bring it up to me it drives me up a wall. I'm thankful in those moments I only slap them silly in my head. It is the "diet" and "lifestyle" trend crap that brings this on and makes them think its okay to talk to me like they think they're smart or know something.

I was once ironically called "the trendiest person alive" .

and here, do this in your head, rather than hit anyone

slapping.gif

kareng Grand Master

Captaincrab - Look what you have started! People want to bite off my fingers, wife swapping and now Irish is slapping people up side the head!

What a Lifestyle!

Open Original Shared Link

Adalaide Mentor

Captaincrab - Look what you have started! People want to bite off my fingers, wife swapping and now Irish is slapping people up side the head!

What a Lifestyle!

Open Original Shared Link

She basically described you as a smore, sans chocolate. Can you really blame anyone for wanting to bite your fingers off? Personally, I'd slather you in chocolate first but that is just a personal preference. Your lifestyle will soon not involve the forums because you won't be able to type unless you learn to do it with your nose. :lol:

kareng Grand Master

She basically described you as a smore, sans chocolate. Can you really blame anyone for wanting to bite your fingers off? Personally, I'd slather you in chocolate first but that is just a personal preference.

This is getting a bit racy! :ph34r:

Adalaide Mentor

This is getting a bit racy! :ph34r:

It wasn't meant to be.... SHE STARTED IT!!! *points at IH* :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, of course I meant she is covered in chocolate!....squishy marshmallow center, crunchy candy-coated outside DIPPED IN CHOCOLATE

geez, I thought that part was a given.

Capt. Crabby, I think part of this "lifestyle" --to use this word----means we are also whackadoodles.

And technically, I told Addy to "slap them inside her head"...not to really slap someone.

You know me.....I'm no fighter, I'm a lover.

wink-and-flirt-smiley-emoticon.gif

Adalaide Mentor

wink-and-flirt-smiley-emoticon.gif

These things keep getting creepier and creepier!

And yes, I'm the one hitting people. And I'm only imagining hitting them! I reserve it as response to things like "did you know Olive Garden has a gluten free menu?" Because if I actually have the money to go out to eat I'm going to go to a place that specializes in serving gluten and is a haven of cross contamination and will probably out of sheer stupidity bring me bread sticks just to see if they can actually make blood boil.

slapping.gif

This happens in my head while I scream at them to shut up. (Also in my head.) I smile and nod actually and say that's nice, or yeah, I knew that.

Sorry Karen, but you may not survive the night. :lol:

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

My local supermarket placed the barley flour in the 'free from' section.

They looked surprised that it was not a healthy choice, and that barley is not so popular with us gluten-free ers.

Maybe if it has not moved I will show the the slapping icon. Or maybe that scary lover one. Whatever it takes to get that c#@

IrishHeart Veteran

I may have strayed off topic, I am not sure where we were headed...

:lol: none of us do. No one is driving the bus at this point.

No worries, this "New School gluten free lifestyle" affords us the luxury of being wild, impetuous and insane terribly creative.

Adalaide Mentor

:lol: none of us do. No one is driving the bus at this point.

No worries, this "New School gluten free lifestyle" affords us the luxury of being wild, impetuous and insane terribly creative.

There's a bus? Oh no! I got on the train. OMG... what do I do? WHAT DO I DO!?!?

Archived