Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Free Diet Or Gluten Free Lifestyle?

• Please log in to reply

109 replies to this topic

#61 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

:lol: :lol: well, for Addy it seems to be ......at this moment in her "life style" .

Well... at least I refrain from actual slapping! And yes, imaginary slapping is a lifestyle.

I think she meant a name for a dietician

I could think of a few, but none I can repeat here. (I haven't had positive interactions.)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Fantastic, Takala! :lol:

Okay everyone.....Try and recall ROBIN LEACH's voiceover....remember that?? Hear him say this:

TONIGHT 's episode ON "LIfestyles of the celiac housewives who dream they can swap their hubs out for cabana boys and nibble on the fingers of KAREN"....we examine the ways we negotiate this "lifestyle" while driving a bus, hopping a train and washing down the contaminated shelves of the grocery aisles while trying not to slap silly the idiots who only THINK they know what a Gluten Free "diet" really means.

Gluten Free Lifestyle Sounds Like We Are Doing A Reality Show In the Whole Feuds Aisle !

Cabana boys... ladyfingers... mmm...
And then people ask me what I like in this forum.

BUT! I have put my Barnardo's thinking hat, and pulled out my Latin dictionary and my philological training:

DIET (via Old French) < Latin diæta (in medieval Latin di&#275;ta), < Greek δ&#943;αιτα ‘mode of life’

The old dead folks are laughing their pants off at all of us debating whether gluten-free is a δ&#943;αιτα or a δ&#943;αιτα. :lol:

However, they also knocked on my door, asking if we still had some cabana boys available. :ph34r:
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#63 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

How about gluten free life? As long as this heavily implies cabana boys I could live with that.

Nice crab by the way.

I find a sharp jab tempts me more than a slap. Imaginary of course :)

:o
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#64 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

So after reading this whole thread my brain is pretty scrambled and the only thing I can think of is Dr. Who. :huh:
(OK, cabana boys too)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#65 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

poor Cap...geesh, that a lot of hours to work..... sorry :(

but aren't you glad you asked what we thought? :lol:

:D :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoarthritis

#66 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Just wondering if there' a new title for,"Dietitian"???

not one that can be repeated here ( or in public ) <_< :angry:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#67 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

What the...? Are you serious? People do it to lose weight? If anything, it has the opposite effect; at least it did so on me, and even if that didn't help with my having to drop +25 lbs, at least it made me feel less of an invalid, and I don't have to plan my routes around ladies rooms anymore. I think that idea only applies to people who eat tons of junk, and since a lot of junk is not gluten-free, and gluten-free junk costs an eye and a kidney, the simply clean up their eating act. <_<

I would like not to be serious... But they basically just go clean and low carb. There was even one girl who said she scraped the cheese out of a pizza because there wasn't any gluten free food around in miles.

The cheese of a pizza.

She then added about being one of the gluten free perks of hers.

:rolleyes:
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#68 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

I think lifestyle applies because it goes beyond diet. At least for us. In our case it wasn't celiac but gluten and wheat intolerance. And if my daughter got those things on her skin, she got a rash. So we had to eliminate them totally from her life.

#69 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

I think she meant a name for a dietician

no, I was kidding the Capt. about asking this question and inspiring more pages of responses.
I was just joshing him. ;)

But I see that dieticians get "mixed reviews" from the troops.

From what I hear, I think our friends in Canada, the UK and NZ and Aus have better luck with helpful dieticians than those who are called "nutritionists" in the US.

But to answer the Capt.'s question:

A " gluten free lifetsyle-ician " is a bit clunky for a title. But I have seen "gluten free lifestyle coaches" advertise their services.

:mellow: hmm....don't most of us offer that for free right on here?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#70 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

Cabana boys... ladyfingers... mmm...
And then people ask me what I like in this forum.

hmm....The sage advice? the witty banter? the racy naughtiness? the "shenanigans and hooliganism" ? (I just like saying those words... )

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#71 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

All of the above. Also: endless discussion on a distinction without a difference.

I am going to adapt a version of this thread next semester when I teach my classes on humane food policies.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#72 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

All of the above. Also: endless discussion on a distinction without a difference.

I am going to adapt a version of this thread next semester when I teach my classes on humane food policies.

now, THAT is creative adaptation.

and if you want more suggestions for NYC safe restaurants, I have a list someone sent me. Shoot me a PM.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#73 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

:D :lol: You all have spent too much time in the malls or with 24-7 Christmas carrols... you're cracking! :P

Maybe we should just take back the title of "Picky Eater" and be done with it... If you tell someone you're a picky eater there isn't much they can say to that except, "oh." ;)

I just came back from a kids Xmas party where we could only eat corn chips... this thread fixed my mood right up. :D Thanks.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#74 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

:D :lol: You all have spent too much time in the malls or with 24-7 Christmas carrols... you're cracking! :P

Maybe we should just take back the title of "Picky Eater" and be done with it... If you tell someone you're a picky eater there isn't much they can say to that except, "oh." ;)

I am laughing so hard! Really....what can you say to a grown adult who says they are a picky eater? Posted Image

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#75 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

I am laughing so hard! Really....what can you say to a grown adult who says they are a picky eater? Posted Image

Get over it????
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009