Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are There Any Gluten Free Resorts Anywhere In The World?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 javic

javic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'm interested in finding a resort that is completely gluten free. I heard about one on the radio but when I did a search on Google I could not find anything.

Does anyone know of any gluten free resorts anywhere in the world?

Or have any idea of a travel agent or other place that might be able to help me find one?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Italy in general is very Celiac aware, you may find this useful.

http://en.hotelsmeraldo.info/description-gluten-free-lazise-hotel-smeraldo.html
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

I know of a couple of things. I don't have the time to look them up right now. If I forget, Message me tonight and I will get it to you.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

These people do guided trips : www.bobandruths.com
This is a B&B that is gluten-free : http://www.chickenparadise.com/

Ther are a couple of B&Bs in Vermont, too. Google gluten free bed and breakfasts.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 codetalker

codetalker

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I would be surprised, albeit pleasantly, if there was a completely gluten-free resort. With celiacs making up less than 1% of the population, a completely gluten-free resort would not seem like a viable business model. It would most likely suffer the fate of all the celiac singles sites. It would never attract the critical mass of users to be effective / cost-effective. There just aren't enough of us.

There could also be an issue when a couple or family were traveling together and not all were celiacs. If the resort accomodated gluten-eaters, then by definition they would not be completely gluten-free. There would then be a possible problem with cross-contamination.

Nice thought though.

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I would be surprised, albeit pleasantly, if there was a completely gluten-free resort. With celiacs making up less than 1% of the population, a completely gluten-free resort would not seem like a viable business model. It would most likely suffer the fate of all the celiac singles sites. It would never attract the critical mass of users to be effective / cost-effective. There just aren't enough of us.

There could also be an issue when a couple or family were traveling together and not all were celiacs. If the resort accomodated gluten-eaters, then by definition they would not be completely gluten-free. There would then be a possible problem with cross-contamination.

Nice thought though.

If a resort where totally gluten free, they could still accommodate the gluten eaters without any problems with cc....the gluten eaters can eat gluten-free for the vacation. What is the big deal with that? We eat NO differently than anyone else...we just don't eat gluten but many, many foods, including pastries and desserts can easily be made gluten free. If people aren't willing to do that for their loved ones, then clearly someone is in the wrong relationship.

#7 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

We were incredibly well taken care of at the Westion Ocean Villas on Maui. The Chef there, Francois, completely had things dialed--and I know it because he keeps the collander for the gluten-free pasta in his office! That is a great sign!

I, too, am looking for a great gluten-free resort, so keep us posted!

#8 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

http://www.villaggio...izi/ristorante/ Never been there, but by googling "resort celiachia glutine" a bunch came up. This place calls itself "a resort for celiacs" but I can't vouch personally because I never visited.

I think in Italy it is also a bit easier to be gluten-free because of the style of cooking, and you are less likely to find gluten-containing ingredients in dishes that are not obviously gluteny.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Well, it isn't a resort but it is a B&B that accommodates food allergies and intolerances - and it's in the AZ Wine Country.

Yes, AZ has wine!!

We have stayed there (pre gluten-free) and the owner is wonderful and very conscientious and accommodating.

http://www.whispersranch.com
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: