Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Family Emergency Trip

5 posts in this topic

my best friend i've known since kindergarten had the most awesome husband she could ever have. we went all over together, experienced triumph and tragedy, grew up, had kids, grandkids, etc. he had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and died. my girl called and i had to get there fast. so, i packed the dumbest suitcase ever and my sister got me a plane ticket. i packed 2 peanut butter and jelly on udi's and i knew i could get "something else" and a beverage at the airports. and i did and it was ok. then i got up there (northern nj) my sis got me some boar's head lunchmeat, udi's, chex,, blah etc., (survival stuff lolz) and everybody was bringing food to the house, which is customary. so, when my husband got there, we went to a(n awesome restaurant in hackettstown nj) and ordered, like 4 dinners and other gluten free stuff "to go" - it kept me from freaking out about cooking/cc everything and i was able to concentrate on the situation without starving or having to shop/cook/THINK about food. lasted the whole trip and i didn't have to worry about what i was eating and help my bestie. i just wanted to share because it was a great fear for me. made a terrible time a little less stressful to order out. when i flew home the other day, i noticed a whole lot of people waiting at the airport gates who had packed their own food, fyi, and didn't feel a bit strange eating my ham and swiss sandwich. oh, and, hahaha (not funny just 'funny') i had my pb&j sandwiches approved by airport security, yet they wouldn't serve the peanuts, just crackers and pretzels, on the airplane. because a person on the flight had a peanut allergy........ i resisted anarchy....... :) lolz

i hope this evening finds you all well, making the best you can, and professing your love to those who mean so much to you. God bless you all :)

Ads by Google:

I am so sorry about your friend's husband. I also think this post is fantastic, you and your dh really handled it well, what a great guy!

My condolences as well. That must have been very shocking for her, and for you as well. :(

Sorry to hear of your loss.

It does sound fantastically freeing to know that you can just get up and go and survive just fine. Your friend must have appreciated you so much too.

I wish you well in the coming weeks.

thank you - it was shocking and so heartbreaking. he was only 51. he and my husband were so close (and billy hates everybody lolz) when my poor girl called, all i said was "i'll be right there" and i got there so fast thank God. everyone was sort of hanging around waiting and when i got there, she was able to function. i even got her to eat. there were so many things to do in a short amount of time and i hope i helped to keep peace and do things gracefully. translated: i can piss off the family/whoever to have things done the way she wanted them done, and the way he would have wanted. because, sooner or later, i am going home :)

anyways, i always dreaded That Sort of phone call since i have been diagnosed it seems like even a vacation is a pain to plan to eat. but it can be done 'on the fly' - maybe gives me hope that my Spontaneous Good Days are not over yet. larry would like that.

so i will leave you with a larry story: (you might have heard me talk about him before - when he could not bear not to include me in the grilled meal (because he messed it up so bad!), i wrapped up some frozen udi's in tinfoil and put it on the grill so he could 'cook' for me lolz)

he was a contractor in the northeast, so in the winter work would slow. his grandparents had left the brothers a place in florida. he and my friend would go down in the late winter/early spring (once the kids were grown) for a few weeks until things warmed up/thawed out in nj. one year they returned home on a sunday night and overnight it turned frigid cold. monday morning he told melanie "pack back up" and they were headed south again for the rest of the month. just like that. i sure am going to miss that guy....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Depression / anxiety issues
      Hi Chris, haven't had a chance to read the whole conversation but regarding dairy, if you are suspicious of something, drop it for some time and see. You are still healing so maybe dairy is bothering you now. Also look at the nightshades, corn, dairy, soy, and eggs. I had a horrible time last year. I had muscle twitches, brain fog, pain, was tired,etc. I searched online and decided to drop all of those things I mentioned above. I am not sure what bothered me since I dropped them all at once but i slowly began feeling better. Now, i reintroduced eggs again and sometimes have lactose free milk with my coffee. I recommend eating salmon, tuna, bone broth soups, using olive oil and coconut oil and not eating much or not at all processed food even if it is marked gluten free.
    • Weird things people have said
      I've had people say strange things about celiac to me lately... Like someone said, "Oh I'm just a mild celiac so I don't have to worry about cross-contamination." And then someone else said that they're celiac but things have calmed down now so they can have a bit of gluten here and there. And I told my doctor that back in 2014 I thought I had been gluten free but I actually wasn't because I had been repeatedly glutening myself with an old colander. And he just looked at me like I was insane, like a colander?? Sure... I'm not crazy, right? Even if you have no symptoms you have to avoid cross-contamination because you can be doing damage internally right? You can never have 'just a bit'. And a colander is a big source of cross-contamination right?? I know all this but why do these other people not? Why does my doctor not know? So confusing and spreading misinformation... And then they look at me like *I'M* crazy.
    • fructose malabsorption and gluten intolerant
      Look up FODMAPS.   That might clarify things for you.  There really are a lot of diet recommendations so make sure you bring a list of questions regarding foods to your doctor's  and dietician's appointments.  
    • Recovery?
      Thank you for sharing those web sites. I will look at them. We have been gluten free since December so it's been a while. Once, he had a gluten free beer, the kind that they take the gluten out, and his legs felt very heavy and had a more difficult time walking. I really don't want to experiment.  Although I am very careful about what we eat, I am concerned that some of our medication could contain gluten. Is there any easier way to tell if medication has gluten. I did find a website which listed drugs and known gluten but every drug was on it or was determined to be gluten free
    • fructose malabsorption and gluten intolerant
      I don't have celiac but doctors or amazed I don't so they told me to fallow the gluten-free diet like I have it... any way I was wondering if one can have corn, corn starch if they have fructose malabsorption. I am so confused on what I can and can't have.. i have an appt next week hopefully with a dietitian... also can you have sugar free stuff since it's not sugar.. I'm reading online and I'm getting a bunch of mixed info on both. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Tams67