Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Toward A Pill To Enable Celiac Patients To Eat Foods Containing Gluten - Science Codex

4 posts in this topic

Toward a pill to enable celiac patients to eat foods containing gluten

Science Codex

Scientists are reporting an advance toward development of a pill that could become celiac disease's counterpart to the lactase pills that people with lactose intolerance can take to eat dairy products without risking digestive upsets. They describe the ...

View the full article

Ads by Google:

Sounds similar to the "Glutenzyme" and other such products now available. Perhaps it takes it further, but IMHO it is still too much risk. The article mentioned inflammation, but failed to say anything about intestinal damage. Likening Celiac Disease to lactose intolerance seems more than a bit of downplay, to me.

I won't be trying any such pill. Not worth it. I have enough to deal with, without introducing some laboratory-engineered enzyme into my system.

I wonder what other members think.

I wonder what other members think.

They'll probably manufacture it with an undeclared wheat starch binder and lactose coating. :wacko:

I believe my auto immune disease is already too severe to risk furthering more brain and neurological damage by ingesting small amounts of gluten, then expecting a "pill" to handle it.

That's one way for drug companies to FINALLY make some money off of us.