9 replies to this topic

#1 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I don't like to eat grocery store beef because of all the hormones and antibiotics. I LOVE bison though. Well, I just wanted to share my great fortune with you folks. I was talking to a customer whom I hadn't seen in a while. She said she was going to bring me some pork pie because she knows how much I love it.

I had to tell her about my celiac disease and how truly sorry I am that I ca no longer eat her pork pie. It was one of my favorite foods of all time. Anyway, I mentioned that I eat bison when I can afford it, and chicken most days because it is cheap.

She called me yesterday and said she was bringing me a present from an anonymous donor. I THINK she must have mentioned me and my celiac to someone at her church or something. Anyway, long story short, this anonymous person sent me a five pound bison roast, about eight pounds of ground bison, and five packages of bison hot dogs. All organic, all locally grown and "harvested". That is WELL over a hundred dollars worth of meat! Probably over two hundred.

I can't believe how good people are to me! There is barely enough room in my freezer for all of this, and between that and what I already had in there, I won't need to buy meat for two or three months. And because there is so much more nutrition in bison than in chicken, I know I'm going to start feeling better than I do now. (My energy level has been pretty low lately.)

Just when faith in mankind is at its lowest ebb (Connecticut), somebody does something to make me believe in humanity again. Merry Christmas!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'm not a fan of bison. I ate it for about two years straight and got burnt out. It does, however, have less fat than regular beef and is good in sauces and such.

Good for you :) Its nice when out of no where you are showered with such kindness.

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Between this and cookies you are having a pretty fantabulous December!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

Yeah, it IS shaping up to be a great December for me. There have been some pretty good guitar related things going on too, and I ALSO got a new banjo that a local guy made. Best sounding banjo I have ever played. I'll most likely be spending Christmas alone with my cat, but I'll be eating well and playing my new banjo, so it'll be a great Christmas anyway. :)

#5 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

That all sounds amazing. Someone must be watching out for you. Brilliant you know you can look after yourself and feel nourished

Have a wonderful Christmas and 2013 :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

That all sounds amazing. Someone must be watching out for you. Brilliant you know you can look after yourself and feel nourished

Have a wonderful Christmas and 2013 :)

Yep. I don't know if, like a lot of forums, we aren't supposed to bring up religion here, but I will say that God has always watched out for me, and through other people like this anonymous donor, He has always given me what I need.

Merry Christmas to you too.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Whenever we are feeling at our lowest, always, always something (or someone) comes our way and renews our faith in humanity.

I always believe in the goodness of people, even when terrible things happen. Good always triumphs evil.

I am delighted for you, Barty! Enjoy, honey--you deserve it. You are always so sweet and kind to others.

And because of your recommendation awhile ago , I eat bison now, too!

Much love and happiness for a blessed Christmas and Healthy New Year, IH xxoo

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks, IH. YOU are one of the people He has sent to help me too. Glad you're eating bison. It just makes you feel healthy, doesn't it?

I hope your Christmas is the best ever! ((((HUGS))))

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Thank you, sweets....and right back at ya! ;) ((hugs))

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Bison ROCKS! I love it. So very, very happy for you. What a blessing. Little would this lady know how much this has touched you which has in turn touched us. Just gives you the warm fuzzies! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: