Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Off Gluten For 1.5 Years, But Having An Endoscopy For Nausea Next Month. Dr Wants Me To Eat Gluten To Get An Actual Diagnosis, Should I?

endoscopy celiac diagnosis

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#1 SafetyDancePants

SafetyDancePants

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hello all,

I used to suffer from daily severe stomach aches and nausea (for ~10 years), and through an elimination diet, I found that gluten was a big part of my issue -- it was like a light switch, no more gluten, no more stomach aches. I don't know if I am Celiac or not, but I treat it as though I am, because I react so badly to it. I don't intend on eating gluten for the rest of my life.
Although my stomach aches went away, I am still suffering from severe, chronic nausea. I never throw up, but feel as though I will many times a day. I have been trying different solutions with my naturopath (dairy elimination, heartburn/acid reflux treatments) with no luck so far, so I have just scheduled an endoscopy as a next step. When I met my GI for my consultation, he pretty strongly pushed for me to go back on gluten for a few weeks before the endoscopy, and I pretty strongly pushed back that I didn't want to.
I have been off of gluten for 1.5 years and I don't really care if I get a Celiac diagnosis or not, but I am in doubt as to whether or not I did the right thing. I don't want to go through the endoscopy process, refuse to eat wheat, and then miss something that might help deal with my nausea.

Will a positive or negative diagnosis of Celiac change anything for a person who is already 100% gluten free? Are there Celiac-related issues that could be causing my nausea, and do I have to have the diagnosis to try to treat those issues?

I'm really torn. I felt like I was doing the right thing by telling him 'no,' but I also don't want my stubbornness to get in the way of diagnosing and treating the cause of my nausea.

Can anyone offer suggestions or advise?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

Could you have the endoscopy without eating gluten?

You have a problem now, whether or not you have celiac, so maybe it would be helpful to have a look anyway. You might have had some cross contamination and not healed if there was celiac damage. You might have inflamation or a hernia or something.

If your gut ( :) ) reaction is not to go back to gluten and you dont need a diagnosis then perhaps you can be clear with the doctor and see what else they come up with to investigate. My hunch is that there are other routes to explore before thinking about a gluten challenge. I think some doctors see it as an 'easy' way to test. Plenty here would disagree.

Good luck, come and ask questions

- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I think it is reasonable to assume you are strictly gluten free. You probably have missed the window for a Celiac diagnoses, unless you have a rare case of Celiac which does not completely heal on a gluten free diet.
Gene testing could be used to determine if you have some of the known Celiac genes. Remember not all Celiac genes are identified and genetic testing can be inaccurate too.

There are many different things that can present with the same gut symptoms. Gluten can also be a "trigger" for Eosinophilic Esophagitus another auto immune disease. The symptoms are very similar to Celiac Disease. (In fact I thought my daughter must have been having gluten from somewhere causing the symptoms. She was diagnosed "probable Celiac" when she was 17 months old and then with EE when she was 6.)

You have enough making you sick right now to have the endoscope with biopsy. You will probably not get a Celiac diagnoses, but hopefully find out if there is another related illness.

An endoscopy with biopsy will not diagnose a gallbladder issue.
Michigan

#4 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

So your doctor wants you to eat gluten to make yourself sick so he can prove that gluten makes you sick?

After a year and half, "a few weeks" may not even be enough to cause enough damage to show up on an endoscopy. And/or, the doctor could miss the damage that may (or may not) be there. You will likely get a negative result and it WILL NOT mean you DO NOT have celiac. You will have made yourself sick for several weeks only to add confusion and doubt to your diagnosis. If you did happen to get a positive diagnosis, you will be told you need to avoid gluten - something you already know.

I personally wouldn't do it.

Cara

#5 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

What Cara said! I will add the warning that gluten challenges can be dangerous too. My daughter was about 15 months old and the wait time for seeing the ped. gastro. was over 3 months. I took her off gluten. The doc said put her back on gluten. So after 2 weeks on gluten the blood draw was done and she had to go in the hospital on an IV for 4 days for the dehydration from the gluten challenge.

Age and overall health of a patient makes a HUGE difference, but gluten challenges for Celiacs can be very dangerous.
Michigan

#6 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I can safely say I didn't enjoy my challenge and lasted 3 weeks, too short to show up, long enough to make me ill for several months.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#7 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I agree that I wouldn't undergo a gluten challenge. No way, no how. But, will the doctor still do the endoscopy even if you stay off the gluten? It could be useful anyway, as they can look for other things (such as H Pylori) while in there.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#8 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

If he's going to do the endoscopy anyway, regardless of the challenge, I would just let him do his thing and not bother about the gluten challenge. At least he can look for other things that might be causing you a problem and you won't be making yourself sicker in the process. I personally don't think a three-week challenge is long enough to make a difference although it is a common-enough stated time period. So I think it is short for a challenge, but an eternity for someone who does not tolerate gluten.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

What Mushroom said :)

#10 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, I agree with the others that your doctor's logic is faulty. If he is doing an endoscopy to find out what is bothering you NOW (nausea), then why would he want you to eat gluten which hasn't been a factor in your life for a year and a half?? If you ate gluten, it could cause more damage and mask any other problems that are going on.... I think you are right to skip the gluten challenge. :) Good luck with it; I hope you find dome answers.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 SafetyDancePants

SafetyDancePants

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Alright, you guys have reassured me that I am made the right move in declining it.

I am not dying to start the recovery process over, especially if 3-4 weeks of a challenge is possibly not enough time to get a positive diagnosis anyways. I also don't have huge faith in this GI, and I think a negative celiac diagnosis could lead to him treating me worse (I believe he already thinks my nausea is in my head.. he suggested that having daily nausea 'May just be what is normal for your body...' and that I may be using the wrong word for my nausea, because I never vomit... ugh). If the endoscopy comes back totally clean, I will be high-tailing it back to my naturopath, and don't intend to continue working with this guy.
He will definitely still do the endoscopy without the gluten challenge, and I am hoping it will at least rule out a few possibilities like ulcers and H. Pylori.

Thank you everyone for the advise -- I love this board!

#12 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Get a different doctor to do the endoscopy with biopsy. You need to know what the scope is being done to "rule out or rule in/diagnose. If this can't be discussed with you before and your concerns addressed ~This is NOT the doctor for you! Maybe it is just your "gut" feeling this is the wrong doctor. ;) I would bet money on your being right in this case. (Sorry about the pun couldn't help it) :D
Michigan

#13 pain*in*my*gut

pain*in*my*gut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Get a different doctor to do the endoscopy with biopsy. You need to know what the scope is being done to "rule out or rule in/diagnose. If this can't be discussed with you before and your concerns addressed ~This is NOT the doctor for you! Maybe it is just your "gut" feeling this is the wrong doctor. ;) I would bet money on your being right in this case. (Sorry about the pun couldn't help it) :D

Daily nausea could be a sign of gastroparesis. I have it. It's caused by your stomach emptying too slowly. An upper barium swallow study would give you more info on this condition than an endoscopy! I think you need a new doc!
Celiac DX 9/2011 ~ Gluten free ever since
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 10/2011
Premature Ovarian Failure 11/2010
Rheumatoid Arthritis 10/2011
Sjogren's Disease 10/2011

"The best way out is always through" ~Robert Frost

#14 Lisay

Lisay

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

I suffered for years with many gastro issues , headaches, brain fog and most recently joint pain and inflammation. I tried a gluten free diet and within 24 hours I noticed a substantial change , stayed gluten free for 6 months and felt amazing. I had a checkup and my gastro wanted to perform a biopsy and asked me to eat gluten for 5 weeks. I did the challenge and was so sick. My blood work came back negative and so did my biopsy. I was wondering if the 6 months Gluten-Free impacted my yet results. I also get a tiny rash on my forearm and recently discovered it goes away when I go off gluten. Has anyone received a negative biopsy for Celiac but still suffer when they eat gluten?

#15 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Has anyone received a negative biopsy for Celiac but still suffer when they eat gluten?

Good gracious, yes!! This board is littered with bodies bearing negative biopsies. A lot of them have negative blood work as well. It is called non-celiac gluten intolerance and it has only been in the past couple of years or so that the celiac researchers have acknowledged that such a condition exists. It used to be that a non-diagnosable gluten sufferer was sent on his/her way with instructions to eat as much gluten as they wanted. Some doctors will still tell you this, but not the hep doctors. There are actually more gluten intolerants than there are celiacs -- could be part of the reason no one can figure out why so many people are eating gluten free if only 1 in 133 is a celiac.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009