3 replies to this topic

#1 ncdave

ncdave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Went to a new GI today, was not to impressed. They ordered a celiac disease comprehensive antibody profile to be done an schedualed me for a endoyscopy in a month. I tried to explane I had read on the university of Maryland celiac disease research center website that I needed to be eating gluten for some time before a blood test would be accurate. They no listen !!! Maby I'm missing something, would that blood test help? Or should I change docs?
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hmm, it would be interesting to know what their thinking is. Sometimes a follow up test every 6 months for antibodies is suggested. To make sure antibodies are going down from the initial diagnosis levels. If you are feeling better I suppose that is a good way to satisfy curiosity. There's quite a bit of info on follow-up testing in this article by Peter Green.

http://www.celiac.co...tein/Page1.html
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

I"m self diagnosed so there is no initial diagnosis levels. I just went in to try an get some vitiman levels checked, doc said he was a GI an did not do vitiman test. I never mentioned celiac, but I should have never put down my gluten, dairy,soy,corn allergys. For a first visit knowing me for less than 5 min and schedual blood work, endoscopy, ct scan I"ll stick with my first impression an change docs.
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Your regular GP can order the vitamin level checks for you. Have you seen improvement on the diet? If you are still having issues then do find another GI that is more celiac knowledgeable. If you are doing well on the diet and symptoms have resolved then IMHO your regular doctor should be able to handle the vitamin and mineral level checks.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: