Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Comprehensive Antibody Profile

4 posts in this topic

Went to a new GI today, was not to impressed. They ordered a celiac disease comprehensive antibody profile to be done an schedualed me for a endoyscopy in a month. I tried to explane I had read on the university of Maryland celiac disease research center website that I needed to be eating gluten for some time before a blood test would be accurate. They no listen !!! Maby I'm missing something, would that blood test help? Or should I change docs?

Ads by Google:

Hmm, it would be interesting to know what their thinking is. Sometimes a follow up test every 6 months for antibodies is suggested. To make sure antibodies are going down from the initial diagnosis levels. If you are feeling better I suppose that is a good way to satisfy curiosity. There's quite a bit of info on follow-up testing in this article by Peter Green.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/40/1/Initial-Assessment-and-Follow-up-Care-of-Celiac-Patients-by-Peter-Green-MD-summarized-by-Sue-Goldstein/Page1.html

I"m self diagnosed so there is no initial diagnosis levels. I just went in to try an get some vitiman levels checked, doc said he was a GI an did not do vitiman test. I never mentioned celiac, but I should have never put down my gluten, dairy,soy,corn allergys. For a first visit knowing me for less than 5 min and schedual blood work, endoscopy, ct scan I"ll stick with my first impression an change docs.

Your regular GP can order the vitamin level checks for you. Have you seen improvement on the diet? If you are still having issues then do find another GI that is more celiac knowledgeable. If you are doing well on the diet and symptoms have resolved then IMHO your regular doctor should be able to handle the vitamin and mineral level checks.