This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fish...please Help

123glldd

123glldd Collaborator

Me and my husband love salmon..cod...talapia etc. All we have close by is A&P grocery store and Shop Rite. Obviously we don't want breaded fish or anything like that. So we always end up having to go to the seafood counter and somehow relying on these people to change their gloves. No more after today. The guy wasn't going to change his gloves originally even though the original guy told me they DO change their gloves. Then it occured to me that they change their gloves between ORDERS but who's to say that at some point they didn't pick up one of the breaded things in their display case for someone then reach in with the plain fillets and drop something onto them while getting one of those for the same order?

We don't want to get fish from the counter anymore. What companies actually sell those large packages of fillets ..just plain fish with no cross contamination and nothing on them? no sauces or anything? Great American Seafood Company seems to be the ONLY thing like that that A&P grocery has and that company I've e-mailed twice with no response. Any suggestions on fish? If we have to a little bit further away we have a price chopper but would like to stick to shop rite and A&P. I'm really annoyed at this point. My husband is beginning to crack. We're sick of trying to live like this...ALL WE WANT IS SOME PLAIN NON CONTAMINATED FISH!....help? *sighs*

P.S. forgot we also have a Weis grocery store as well near the shop rite.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Do you have a Costco near by? They have TONS of fish. It's all frozen and it has a one ingredient label. We really like the Alaskan Salmon and the Pacific Cod (both of these are wild caught fish from the USA) They are all individually wrapped and frozen. I can't say enough good things about this fish.

bartfull Rising Star

It depends on where you live. Here in the middle of the country it's almost impossible to get good fish. Everything in the grocery store is frozen and from China. I won't eat fish from China. Once in a while I go to "the big city" and can find wild caught Pacific fish (cod), and even though it is SUPER expensive, I buy myself some maybe once a year as a treat.

If you live near an ocean there are probably seafood shops you could call or visit. If you explain to them they can probably help you.

I am actually considering getting in touch with some seafood place on the east coast and asking them to ship me some fish in dry ice. Omaha Steak Company ships meat all over the country that way and when it shows up it is still frozen so I know it can be done.

kareng Grand Master

What if you just washed it off first?

bartfull Rising Star

I just looked up Shop Rite. They are in the Northeast. You should be able to find a bunch of good seafood shops in your area. You'll get better fish there than in the grocery store.

FatBear Newbie

Fish is very good for you and you are smart to try and eat it as much as you can. The nice thing about frozen fish is that it keeps well because it is ... frozen. So maybe the thing to do is to take your cooler and make an excursion to a better grocery store and see if you can find some good frozen, non-breaded fish. Then buy a bunch of it. Costco, as mentioned previously, has very good fish for good prices. Trader Joes, often has both good and inexpensive fish. (Sometimes even in the same package!) You probably don't have a Major Market in your area, but they have good frozen fish even though it is more expensive. The real point is that there are a lot of sources of good frozen fish if you are prepared to look around and maybe drive a ways to get it.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have a guy who will take it fresh from the box they send from the ship before anyone has touched it. I went to the store and asked to talk to someone and explained the whole thing to him. Now he will tell me when things are coming in and tell me to phone first to be sure that they did, and he will put it aside for me. Maybe if you do some explaining you will be able to get service like that too. Before that I did get sick despite washing first.

Edited to add that I am in the super sensitive category. I don't think that typical celiacs/gluten intolerants have problems with fish from the fish counter.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

It depends on where you live. Here in the middle of the country it's almost impossible to get good fish. Everything in the grocery store is frozen and from China. I won't eat fish from China. Once in a while I go to "the big city" and can find wild caught Pacific fish (cod), and even though it is SUPER expensive, I buy myself some maybe once a year as a treat.

If you live near an ocean there are probably seafood shops you could call or visit. If you explain to them they can probably help you.

I am actually considering getting in touch with some seafood place on the east coast and asking them to ship me some fish in dry ice. Omaha Steak Company ships meat all over the country that way and when it shows up it is still frozen so I know it can be done.

Bart....Legal Seafoods Restaurant, which is here in Boston, has mail order fish. It is expensive but no more than what others are charging now. Their fish is very good quality...high end and they test their seafood to meet certain standards. I send my father seafood via mail from them and they rave about it. I eat in the restaurant occasionally as they have one of the best gluten-free menus around. But the restaurant is pricey so it's special occasion food. There may be other places that will be less expensive but I am not familair with them as I just buy fish here easily. However, it's the "in" food to eat now and isn't cheap, even on the coast! Drives me crazy because I love seafood.

Archived