Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Lifetime Of Biopsys

2 posts in this topic

I was told if my sons biopsy confirms Celiac then he will have to have a biopsy done every 6 months. Gradually decreasing to one year and as an adult every two years.

Has this been told to anyone else?

Thanks,

Dane's mom

Ads by Google:

not true!

some docs still like to do a repeat biopsy about 6 months after going on the gluten free diet, but newer research shows that response to the diet can be monitored by antigliadin antibody levels (a blood test) . there should be a level done initially, at diagnosis, then repeated at 6 months, and 12 months to see that the levels are going down( and repeated at intervals regularly after that). I was told by Univ of Chicago people that levels should approach zero ideally (mine aren't there yet, but I've only been gluten-free 6 months)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• pablito, here is the full serum (blood) panel. Make sure your doc runs ALL of the tests on it, not just 1 or 2. Insist!!!!! YOU are in charge. Remember that. Some people test negative on the most common 1 or 2 tests they run so it's always better to have the full panel run. Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
      Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
      Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
      Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
      Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
      Total Serum IgA   
      Also can be termed this way: Endomysial Antibody IgA
      Tissue Transglutaminase IgA 
      GLIADIN IgG
      GLIADIN IgA
      Total Serum IgA 
      Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG Remember that celiac disease is a genetically inherited disease so it's important for you to find out if you have it and if so, then your kids & all first degree relatives (siblings, parents) need to be tested every 2 years in the absence of symptoms but right away if symptoms present. Do not go gluten free after the blood work as if you get positive blood work, you will need an endoscopy which you'll need to continue eating gluten for. The pimple things may or may not be the celiac rash as there are many skin problems associated with celiacs.
    • Hi, I've been experiencing on and off left side abd pain and bloating for about 3-4 years (doctors in the past didn't help much, just said I have IBS). My new doctor did some blood work and found out  my vitamin D was low, CRP was high.  Antigiladin Igg was a weak positive. I had an endoscopy done and the doctor confirmed I don't have Celiac, but she found very small ulcers (took Pepcid for 2 weeks). She also told me I have a leaky gut and non celiac gluten sensitivity. I'm taking probiotics for the leaky gut.  So for the past 3 months I've been eating gluten free and the pain came back 2 times.  The pain is always on the left side of my abdomen. Makes me feel weak, starts with constipation and usually ends with diarrhea. Tylenol helps the pain.  I'm waiting on my food allergy tests results to see if it can be anything other than gluten. So my question is, what does a weak positive Antigiladin IGG mean if a gluten free diet is not helping?  Could the "leaky gut" cause my Antigiladin IGG to rise? Really confused here, just want to start feeling better and not have the pain come back ever again.     Thanks
    • Thank you very much for the reply and advice I assume doctors didn't know or check into this disease too much back in the early 80's or my family doctor would have easily seen these symptoms and discussed this with me then. If I do have this disease it would explain a lot about my health and overall physical discomfort all my life. Pretty sad if it is the case and it could have been prevented but thankful I know about it now. I have made an apt with my doctor so shouldn't be long before I know for sure. Thanks again for your help
    • I continue to do more research but only found 3 journal articles which discuss the reversal of the fold pattern, possibly why I can't find answers I was waiting on on my latest celiac panel to come back so here it is, expecting slight cross contamination from eating out and possible several recent dentist visits. All three tests are based on a normal scale of 0-20 being within range.  DPG IgA - 24.5 DPG IgG – 6.84 tTg IgA – 22
    • Coffee giant Starbucks looks to feature more and better dietary specialty options, including gluten-free products. Will they succeed? View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ashey