This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sweating

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I have been having terrible night sweats. I wake up drenched in sweat and have to change my clothes. The sheets are soaking wet and then I lay there and shiver. I got up and took my temp. and didn't have a fever. Is this common in celiac? Is it some sort of detox from the gluten?

My blood test showed elevated liver enzymes maybe that has something to do with it.

It's not gyn related. I was just there a few weeks ago.

Thx!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gluten-is-kryptonite Apprentice

I have been having terrible night sweats. I wake up drenched in sweat and have to change my clothes. The sheets are soaking wet and then I lay there and shiver. I got up and took my temp. and didn't have a fever. Is this common in celiac? Is it some sort of detox from the gluten?

My blood test showed elevated liver enzymes maybe that has something to do with it.

It's not gyn related. I was just there a few weeks ago.

Thx!

This happened to me too before going off gluten and then for about 2 months after I was off it. Shooting from the hip bit but I think it has to do with systemic inflammation caused by gluten and possibly from mineral deficiencies. I started taking Magnesium glycinate and I don't get the night sweats anymore but I also am 6 months gluten free now.

designerstubble Enthusiast

Had terrible night sweats after going gluten-free... No night sweats for 3 weeks now fingers crossed. I've been gluten-free for 3 months...

Have never had night sweats before being diagnosed even though I had other symptoms/problems, it was very alarming... Personally think it was some kind of detox...

shadowicewolf Proficient

Never did here.

bumblebee-carnival Newbie

You know, I had severe night sweats for years before being DXed. I insisted to my doctor that I had thyroid problems, because that is a symptom. But my thyroid always tested normal. It never occurred to me that it could have been the celiac disease. It was just like you described, my hair would be drenched, as were my pj's. I would actually have to get up, towel off and change my clothes.

If it's any consolation, I've been gluten free for 14 months and I can't even remember the last time I had a night sweat incident. Hopefully once it's cleared out of your system it will stop for you.

AlwaysLearning Collaborator

I've had hyperthyroidism for a couple decades now but just went gluten-free too recently to know about the "after" symptoms. Night sweats have come and gone for me, but never too bad.

But I was under the impression that problems regulating body temperature overall is a pretty standard symptom of thyroid disease of any sort. And my guess would be that it would depend on how one's thyroid may have been damaged that would determine long-term outcomes after going gluten free. For instance, you may still have nodules for the rest of your life or they could shrink on their own.

Next time you see a doctor, you can ask to have your hormone levels tested which is a pretty good indication as to whether or not you may have problems with your thyroid. Being just slightly outside of the "normal" range can still cause pretty strong symptoms. And what that "normal" range is has shrunk over the years but many doctors still go by the old numbers so make sure to do your own research about what the test results mean if you do get tested.

I have no clue how all of the other malnourishment concerns related to celiac may play into the body-temperature equation but would love to learn more. I've only been gluten free for a short time now and think I may already be noticing that my hands and feet aren't so icy anymore. I hope that continues to improve.

The liver side - I know nothing about either.

Archived