This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Hungry

glutenfree015

glutenfree015 Rookie

Hey everyone!

I’ve been gluten free for 4 months now( soy and dairy free for 2.5 months), and though I struggled a lot at first, things finally seem to be settling down. I do have a quick question for everyone: now that I have been gluten free for 4 months, I am hungry all of the time! I never used to eat much before going gluten free, and even for the first few months gluten free I didn’t have much of an appetite. I lost about 10 pounds. Now, if I don’t eat a lot of calories and a lot of carbs, I get dizzy, irritable, weak, and exhausted. My legs also cramp up, which is weird. It tends to get worse if I consistently eat fewer than 2500 calories per day; if that happens I get really sick and have to spend the whole day eating to correct it.

I have a doctor’s appointment in a few weeks, but if this has happened to any other celiacs, I would love to know.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Vitamin deficiencies?

glutenfree015 Rookie

I am anemic and vitamin D deficient, but taking supplements! Everything else looks good.

Hala Apprentice

I've only been gluten-free for 6 weeks but I'm feeling the same way....it's really annoying!

Lizanne Newbie

Hi- I know how you feel! I found out I had Celiac Disease in July, so I've been gluten free about 5 months now. I am constantly hungry, even after I eat a meal I feel starving. I went from 140 lbs to 110 currently. Dr said I would level off with my weight, but so far keep losing pounds. Bloodwork is fine, no deficiencies.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I'd add potassium, magnesium, and chelated manganese to the supplements you're taking. They may alleviate the cramping.

• 2 weeks later...
Trelliemae Newbie

I was hungry all the time after switching to gluten-free. I have always been low-iron. My hematologist prescribed intravenous iron. I'm not hungry all the time any more. I have more energy than ever and I don't chew ice all the time!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
KristenS Rookie

I was hungry all the time after switching to gluten-free. I have always been low-iron. My hematologist prescribed intravenous iron. I'm not hungry all the time any more. I have more energy than ever and I don't chew ice all the time!

I feel like I am STARVING all day every day! My iron infusions are in 3 weeks and you have given me hope that they may help aleviate this insatiable hunger.

Opa3 Apprentice

Eat more protein.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I ran out of iron supplement lately and got insatiable appetite. I don't understand all of it, but I think I have hypoglycemia issues going along with it. Maybe it is just because I have been succombing to eating alot of fruit.

Diana

tarnalberry Community Regular

One hallmark of hypoglycemia is feeling hungry again 1-2hrs after eating. Especially if those meals/snacks are high in carbs.

Archived