Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Metro "selections" Red Maraschino Cherries?

• Please log in to reply

1 reply to this topic

#1 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Does anyone know of the "Selections" brand of red maraschino cherries carried by Metro is safe? There's no wheat disclosed on the label, but I'm wondering about other sources of gluten. The label does say natural and artificial flavours (and colours, I believe) but it doesn't say what the sources are. I tried to call the customer service people but was left on hold forEVER and got no where.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Colours are gluten-free. While "natural flavours" can theoretically contain gluten, they very rarely actually do. The most likely source would be barley malt, and that is a relatively expensive ingredient, so it is usually explicitly declared. I would use the product without concern.

Shelley Case on flavorings:

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten (a) because hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor." and (b) barley malt extract is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide, published 2008, page 46

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: