#1 MyTummyHurts8

MyTummyHurts8

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered some food I ate at my in-law's contained gluten, and I feel absolutely sick to my stomach right now. I don't have celiac disease, but I get headaches and feel nauseated with stomach cramping and other gross symptoms when I've accidentally had gluten. I'm wondering how others deal with the symptoms? It usually takes a day or two before they hit me, and about 3 days before I start feeling better. I'm curious if there are any home remedies to ease the stomach issues/headaches. I was also wondering.... some people have mentioned taking a laxative or natural laxative to "clean out my system", which sounds sketchy and unreliable and not likely to work to me, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

There is no cure all outside of drinking lots and lots of water and bedrest.

#3 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered some food I ate at my in-law's contained gluten, and I feel absolutely sick to my stomach right now. I don't have celiac disease, but I get headaches and feel nauseated with stomach cramping and other gross symptoms when I've accidentally had gluten. I'm wondering how others deal with the symptoms? It usually takes a day or two before they hit me, and about 3 days before I start feeling better. I'm curious if there are any home remedies to ease the stomach issues/headaches. I was also wondering.... some people have mentioned taking a laxative or natural laxative to "clean out my system", which sounds sketchy and unreliable and not likely to work to me, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

If you got larger amount, nothing probably will do much difference, but I use Gluten Defense digestive enzymes for tiny amounts hidden, when I eat out, and it seems to help. And any digestive herbs or enzymes.

#4 Bella001

Bella001

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Tons of water and rest. I try to stick to whole foods only, nothing processed. I also won't dare eat out or allow anybody cook for me until I'm over it. I got sick last week. I'm just now feeling better. Now if my skin would clear up, that would be wonderful : ).

#5 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would definitely stay away from the laxatives - we already have problems absorbing foods and if we wipe them out of our system there could be some significant issues with dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. I take digestive enzymes which help the bloating SIGNIFICANTLY and while drinking lots of water (room temperature, not ice cold), lay down and put a heating pad on my tummy. Try making your own chicken or beef broth at home, it eases the digestive track while still giving you some of the nutrients that you need. Hope you feel better!!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#6 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I feel your pain... After a month of feeling good (other than a flu that wouldn't quit), I got glutened again on Saturday :(

I always get D really bad, so if I have to work or travel, I take immodium, which can get me through the first few days. But basically, I feel it just postpones the inevitable so I try to avoid it if I can.

The only good thing about this last glutening was I realized that this is how I used to feel ALL the time. Now it's getting a little rarer. Thank goodness!

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#7 Madagascar

Madagascar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

At Market of Choice last week I was looking at the Digestive Enzymes and saw they have one out specifically to help with gluten if you accidentally get glutened. looked like the recommendation was to take it anytime you were eating out, or might not have total control over the food you are getting. i'm going back to buy some to have for me and my kids. it was by Enzymedica, in the section with the Digest Basic, Digest and Digest Gold - obviously part of the line. Enzymedica has a website with a store locator so you could find some.

i take digestive enzymes everytime i eat, without fail, and i think that's gotta be why i don't get sick from this. i was very sick as a college student, but that's been 35 years and i feel pretty great. only got diagnosed a month ago. since then, i've read a couple of references to speculation on whether or not digestive enzymes provide protection against damage for celiacs. i don't know, but i'm certain i've had this since i was a kid and i'm basically healthy most of the time and only just gave up gluten in november. i'd encourage you to try some.
Childhood: canker sores, zillions of cavities, and multiple dental enamel defects (not decay). Acne began at age 9, became cystic acne at 15ish, was bad til early 20's, occasional break-outs now only if i eat certain foods.
1968 - allergic to bacon (arm rashes) & orange juice; sensitive to soy
1970s - lots of digestive problems, allergy to citrus, citric acid, cinnamon, lactose intolerant, rosacea from foods
1980s - allergic to oregano, basil, thyme, pork, strawberries, paprika, smokehouse-type seasonings, peppers
1990s - discovered digestive enzymes (YAY!) and my stomach issues resolved by 90%
2012 - diagnosed with celiac via blood tests (tTG) and genes (HLA DQA1*0201: DQB1*0202)
After learning about celiac, it is obvious my mom had it (ulcerative colitis), my brother has it, and my 3 young adult children have it (2 have digestive problems + anxiety; one has DH). we all went gluten-free november 2012.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: