#1 mississippigluten

mississippigluten

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Hi.
I'm trying to make sure I make a gluten free version of the following recipe correctly:
http://www.nytimes.c...ml?ref=magazine
Would someone help me figure out what I have to substitute to make Teddie's apple cake gluten free?
I don't cook much but plan to start--as of this holiday season.
Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciamarie

ciamarie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Part of the answer depends on whether you'll be using an all-in-one gluten-free flour mix, or buying individual flours. I usually stick with rice flour, tapioca starch / flour (in the case of tapioca they're interchangeable terms) and buckwheat. I'm going to be trying millet flour soon too. At any rate, starting with a mix like Pamela's might be the best bet to start.

My 2nd tip would be to make just 1/2 or 1/3 of the recipe as a test, since 3 cups of flour and 2 cups of sugar is a lot for a cake. It would not be good to be disappointed with it. I know carrot cakes usually use a lot of oil, so scouting out a gluten-free carrot cake recipe might give you some clues on the right proportions. I would suspect you'd want to reduce the oil some for using gluten-free flours with this recipe.

Lastly, I posted a recipe for applesauce cake a little while back you might want to try:
http://www.celiac.co...pplesauce-cake/
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#3 auzzi

auzzi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

Try using a gluten-free all-purpose flour that contains xanthan or guar gum. A 1:1 substitution would be fine.

Once you stir the flour/ salt/cinnamon/soda into the batter, look at it. Simplistically-speaking, it should be the consistency of any other cake batter. If it looks a bit too stiff, add 2-4 tablespoons milk/water to loosen it up. It has enough eggs, so you shouldn't need to add any more.

It looks like a good recipe...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: