9 replies to this topic

#1 jlaw

jlaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

...was the result of my son's skin biopsy. Which quite frankly, I knew before I even took him to the doctor's office. I was kind of hoping to clear up the 'non-specific' part! So needless to say a little frustrated. And a little mad. When I spoke to the arrogant doctor (as previously documented on this forum :-) ) we discussed that he would take 3 samples - two blisters and a clear bit. When I took the dressings off, I saw he took the first two only. So I'm wondering if that's what's led to this result? Is it possible that such an inconclusive outcome is due to just taking two blisters and no clean skin?
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

The biopsy HAS to be taken from CLEAR SKIN ADJACENT TO AN ACTIVE LESION. So the 2 biopsies he did don't count. :(
I feel like the arrogant doctor did this on purpose.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

I had wondered about the sabotage thing myself....it sounds horrid but wouldn't have surprised me. Especially since he told me specifically he would take clean skin and then didn't. I'm kicking myself for not actually watching him - but I had to turn away. And we had had the 'take it from the clean skin' discussion immediately prior so I thought we were sorted....*sigh*

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yes, he scammed you--what an arrogant, arrogant doctor! Is there any recourse? Either you need to have a new derm do it over again or insist that the first one do it correctly. Bring in written information if you need to--this man needs to be educated!

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Problem is jlaw is in India so I don't know that there is much recourse for her over there. :(

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have a sneaky technique - I'd go back and say there seems to have been a mistake and I know you were very keen to get a biopsy on clear skin as we know how important it is, so we can sort it out quickly today. Or something like that.

I had forgotten that you were in India with a very traditional doctor. Sometimes getting what you want without having the other person lose face is more important than winning an argument. You could even say you know you were upset on the day and are sorry you distracted him. Or something.

I have had to be sneaky and fawn a bit to get my son tested.

I hope you find a way. Go Mum, go!
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#7 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Good tactic mindwarp! It's worth a shot jlaw.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#8 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Thanks all, and Mindwarp, you sound like the kind of person I wish I was more like! You are absolutely right, especially in this culture where everything is done in a round-a-bout way, as opposed to talking directly. Still, I do have a contact for another reputable dermatologist in this city...my poor little brave boy. Should not have to do this again...
Thanks all for your support

#9 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hugs for your brave little boy!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#10 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Great if you can get him to another dermatologist. Sorry you have to see him go through that again. When I took my son for his skin prick gets and blagged a celiac panel I was great being strong while with him, but blubbed and shook once dh could take over. Just to say I feel for you.

Good luck, sounds like you are doing a great job x
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: