2 replies to this topic

#1 Em314

Em314

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I have tried to find info on this and have somehow failed in my endeavor, so I'm hoping someone can link me to something.

My question is this: Which of the symptoms of celiac are caused directly by reaction to gluten, vs. which are caused by secondary factors resulting from long-term gluten damage (ex. having a damaged digestive system, malabsorption/vit deficiencies/etc.).

It seems like some of this is known but some is not, and like there's also overlap (quite a bit, actually), and there are certainly outside factors which are commonly associated that end up confounding the question further, so I know this isn't as simple a question as it seems. I am curious about what the current understanding is, though.
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

My current (and personal) understanding is that reactions to gluten tend to be suddenly acute (D or C, aching bones and joints, migraines, dizziness, foggy thinking, swelling of the eye tissues, stuffy nose, etc., flu-like symptoms), whereas symptoms caused by malabsorption/nutritional deficiencies are more chronic: iron anemia, B12 deficiency (neuropathy, breathing difficulties, fatigue, etc.), night blindness, infertility, muscle and tendon issues, etc. There can also be further problems caused by auto-immune diseases that have been spawned by celiac, such as diabetes or thyroid problems. You should be tested often for these conditions and for nutritional deficiencies. I take Country Life Natural Vitamin D (which is easily absorbed because it contains Vitamin A and medium-chain triglycerides), a Vitamin B Complex plus a sublingual B12 supplement, chelated manganese, and a magnesium/calcium complex. Each person has individual needs, though, and you should establish what those are in your particular case.

Some symptoms may never resolve. In my case, I still have difficulty clotting due to my inability to absorb Vitamin K and I've been nightblind since the age of 11 due to malabsorption of Vitamin A.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

In addition to Rosetapper's excellent thoughts, may I suggest reading a copy of

Recognizing Celiac Disease by Cleo J. Libonati.

I think she really wrote it for health practitioners, but it is in layman's terms and I found it incredibly informative.
It helped me understand what had gone so horribly wrong in my own body from long unDXed celiac disease.
(all of the 65+ symptoms/conditions I suffered are in there)

It is a detailed explanation of what happens in the GI tract, the rest of the body and the resulting symptoms that occur from malabsorption. She explains vitamin/mineral deficiencies in plain English and how they can resolve.
Associated AI diseases and other complications are also discussed.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: