6 replies to this topic

#1 Hala

Hala

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Does anyone else have a problem with maltodextrin?
I'm in the UK and have had pretty severe 'D' for days now. I think I've traced it back to ingesting products with quite large amounts of maltodextrin (it was the second listed ingredient, behind water). I'm in the UK so it's wheat-based maltodextrin.

Will definitely avoid from now on! I'm a VERY sensitive recently-diagnosed coeliac, I seem to react to anything that isn't naturally gluten-free.

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after positive blood test and endoscopy (total villous atrophy and inflammation)

Gluten-free since 13th November 2012

Asperger's Syndrome.

Crohn's Disease.

Pancreatic Insufficiency.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 porkchop60c

porkchop60c

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Does anyone else have a problem with maltodextrin?
I'm in the UK and have had pretty severe 'D' for days now. I think I've traced it back to ingesting products with quite large amounts of maltodextrin (it was the second listed ingredient, behind water). I'm in the UK so it's wheat-based maltodextrin.

Will definitely avoid from now on!I'm a VERY sensitive recently-diagnosed coeliac, I seem to react to anything that isn't naturally gluten-free.

I am also very sensitive and found out 2 months after going gluten free that I could not have corn. Corn is in everything. Maltodextrin is corn most of the time. If you are not sure, call the 800 number on the product. Be good at reading labels. It has saved me many times. If you are celiac, then you can be sensitive to other foods. It is good to rotate your foods to give your body a break if you are sensitive to a food or do the IGG blood test and eliminate the foods that you are sensitive to. I have been lucky with Elisa food testing. It is expensive but it is well worth it if you want to feel good again. Good luck.

#3 Hala

Hala

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

I am also very sensitive and found out 2 months after going gluten free that I could not have corn. Corn is in everything. Maltodextrin is corn most of the time. If you are not sure, call the 800 number on the product. Be good at reading labels. It has saved me many times. If you are celiac, then you can be sensitive to other foods. It is good to rotate your foods to give your body a break if you are sensitive to a food or do the IGG blood test and eliminate the foods that you are sensitive to. I have been lucky with Elisa food testing. It is expensive but it is well worth it if you want to feel good again. Good luck.

Thanks Porkchop, but, as I said in my post, I live in the UK, where maltodextrin always wheat-based, so I doubt think it's a corn issue.
I have been rotating my (very limited range of) foods as much as possible, but my dietician said there wasn't a way to test for food allergies :S ???
Thanks again for the advice.

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after positive blood test and endoscopy (total villous atrophy and inflammation)

Gluten-free since 13th November 2012

Asperger's Syndrome.

Crohn's Disease.

Pancreatic Insufficiency.

#4 porkchop60c

porkchop60c

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

Thanks Porkchop, but, as I said in my post, I live in the UK, where maltodextrin always wheat-based, so I doubt think it's a corn issue.
I have been rotating my (very limited range of) foods as much as possible, but my dietician said there wasn't a way to test for food allergies :S ???
Thanks again for the advice.

Your dietician is wrong.You can be tested for food allergies or I should say delayed food sensitivities. It has saved me. You can be tested through Entero labs (stool sample)and that is IGA which is more digestive and that is how my daughter found out she was gluten intolerant. When you do the blood test it is IGG testing and helps you figure out foods that you might react to a few days after you eat them. Sometimes you just can't do it on your own even if you journal which I do everyday. You might need to ask a different dietician or see natureopathic doctor or chiropractor. Someone has to do this testing. Go on line and google it. Hope this helps.

#5 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,535 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Your dietician is wrong.You can be tested for food allergies or I should say delayed food sensitivities. It has saved me. You can be tested through Entero labs (stool sample)and that is IGA which is more digestive and that is how my daughter found out she was gluten intolerant. When you do the blood test it is IGG testing and helps you figure out foods that you might react to a few days after you eat them. Sometimes you just can't do it on your own even if you journal which I do everyday. You might need to ask a different dietician or see natureopathic doctor or chiropractor. Someone has to do this testing. Go on line and google it. Hope this helps.

http://www.mayoclini...s-and-diagnosis

This is some basic info about food allergies. You will see that food allergy testing isn't completely accurate as they recommend more than just a skin prick or an IgE test to confirm an allergy. You will notice that Enterolab is not mentioned as it has never done the steps necessary to be recognized by the medical community.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#6 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

I am in the UK and have found most doctors sceptical about allergy testing except skin prick testing. My son did have a blood test done when he refused skin prick testing. You may have to be quite peristent and check out what services are available at your hospital and try and get referred. My GI was pretty dismissive, so I will have to try another route.

Good luck
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#7 yaninani

yaninani

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

I've also noticed that corn is a big issue for me as well which only complicated things. I am also allergic to eggs and milk...this list of "what I can't eat" seems to be getting bigger and bigger. I think since corn is so widely used and it replaces wheat as another cheap manufactured grain, or strives systems react. Its quite frustrating!

:rolleyes: YaniNani

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: