5 replies to this topic

#1 Wheresthebeef

Wheresthebeef

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Does anyone know where I can get gluten-free, plain salmon? I read about the salmon in the grocery stores having some food coloring added to the meat to make it pink. Does the pink coloring have any dubious ingredients in it?

I'd like to get gluten-free salmon from from Publix, Whole Foods, Walmart, or Fresh Market. Does anyone buy salmon from either of these places?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

If it has wheat in it, it must be listed. It should say if it includes it. Just like any other meat. Obviously, breaded items are out. I believe whole foods has organic salmon if that is of any help.

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think the coloring is added to the fish's food (if farm raised), not the meat. Wild-caught salmon is naturally pink.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Does anyone know where I can get gluten-free, plain salmon? I read about the salmon in the grocery stores having some food coloring added to the meat to make it pink. Does the pink coloring have any dubious ingredients in it?

I'd like to get gluten-free salmon from from Publix, Whole Foods, Walmart, or Fresh Market. Does anyone buy salmon from either of these places?

Fresh meats, chicken and fish do not contain gluten. Some processed poultry may contain a solution which is injected into the bird to plump it and keep it fresher but that is not so much the norm these days. I buy all my meat and poultry/fish from Whole Foods and have never come across any fresh protein that contains injected anything. You should always read labels but buying meats or other proteins from the butcher there or from the fish section are safe so go ahead and buy some salmon.....Whole Foods has incredible fish! I always buy the wild caught but that is personal preference.

It's the processed proteins that may be a problem but most are OK......always read the label on the package.

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

You don't have to worry about gluten in salmon, but if you want to worry about salmon anyway you can worry that the FDA is close to approving genetically modified farmed salmon so that it will grow to size in half the time :unsure: in fish farms in Panama!!! And here, silly old me thought that salmon was a cold water fish. This must be a fish of a different kettle :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

The GMO "Aqua-Bounty" :blink: frankenfish "salmon" is a one type of salmon with the genes of an eel and another type of salmon inserted in it.
So of course they want to let some company bio-manufacture this crap in a foreign country, and export it to be sold here. THIS is why we need GMO labeling in at least one state in the U.S. to set standards and force these companies to label this crap, because the FDA is moving to a privatized, "voluntary" self inspection and reporting system. Otherwise, we all turn into yet just another set of lab rats for their eel-frankenfish consumption field trials.

The good news is that some Senators in the wild salmon harvesting states are not too thrilled with the GMO eel-frankenfish, because they fear the risk of this (or something like it) getting loose in the wild, but it is unknown if they have enough clout to stop it.

Since these would be "farmed" GMO eel-frankenfish, one also wonders if they would then be fed other GMO products, like soy, or even wheat, after all, if they grow so much faster in so short a period of time, they must need to eat a great deal of food, and it's grain that is used to fatten livestock on feedlots ...... :ph34r: :blink: I suspect that in addition to changing the growth rate, the GMO bio- manufacturers are also contemplating tinkering with creating flesh-bearing creatures that can eat anything .... one could end up with a pinkish- fleshed, mock "salmon" that was, for all intents and purposes, more like a catfish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: