Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Crockpot Mac And Cheese

4 posts in this topic

I finally got a crockpot! I have a recipe for crockpot mac and cheese regular gluten kind. Wondering if any of you have tried this gluten-free and have any tips? Thanks

Ads by Google:

I have not tried it, but I have a feeling rice noodles would absorb too much liquid during the cooking time in a crockpot and get pretty soggy. But give it a try - the worst that happens is that you eat soggy mac and cheese, and that's probably still pretty good. Give us the recipe if it works!

Will do! I'm thinking on how to do......

I swear by "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" recipes by Stephane O'Dea. Her recipes for the crockpot are all gluten free. She has a Mac and Cheese recipe that looks good. You can find the recipe on her blog at crockpot365.blogspot.com or she has a couple of books.

I actually make our Mac and Cheese in a rice cooker but I have made many things in the crockpot with the rice noodles and they have turned out great. The noodles usually get added in the last hour.

Good luck and I would love to here how it turns out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• You are right, the tests could be invalid.   All the celiac tests require you to be on a gluten-containing diet.  It is up to you to decide if you want to go gluten free.  You can do it.  Believe me, I know.  Hubby is not officially diagnosed.  He went gluten-free 15 years ago, based on the rather poor advice from my allergist and his GP.  It worked though.  But he would be the first to tell you that I have had way more support in terms of family and medical.    We think he has it.  Both of our families are riddled with autoimmine disorders.  I am the first to be diagnosed.   My Aunt went gluten free per the advice of her Chiropractor.  Her other doctors never suspected celiac disease.  The diet obviously worked for her.  Her daughter (my cousin) is a nurse.  She had an endoscopy but they did not check for celiac disease.  She chose to go gluten-free too since it worked for her mom.  Both will not do a gluten challenge.  However, my diagnosis has helped them get proper medical treatment.  My Aunt is very active in a celiac support group.    Now everyone in my family knows about celiac disease.  My own niece was just diagnosed with Crohn's, but her GI did test and will continue to test her for celiac disease.  You can develop additional autoimmune disorders at any time.   So far, a few other members have been tested.  No one else had had a celiac disease diagnosis yet.  Time will tell.  If I can save someone from the misery of struggling to get a diagnosis, then I can feel good.   Now, an official diagnosis will help you adhere to the diet .  You can get follow-up care.  Get checked for other things like SIBO, H. Pylori and cancer.  But ultimately, it is up to you.   Whatever you decided to do, please consider a family health history chart.  You might someday help a grandchild.   The stool tests?  In all my research, leading celiac experts do not recommend them.  http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex/  
    • The procedure is a breeze. You will go in, be sedated and go to sleep for a short nap and then it's over. Some people will have a bit of a sore throat but not everyone does. For me the hardest part of the endo was not being able to drink coffee when I got up. You seem to have been back on gluten for long enough to have the test but as CLady said there is a good chance your blood work may be negative. In your case you may want to continue eating gluten after the biopsy at least until you get your blood results. If they are negative consider going a bit longer and getting them redone.
    • I think the gene tests are accurate.  Not sure if thier interpretation of them is.   If you actually think have Celiac, you need to know that.  You  need to know how careful you must be.  You need a diagnosis to get gluten-free food in hospitals or nursing homes (if you can find one that does gluten-free food).  Because thsese "stool tests" are not medically accepted, it is unlikely that a real medical facility will consider you to have Celiac.   http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex/
    • Why would your doctor order an endoscopy and check for celiac disease, but not order a celiac panel?  Had you been gluten free already?  
    • Thanks cyclinglady ... just wondering, do most of the people on this forum believe the Enterolab stool / gene testing to be non-trustworthy? Or are you just recommending a diagnosis from my MD so that she is also treating me with full belief/knowledge of my condition? I've been gluten free now for 2 weeks - by the time I get in to my doctor, she orders the bloodwork and I get to a lab it could be another 2 weeks before the bloodwork is done. From what I understand, just a month of gluten free eating could skew the results of the blood test. Supposedly, the stool tests are much more accurate. I hate to go backwards and start eating gluten again just so I can have a blood test done that may or may not substantiate the results of the stool / gene testing. I'm so confused ...
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    KerryO