Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Pork Tenderloin & Pot Roast - Are Meats Gluten-Free?

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

#1 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I bought both of these at a health food store for dishes I'm making tomorrow & Tuesday. They both say, "Minimally Processed. No Artificial Ingredients. No Added Enhancers or Solutions".

Are these safe to eat? I'm a newbie and am eight days out from being glutened and cannot afford to be ill right now!!

Please help.

Cali
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Yes, I would think you could safely eat these. They have not been injected with any gluten-containing broth and have not been rubbed with any gluten-containing spice mixtures, i.e., nothing has been added to them is what they are saying. So unless they were cc'd by the abbatoir where they were slaughtered (not likely for gluten at least) they should be safe for you. All fresh meat that has been properly handled and not 'enhanced' is safe.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thank you. The pork tenderloin packaging left off the words " No Added Enhancers or Solutions" so I may have to give it to my neighbors!
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Normally they inject a salt solution to keep the meat looking fresh :blink: no gluten in it, but my stomach doesn't like it.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

If you are in the US, USDA regulations require any grain product in meat be disclosed.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#6 MarkLevy

MarkLevy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

If you are in the US, USDA regulations require any grain product in meat be disclosed.

Im glad u brought up the usda info which leads me to ask this question. Grain fed beef or grass fed beef? obviously I always try and buy grass fed...no artifical anything...etc etc.....we recently got a xmas gift from an oregon beef farm that they claim to be gluten-free but there livestock is raised on a all natural grain diet....what im wondering is if the livestock is eating grain does that mean or at least could it mean that when I eat that livestock am i eating grain?

#7 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

No. The animals food is digested and becomes muscle , fat, hair, etc. if food wasn't digested and changed into the animal, my son would ooze peanut butter and chocolate milk when he has a cut!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#8 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for your replies folks. I've learned so much in the past week. Cooked a gluten-free meal for the holidays and it was incredibly nice to eat with loved ones in my safe little abode. It's certainly a motivator for being the one who entertains. I'm currently at the in-laws for New Years and it has been impossible to stay gluten-free because of the meats, marinades and whathaveyou. Ugh. What I look forward to the most is not being a meek newbie anymore and finding my own system. What a process!

Let 2013 be the year of rediscovering good health. Happy New Year everyone!

Cali

#9 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

You're not meek, Sparrow. You're searching and discovering.

If you survived the in-laws visit, you can survive anything with aplumb!

My guess is that the next thing you need to learn is to say "No."

As in, "No thank you, I'd really like staying home for the holidays."

Haven't you really always wanted to do that anyway?

You can practice in front of the mirror and substitute "we" for "i". It gets easier,,,

Wish you well,
M
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#10 tm12paws

tm12paws

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I ate 1/2 a beef steak seasoned only with salt & pepper, within an hour I was having bad muscle & joint pain. I have no allergy or sensitivity to beef, or pepper (per recent (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) and skin tests)
I am wondering if maybe gluten or a by-product of gluten was present. Anyone else have problems with grain fed animal meats?

Trying to be gluten-free since December 22, 2012... but finding it hidden everywhere. Suffering & learning as I go.

M:(

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Meats are inherently gluten free, including those fed gluten-containing grain. Some meat, most especially poultry, is occasionally injected with a gluten-containing broth, in which case it must be labeled in the U.S. as containing wheat. I am sorry you ended up suffering, perhaps from something else you ate?? Sometimes reactions can be delayed.

I will add that many of us prefer to eat organic beef because of all the hormones and antibiotics added to feedlot beef which can have other effects on us, but glutening from the animals being fed gluten is not one of those effects.

Welcome to the board and let us know how else we can help you.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#12 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

I ate 1/2 a beef steak seasoned only with salt & pepper, within an hour I was having bad muscle & joint pain. I have no allergy or sensitivity to beef, or pepper (per recent (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) and skin tests)
I am wondering if maybe gluten or a by-product of gluten was present. Anyone else have problems with grain fed animal meats?

Trying to be gluten-free since December 22, 2012... but finding it hidden everywhere. Suffering & learning as I go.

M:(

How/where did you cook it?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

How/where did you cook it?

And was it literally the only thing you ate? And do you always/normally react that quickly?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: