Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pork Tenderloin & Pot Roast - Are Meats Gluten-Free?

13 posts in this topic

I bought both of these at a health food store for dishes I'm making tomorrow & Tuesday. They both say, "Minimally Processed. No Artificial Ingredients. No Added Enhancers or Solutions".

Are these safe to eat? I'm a newbie and am eight days out from being glutened and cannot afford to be ill right now!!

Please help.

Cali

Ads by Google:

Yes, I would think you could safely eat these. They have not been injected with any gluten-containing broth and have not been rubbed with any gluten-containing spice mixtures, i.e., nothing has been added to them is what they are saying. So unless they were cc'd by the abbatoir where they were slaughtered (not likely for gluten at least) they should be safe for you. All fresh meat that has been properly handled and not 'enhanced' is safe.

Thank you. The pork tenderloin packaging left off the words " No Added Enhancers or Solutions" so I may have to give it to my neighbors!

Normally they inject a salt solution to keep the meat looking fresh :blink: no gluten in it, but my stomach doesn't like it.

If you are in the US, USDA regulations require any grain product in meat be disclosed.

If you are in the US, USDA regulations require any grain product in meat be disclosed.

Im glad u brought up the usda info which leads me to ask this question. Grain fed beef or grass fed beef? obviously I always try and buy grass fed...no artifical anything...etc etc.....we recently got a xmas gift from an oregon beef farm that they claim to be gluten-free but there livestock is raised on a all natural grain diet....what im wondering is if the livestock is eating grain does that mean or at least could it mean that when I eat that livestock am i eating grain?

No. The animals food is digested and becomes muscle , fat, hair, etc. if food wasn't digested and changed into the animal, my son would ooze peanut butter and chocolate milk when he has a cut!

Thanks for your replies folks. I've learned so much in the past week. Cooked a gluten-free meal for the holidays and it was incredibly nice to eat with loved ones in my safe little abode. It's certainly a motivator for being the one who entertains. I'm currently at the in-laws for New Years and it has been impossible to stay gluten-free because of the meats, marinades and whathaveyou. Ugh. What I look forward to the most is not being a meek newbie anymore and finding my own system. What a process!

Let 2013 be the year of rediscovering good health. Happy New Year everyone!

Cali

You're not meek, Sparrow. You're searching and discovering.

If you survived the in-laws visit, you can survive anything with aplumb!

My guess is that the next thing you need to learn is to say "No."

As in, "No thank you, I'd really like staying home for the holidays."

Haven't you really always wanted to do that anyway?

You can practice in front of the mirror and substitute "we" for "i". It gets easier,,,

Wish you well,

M

I ate 1/2 a beef steak seasoned only with salt & pepper, within an hour I was having bad muscle & joint pain. I have no allergy or sensitivity to beef, or pepper (per recent (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) and skin tests)

I am wondering if maybe gluten or a by-product of gluten was present. Anyone else have problems with grain fed animal meats?

Trying to be gluten-free since December 22, 2012... but finding it hidden everywhere. Suffering & learning as I go.

M:(

Meats are inherently gluten free, including those fed gluten-containing grain. Some meat, most especially poultry, is occasionally injected with a gluten-containing broth, in which case it must be labeled in the U.S. as containing wheat. I am sorry you ended up suffering, perhaps from something else you ate?? Sometimes reactions can be delayed.

I will add that many of us prefer to eat organic beef because of all the hormones and antibiotics added to feedlot beef which can have other effects on us, but glutening from the animals being fed gluten is not one of those effects.

Welcome to the board and let us know how else we can help you.

I ate 1/2 a beef steak seasoned only with salt & pepper, within an hour I was having bad muscle & joint pain. I have no allergy or sensitivity to beef, or pepper (per recent (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) and skin tests)

I am wondering if maybe gluten or a by-product of gluten was present. Anyone else have problems with grain fed animal meats?

Trying to be gluten-free since December 22, 2012... but finding it hidden everywhere. Suffering & learning as I go.

M:(

How/where did you cook it?

How/where did you cook it?

And was it literally the only thing you ate? And do you always/normally react that quickly?