This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do I Have Celiac?

gowmichelle

gowmichelle Newbie

Please help!

Do I have celiac?

My history

Graves Disease at age 17 resulting in complete thyroidectomy at age 19....radioactive treatments did not work

Long history of depression

Diagnosed with sleep apnea 2 years ago, treated with C PAP

Constipation since birth of my son 10 years ago at age 36.

Four episodes of bloody stool last year resulting in scope....negative findings

Low normal B12 diagnosed last year. Took B12 supplements for year and now mid normal levels

No history of UTIs until 12 months ago and have now had 7 this past year

Chronic pain in shoulders, arms and feet

Normally weigh 130 pounds but have gained 40 pounds in last year.

Sister just diagnosed with celiac one month ago, also had Graves disease (hyperthyriod), but her symptoms where chronic diahrea, not constipation

If I do have celiac why did it not show up on scope?. Should I try Gluten free diet before testing to see if it helps?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

It is possible but to be honest, your symptoms also sound like hypothyroidism to me. How are your Free T4 and free T3 levels? Are they in the upper half (about 75%) of your labs normal range?

Constipation is a sign of celiac for some but it is for hypo sufferers as well. I'm guessing that's what caused your bloody stools... that's happened to me many times in the past. If your colon was scoped, it would not show any celiac damage since celiac disease affects the upper small intestine.

If you request blood tests from your doctor you will get a good idea if you are a celiac ;about 75% of celiacs will have positive blood tests. The most commonly run blood tests are:

total IgA

ttg IgA and ttg IgG

IgA EMA

DGP IgA and IgG (I think)

You need to be eating gluten for some time to have a positive test so don't go gluten-free yet if you plan on testing.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is to not have answers when you don't feel well.

gowmichelle Newbie

Thanks Nicole.

My T3 and T4 are all a high normal so I don't think that is the issue. My Dr is pretty good at testing my thyroid levels once a year and actually increased my dose of thyroxine about two years ago...first increase necessary since my thyroidectomy in 1988

My sister was diagnosed with blood work only with biopsy pending in January. She had been incorrectly diagnosed for four years as IBS.

Thanks for listing the blood work needed, I will take it to my Dr in New year. Will continue to eat gluten as well to insure accurate results.

Michelle

rosetapper23 Explorer

Even if the bloodwork comes back negative, you might wish to try the gluten-free diet. Hopefully, you'll start feeling better soon!

gowmichelle Newbie

Even if the bloodwork comes back negative, you might wish to try the gluten-free diet. Hopefully, you'll start feeling better soon!

How long does it take to start to feel better once you are gluten-free? I am assuming that the cilia take a few months to repair themselves (if ever) and wonder if anyone noticed a difference right away.

nvsmom Community Regular

How long does it take to start to feel better once you are gluten-free? I am assuming that the cilia take a few months to repair themselves (if ever) and wonder if anyone noticed a difference right away.

I noticed that my stomach aches that used to happen when I ate gluten didn't happen if I, well, didn't eat gluten. That was immediate. My bloating started to go away within a few weeks but it would come back. It was pretty much gone after 2 or so months. My migraines were gone pretty soon too; within a few weeks. My hair regrowth was noticeable within a couple of months too.

I have a few symptoms that took months to clear, but I suspect they were due to hashimoto's and are clearing up as my meds are better matched to what I need. Those symptoms include "c" (3 months) and fatigue (6 months).

My joint pain was not improved... hoping it will be. :)

I didn't have any real nutrient deficiencies, which is unusual for a celiac so my recovery might be different than others.

Best wishes to you.

Archived