This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Stupid Mistake - I Should Know Better By Now..

LauraB0927

LauraB0927 Apprentice

So I came on here to vent because most of my family can't (not that that they don't try to) understand what this is like. I'm 7 1/2 months into my gluten free lifestyle and I was over my future mother-in-law's house for Christmas today. She is wonderful and did everything in her power to make sure that the Christmas dinner was gluten free. At the end of the night she handed me a bag of home made snickerdoodle cookies to take back to my family and prefaced by saying that one pack was gluten free (for me and my sis) and the other was not. As I was watching people open presents I happily stuck my hand into the bag and pulled out a cookie. I was almost done with it when I realized that I had chosen a cookie from the gluten pack, and not the gluten free. Obviously panicked, I ran to the bathroom and spit out any trace that was still left in my mouth but the damage had been done - and I had tickets reserved and paid for to see Les Miserables later tonight. I had been waiting for this movie to come out for months and there was NO way that I would miss it now. Half way through the movie I was bloated to no end and the pain started. This is the first time since going gluten free that I had out right eaten gluten besides accidental trace amounts along the way.

I know I shouldn't continue to beat myself up about this - we all make mistakes right? But this was a huge mistake. I cant stop smacking myself in the head and saying "how could I have done that?" It was a rookie mistake and I'm so embarrassed inside. Now I'm timing all my symptoms so I can actually learn something from this. The heating pad is warming up now and the bottles of water are being chugged. I hope that tomorrow shows some signs of relief. At least Les Miserables was worth it... :)

Thanks for letting me vent....you guys are all awesome! Happy gluten-free Holidays to all!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

This has probably happened to all of us at one time or another. I remember once at a picnic, I accidentally picked up my husband's cup of beer rather than my cup of wine (they were both in those red picnic cups and looked pretty identical in color). I nearly panicked....and I couldn't believe being so inept and careless...but it happens.

Hopefully, you'll start feeling better soon....

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Sorry you got got. We do all do it. I had 3 wholemeal rolls once before I noticed my dh had picked up the wrong pack. Go easy on yourself x

julissa Explorer

so sorry, hope you're feeling better today

mamaw Community Regular

feel better soon. when things happen like this it is a great learning tool...usually only takes once or twice. But don't beat yourself up over it, I'm sure it will make you more aware & more careful .....in the future.. It's all part of the learning curve....

IrishHeart Veteran

You said it yourself "rookie mistake" and we've all been there/done that!

Hope you feel better quickly. Water, probiotics, rest... and as my dear Dad would say "this too shall pass". (literally)

hugs, IH

and just to make you giggle...

Laura B ! don't do that again!.

slap-in-the-face.gif

just teasing you, sweetie...you're going to be all right. We all make mistakes. Have a Happy , healthy New Year, hon!

Adalaide Mentor

We all make mistakes, we're only human. At least you made it through the movie though. (and I'm sort of a little jealous!) Feel better soon, and stop beating yourself up. I'm sure you feel crappy enough without adding a self inflicted beating to it. It sounds like you had an otherwise excellent Christmas. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Ha ha! IH, you'll always have my heart! Happy Holidays to you! And I would LOVE to have a healthy 2013--my previous alternative therapies failed me so that the cancer has spread. However, I just started taking a new alternative therapy (Protocel) that has a great track record for sending metastasized cancer into remission 80% of the time. After six days, the tumor on my back disappeared....so I'm hopeful that it's working. I'm trying to be strong....and am hoping that 2013 will be the turnaround year for me with this awful disease.

Thanks for thinking of me!

IrishHeart Veteran

Ha ha! IH, you'll always have my heart! Happy Holidays to you! And I would LOVE to have a healthy 2013--my previous alternative therapies failed me so that the cancer has spread. However, I just started taking a new alternative therapy (Protocel) that has a great track record for sending metastasized cancer into remission 80% of the time. After six days, the tumor on my back disappeared....so I'm hopeful that it's working. I'm trying to be strong....and am hoping that 2013 will be the turnaround year for me with this awful disease.

Thanks for thinking of me!

Oh sweetheart Rosetapper!!

I just have to clarify.....I was addressing LAURA B, the OP.. (because that's her name)--with that silly kidding slap across the face emoticon. I think you saw "Laura "and thought I had "slapped you" :D

But you know that I do send you prayers and wishes all the time and I have been wondering what's been going on with you. I have not seen any updates from you recently, so I am glad to hear you are fighting the good fight. As always! That Protocel sounds promising-I will have to read more about it and talk with you more via PM or email.

You are an amazingly strong woman and I always send positive, healing thoughts to you. I believe in all possibilities,

Hang tough, dear girl.

hugs, IH

Chaff Explorer

Oh dear. I'm going to have another gluten nightmare tonight from this. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm always mildly terrified I'm going to do.

But hey -- another reason to go see Les Miz again in the theater, right?

GottaSki Mentor

Good attitude - treat yourself to a second showing - and know we all make mistakes no matter how long we've been at this.

Nothing against your future MIL - but as your time gluten-free increases you may not even tolerate her atempts to make you gluten-free treats - I hope you are able to enjoy her generosity, but wanted you to keep the possibility that you won't in mind.

Hope you are feeling much better - do keep the water coming - it helps recovery quite a bit :)

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Thank you for all your responses!! Its kind of comforting to know that I'm not the only one who's done this - but at the same time I'm sorry that it happened to you guys too! I think it was more the anxiety reaction and thinking to myself "Ok, I probably have about two hours to prepare myself." The waiting game is what sucked the most. The digestive enzymes and water helped a lot and I didnt feel all too bad yesterday except for the joint pain creeping up (and the fact that my brain fog was so thick I wasnt able to process questions appropriately). I think from now on I will only eat the food I make at other people's homes that way there is no confusion in the future. Now I just have to figure out how to tell my MIL.. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I have eaten dinner at WE (wheat eater) friend's homes without problems. It can be done.

But, I brought a flexible cutting board for them to use and I oversaw every step of the preparation of the meal, helped with the slicing and dicing and looked at labels, etc. It was fun and no one was upset or worried.

I brought a gluten-free dessert for us all to share and the wine.

It can be done, yes....but those friends also read about celiac, cross contamination and they took the time to wipe down their counters before

we got started on the meal prep.

Simply explain that cooking in a gluteny kitchen has the potential to cross contaminate anything she lovingly makes for you, even though she used "gluten free ingredients".

Some day, maybe the two of you can cook or bake something TOGETHER, so she can see how it's done? It's not hat complicated, it will bond the two of you and make everyone feel less worried about the whole "eating together" thing.

This is for the rest of your life, so you may as well educate and enlighten her now so it becomes "the norm". If children are in your future, then her grandkids may need to be gluten-free too. (just sayin...) ;)

Glad you are feeling better!

Not sure why, but Les Miz got a crappy review from the movie reviewers here, but they said that Anne Hathaway's performance was stunning

and she looked pitiful with no hair and all skinny and stuff.

I thought she just looked like me when I was sick. :huh: She just needs some gluten-free snickerdoodles to fatten her up. :D

notme Experienced

I have eaten dinner at WE (wheat eater) friend's homes without problems. It can be done.

HEY, NOW, IH - you're getting a little free and loose with the (ahem, made up, cough, cough) abbreviations there! i have a daughter and two son-in-laws in the military that i need my husband to translate for me when they start speaking USAF and USMC!! :D

IrishHeart Veteran

HEY, NOW, IH - you're getting a little free and loose with the (ahem, made up, cough, cough) abbreviations there! i have a daughter and two son-in-laws in the military that i need my husband to translate for me when they start speaking USAF and USMC!! :D

A military family--God Bless and ....Please thank them all for their service and tell them come home safely.

I call my family of WE's...."WE's.".....which I guess makes us......."NONWEs"? "GEEFREEBIES"?

er, um, SMART?

notme Experienced

A military family--God Bless and ....Please thank them all for their service and tell them come home safely.

I call my family of WE's...."WE's.".....which I guess makes us......."NONWEs"? "GEEFREEBIES"?

er, um, SMART?

geefreebies :) lolz i still don't know what 'dh' means when referring to (significant other??)

to laura b - don't beat yourself up - i licked a (gluten-crumb laden) ladle putting up leftovers over thanksgiving after i made everybody else be so careful!! dah!!

kareng Grand Master

geefreebies :) lolz i still don't know what 'dh' means when referring to (significant other??)

to laura b - don't beat yourself up - i licked a (gluten-crumb laden) ladle putting up leftovers over thanksgiving after i made everybody else be so careful!! dah!!

Dh - Darling husband ( when we aren't talking about a nasty, itchy, ugly rash). :)

GottaSki Mentor

Dh - Darling husband ( when we aren't talking about a nasty, itchy, ugly rash). :)

Each can be irritating - yet the Dhubbys generally have several possitive attributes -- while DH has no redeeming qualities ;)

gatita Enthusiast

Ouch!!! As soon as I saw the title of your post I could relate.

I think this is one of the few diseases where it's easy to blame ourselves every time we have a relapse... I know I always feel guilty when I call in sick, as if my boss is thinking "What stupid thing did you do now?" Arrrgh....

Hope it wasn't too bad this time.

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Ouch!!! As soon as I saw the title of your post I could relate.

I think this is one of the few diseases where it's easy to blame ourselves every time we have a relapse... I know I always feel guilty when I call in sick, as if my boss is thinking "What stupid thing did you do now?" Arrrgh....

Hope it wasn't too bad this time.

Hahaha I feel the same way!!! Thank goodness my boss is VERY understanding and was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis herself so she is very sensitive to autoimmune issues. It just sounds sooo ridiculous to call your boss and say, "I'm sorry, I cant make it in today, I ate a cookie ...and just so you know, I'll be mentally out of it for the next week or so because of this.."

It wasn't too bad physically, I'm thinking that I experience more neurological symptoms than physical (however I bloat up and distend like a blimp and just wait for people to ask me how far along I am). Brain fog is lifting but the joints are still irritating me a bit. Thanks a lot for your kind words!!!!

Archived