Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Walmart And Gluten Free Section

29 posts in this topic

ALWAYS READ THE LABEL!! Even if you shop in a store where they have a gluten-free section, some shopper might have picked something up in a different part of the store, then noticed they had a gluten-free version of it and just plopped the gluteny one on the shelf and taken the gluten-free one instead. Or maybe something that always used to be gluten-free has changed their recipe and it is no longer gluten-free. We can't rely on the employees to read the label and determine it no longer belongs in the gluten-free section.

No matter where you shop and how many times you have purchased something, ALWAYS READ THE LABEL.

Ads by Google:

ALWAYS READ THE LABEL!! Even if you shop in a store where they have a gluten-free section, some shopper might have picked something up in a different part of the store, then noticed they had a gluten-free version of it and just plopped the gluteny one on the shelf and taken the gluten-free one instead. Or maybe something that always used to be gluten-free has changed their recipe and it is no longer gluten-free. We can't rely on the employees to read the label and determine it no longer belongs in the gluten-free section.

No matter where you shop and how many times you have purchased something, ALWAYS READ THE LABEL.

EXACTLY! We are responsible for our own health. I would not dare leave these decisions to others. Prior to my own celiac diagnosis I knew so very little about it and cannot expect everyone, including employees, to be well versed in it (though that would be lovely).

Indeed!

I do not do much shopping in the 'middle' isles. I may go down them to find a spacific thing (peanut butter i'ma lookin' at you), but elsewise i steer clear.

For example, the one store i normally go to has a gluten free section, but they also put 'organic' things at the bottom row....

For example, the one store i normally go to has a gluten free section, but they also put 'organic' things at the bottom row....

I think most stores do that, actually, One special diet merges into another, into and out of organic, gluten free, diabetic....