28 replies to this topic

#16 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Our WM has no gluten-free section - just a couple of things literally under the wheat flour. :angry: No loss - I really dislike WM anyway and would not go there unless I absolutely had to.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Our Walmart has a small gluten-free section but you will also find gluten-free products mixed in on other aisles. We have learned the hard way to check every label on the items that Walmart sells and to look for things that are made on shared lines. There isn't much in the way of food that we can buy there.

#18 fran641

fran641

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Our local WM has a small gluten free section. I have been doing this awhile so I watch all the labels. I noticed that they had a wheat based product (with similar brand name) mixed in with the gluten free. That product very easily could have been mistaken for gluten-free if a someone new to gluten-free didn't notice the small print. I ask a sales clerk why that was with the gluten-free items. In her most "uncheerful" voice her reply was "that is just where we put it".....duhhhhhh
Fran

Gluten free since Dec. 2008

New food sensitivities rear their ugly heads as time goes on.
Diagnosed with follicular Non Hodgkin Lymphoma Sept. 2010

#19 revolverblue85

revolverblue85

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease today. I got off work at 9:45pm and went to Wal Mart to see if they had a gluten free section. They do not, and I didn't get home until 12:40pm. RIDICULOUS. I left with maybe 10 items, and I had to really search for them. Between figuring out where the gluten free products were to figuring out which ones were truly gluten free, I am exhausted. I will be trying our Food Lion, Farm fresh as I have heard they have gluten free sections. Then i guess ill try trader joes even though the food is awful.

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease today. I got off work at 9:45pm and went to Wal Mart to see if they had a gluten free section. They do not, and I didn't get home until 12:40pm. RIDICULOUS. I left with maybe 10 items, and I had to really search for them. Between figuring out where the gluten free products were to figuring out which ones were truly gluten free, I am exhausted. I will be trying our Food Lion, Farm fresh as I have heard they have gluten free sections. Then i guess ill try trader joes even though the food is awful.

Welcome Revolverblue!

I remember well the frustration of reading every flipping label in the grocery store -- was reduced to tears a few times. Many here will suggest you stick to simple whole foods when newly diagnosed. This is great advice -- not only is it easier to find gluten free foods when you avoid processed items, you will heal more quickly.

When you hit the grocery store -- concentrate on the perimeter of the store -- where most of the naturally gluten-free foods are kept - produce, meat, dairy. Add a bag of plain rice and you'll have a basket full of food you know is gluten-free.

Good Luck to you :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#21 revolverblue85

revolverblue85

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

Welcome Revolverblue!

I remember well the frustration of reading every flipping label in the grocery store -- was reduced to tears a few times. Many here will suggest you stick to simple whole foods when newly diagnosed. This is great advice -- not only is it easier to find gluten free foods when you avoid processed items, you will heal more quickly.

When you hit the grocery store -- concentrate on the perimeter of the store -- where most of the naturally gluten-free foods are kept - produce, meat, dairy. Add a bag of plain rice and you'll have a basket full of food you know is gluten-free.

Good Luck to you :)

Thank you for the advice. Luckily I have a very supportive wife. My only concern is passing it to my daughter. She eats great as it is but I do notice several symptoms on occasion. Thanks again

#22 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

The only reasons I shop at Wal-Mart are because I am too poor to have principles, (an ongoing joke in our house. :lol:) and because after a year I can flip a product over, read the ingredients list and decide if it is safe or not without consulting my 3-ring binder. I did initially stop shopping there for myself when first diagnosed because their fresh foods suck, I have three health food stores in my city and three grocery stores with either health food or gluten free sections. I'm not even including the other three grocery stores I don't ever go to or all of the ethnic markets that I love love love! Yes, by the way, I am in fact aware of the fact that I am a spoiled brat. I don't need Wal-Mart for their great selection <_< I need them for their low low prices.

I agree that giving up all that processed junk is most healthy early on. It took some time for me. Emotionally I just couldn't let go for a while and looking back I see that while I felt better, I didn't see a significant improvement in my health until I gave up the bulk of those processed foods. And yes, it is also far less stressful. You'll get the hang of it in time.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#23 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

We are so much better off than just 8 years ago! There are more products in normal grocery stores. In our early days we had to go to specific health food stores. You better believe gluten free products/ flours were right next to "extra" gluten mix bags. There are so many mainstream products that reformulated to be gluten free (some Chex cereals).
Michigan

#24 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Most of my local supermarkets have a section for special dietary needs, but none that I've noticed actually have a gluten-free section. What I *have* noticed is that the gluten-free sections are crazy-overpriced and I haven't really been shopping from any of them since before I got officially diagnosed (when my bloodwork had come back "probably celiac" I started researching immediately). I haven't even bothered looking in WalMart though I might next time just out of curiosity. The special dietary needs sections in general are so random it's kind of amusing (like mommida mentioned, there'll be gluten-free products right next to a bag of stuff with extra, "wholesome" gluten).

Also worth noting is that Wal-Mart is notoriously crappy to its employees; it's nobody's dream job. The employees there are working there because they need they money, and they deal with stupid, irritating and rude customers all day. Most people, even well-meaning ones, don't know much about gluten unless they or someone they know can't eat it. It was unprofessional for the guy at walmart to hang up on the OP, but in general, it's kind of hard to totally blame a walmart employee for being clueless when being asked about gluten, because there's a good chance they don't really know what you're talking about unless they're gluten-free or someone they know is gluten-free.
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#25 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

there isn't a gluten free section at my wal-mart but there is at Kroger..that's where I shop the most. More expensive though..I think it's too bad that gluten-free stuff is more expensive..like pasta...gluten-free flours are pricey too for the amount that you get. I know I need to eat healthier but sometimes I want a donut, ya know! :)

#26 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

ALWAYS READ THE LABEL!! Even if you shop in a store where they have a gluten-free section, some shopper might have picked something up in a different part of the store, then noticed they had a gluten-free version of it and just plopped the gluteny one on the shelf and taken the gluten-free one instead. Or maybe something that always used to be gluten-free has changed their recipe and it is no longer gluten-free. We can't rely on the employees to read the label and determine it no longer belongs in the gluten-free section.

No matter where you shop and how many times you have purchased something, ALWAYS READ THE LABEL.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#27 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

ALWAYS READ THE LABEL!! Even if you shop in a store where they have a gluten-free section, some shopper might have picked something up in a different part of the store, then noticed they had a gluten-free version of it and just plopped the gluteny one on the shelf and taken the gluten-free one instead. Or maybe something that always used to be gluten-free has changed their recipe and it is no longer gluten-free. We can't rely on the employees to read the label and determine it no longer belongs in the gluten-free section.

No matter where you shop and how many times you have purchased something, ALWAYS READ THE LABEL.

EXACTLY! We are responsible for our own health. I would not dare leave these decisions to others. Prior to my own celiac diagnosis I knew so very little about it and cannot expect everyone, including employees, to be well versed in it (though that would be lovely).
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#28 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Indeed!

I do not do much shopping in the 'middle' isles. I may go down them to find a spacific thing (peanut butter i'ma lookin' at you), but elsewise i steer clear.

For example, the one store i normally go to has a gluten free section, but they also put 'organic' things at the bottom row....

#29 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

For example, the one store i normally go to has a gluten free section, but they also put 'organic' things at the bottom row....

I think most stores do that, actually, One special diet merges into another, into and out of organic, gluten free, diabetic....
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009