This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help, Again. Please

DavinaRN

DavinaRN Explorer

Ok I ate at O'Charleys for lunch. Salad (lettuce & cheese only) with ranch (listed as gluten free) and Loaded potato soup (listed as gluten free). Got a second bowl of soup, ate a few bites and started filling my normal gluten sick (11:30 am-neasua, pain, "D" feeling, just not having). I took a zofran, BC (always get body aches, stabbing abdominal pain soon after) and continued shopping. Fast forward to 1:30ish, palms were red, itching and burning; I was so sick to stomach, "D" feeling bad but not started, could barely stand straight due to abdominal pain. Thank God my mom with me, told her we had to leave store (had been to bathroom twice, but no "D"). I made it to sidewalk but just sitting down, while she got my car. Headed home, had to stop to get benedryl due to clawing palms and soles of feet time 1:50 when I took 50mg. Had "D" accident on way home :(. Got home 2:10, shower taken. By 2:30, severe chest tightness, felt like a bear hug from a giant who wouldn't let go, rash head to toe, fire truck red skin head to toe. Epi-pen shot and off to ER. At ER, bag of IV fluid, shot thru IV, prednisone, atarax, Pepcid. More "D" and threw up what was left in my tummy. Now I still have quesy tummy and "D" and get to look forward to 60mg prednisone a day for next 5 days.

So after my wonderful day of shopping with my mom, do you think gluten allergy instead of intolerance or some of both. Gotta follow up with primary (the one who said couldn't have wheat/gluten issues without constant "D")

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Sounds to me like you had a possible reaction to the medication on top of a glutening. You can take something one day and be utterly fine with it and the next time you take it, it'll bite ya (i speak from experience). I mention this because its a bit too long of the time between the possible glutening and the time you were in the E.R. Generally, if ya have an allergic reaction, it'll take place (the severe part of it) within 30 or so minutes after ingestion.

HeazerHacker Newbie

When I got diagnosed with Celiac, I had to get multiple I.V.s for malnutrition and dehydration. I agree with shadowicewolf though that some of that sounds like an allergy. Have you ever had the allergy test where they give you a bunch of shots and tell you what you are allergic too? Maybe you should find out in case you do have an allergy so you do not end up with anaphylaxis. Have you been tested for Celiac? If so and you know you do not have it then it would not hurt to get an allergy test for wheat/gluten. When I have gluten, I get sick for days, sometimes up to a week. It is terrible, and that is why I end up with I.V.s

Piccolo Apprentice

I found out from experience O'Charley's is not a safe place for us to eat in. I am not sensitive at all and the one meal I had there I reacted to. It kept me on the pot for a while.

Hope you feel better.

Susan

Adalaide Mentor

You certainly had an allergic reaction. You also had a classic gluten CC reaction. I have to agree that you should do an allergy test to determine what it is you are allergic to. Until such time as you know, I would entirely avoid eating out and most processed foods because there is simply no way for you to know what it is you had an allergic reaction to. As a small girl my daughter's best friend was allergic to strawberries. Talking to her mom it seemed that she was fine one time and the next she simply wasn't. Because you were in a restaurant setting and there really isn't a way to know what on earth your food was in contact with, the allergic reaction could be a result of pretty much anything at all.

For those of us who simply have bad reactions and celiac, we "only" have to deal with being miserably ill and neurological problems and pain for a few weeks or months if we eat out and it all goes horribly wrong. For those with allergies it can be truly life threatening, it may be have to be a line in the sand for you.

DavinaRN Explorer

Thanks everyone. After much research late last night, I have found that anaphylactic allergic reactions symptoms can include digestive issues (nausea, vomiting , abdominal cramps, diarrhea), skin issues (flushing, swelling, hives, itching) respiratory issues (coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness) heart/circulation (low blood pressure, dizziness, fainting) not to mention eye, nose, and nervous symptom. So even though I had decrease in joint pain and headaches along with GI issues. Thinking I may have both. Allergy testing Jan 11

nvsmom Community Regular

Oh geez. Good luck with your testing! I hope you never have another experience like that again... Yikes!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived