Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac And Hypoglycemia

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone on here had problems with hypoglycemia when first being diagnosed for Celiac. If so, how long after going gluten free did it resolve? How can I make sure my sugar is healthy until my intestine heals?

Ads by Google:

Are you eating a lot of gluten free baked goods, pre-made gluten free foods, grains or fruit? Naturally gluten free foods (vegetables, meats, eggs, cheese, etc.) are also what is recommended to keep blood sugars stable, but ready made gluten free foods contain a ton of sugar that can cause blood sugar spikes.

If you are taking medication for diabetes, maybe you should talk to your doctor about adjusting your dosage?

I had some problems with this that resolved within about 3 months of being gluten-free. I never saw a doctor about it, but if I didn't eat every 2-3 hours, I had the shakes and got headaches. I have low blood pressure so that didn't help... I ended up light headed and shaky a few times a week.

After 6 months gluten-free, this very rarely happens to me anymore, and I can easily go 6 hours without eating.I do eat less processed foods now, and not a lot of starches, so diet (beyond gluten-free) could have been a factor with me.

My hypoglycemia was worse while I was eating gluten. Over the years I had learned to include protein with breakfast or pay the price after an hour or two. Now I eat few starches at all and have not been hypoglycemic at all! I never would have thought that I could eat vegetables and 1egg for breakfast, and those calories would hold me comfortably until lunchtime.

If you are eating the same as before but simply replacing gluten products with gluten-free products, then you may need to make more of a change for your body to be healthy. Good luck!

Are you eating a lot of gluten free baked goods, pre-made gluten free foods, grains or fruit? Naturally gluten free foods (vegetables, meats, eggs, cheese, etc.) are also what is recommended to keep blood sugars stable, but ready made gluten free foods contain a ton of sugar that can cause blood sugar spikes.

If you are taking medication for diabetes, maybe you should talk to your doctor about adjusting your dosage?

No diabetes, thank goodness. I am doing a lot of the processed gluten free grains though. I am going to try more of the foods you mentioned and see if there is any improvement. Diabetes does run in my family, but I don't.

My hypoglycemia was worse while I was eating gluten. Over the years I had learned to include protein with breakfast or pay the price after an hour or two. Now I eat few starches at all and have not been hypoglycemic at all! I never would have thought that I could eat vegetables and 1egg for breakfast, and those calories would hold me comfortably until lunchtime.

If you are eating the same as before but simply replacing gluten products with gluten-free products, then you may need to make more of a change for your body to be healthy. Good luck!

I'm glad someone else had this experience. I am trying to change my starch intake, as it is very high.

I have to eat every few hours or I get light headed. That may be normal. People have posted some good ideas. I eat nuts and a safe cereal for breakfast and eggs many days as well. I do pretty good with that and always carry a safe granola bar too.

Try eating more good fats, such as found in nuts, coconut products such as coconut milk, and avocados, besides switching some or most of the starches into higher protein versions.

If you truly do have hypoglycemia, your Dr. should prescribe a meter for you so that you can test your blood sugar. If you have a prescription for both that and the test strips to be used with it, then your insurance will most likely cover it. If you have no insurance and/or your Dr. won't prescribe these things, then the Walmart brand is the cheapest one to buy. You want to keep your blood sugar somewhere around 80 at all times but your Dr. is the best one to ask about this. I have to keep mine from 90 to 130 but... I am a diabetic.

Another thing that could be happening is not low blood sugar at all but a big spike in blood sugar, followed by a quick drop. You may actually even have high blood sugar when this happens. So really you should run this by the Dr.

Are you eating or drinking fast acting carbs? Like white rice? White rice flour? Potatoes? Fruit juice? If so then you might need to change what you are eating to more complex carbs and/or things with fat in them.

There is also an older topic on a similar subject (the focus is more on "rescue foods") that you may find useful: