Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten-Free Sourdough Starter - Celiac.com

8 posts in this topic

Celiac.com

Gluten-free Sourdough Starter

Celiac.com

Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.

View the full article

Ads by Google:

I would try this. Does any one have a good gluten free sour dough bread recipe ? ( with out xanthan gum )

False - you do not get the benefits of the lactobacillus in the bread. It is killed by the heat of baking the bread.

I dont care about the benefits /or not of the lactobacillus in the bread.,,, I would just like to be able to eat some kind of bread .

Sorry - I was replying to the article itself, not your reply.

I've got a good starter that involves cabbage and apple peels! Will post after I finish making my bread.

I've got a good starter that involves cabbage and apple peels! Will post after I finish making my bread.

:wub: XOXO :wub:

False - you do not get the benefits of the lactobacillus in the bread. It is killed by the heat of baking the bread.

False false. If the lactobacillus has already performed a function in the process of creating bread, such as growing in a starter medium to be used like yeast, or helping to break down, by soaking, gluten- free grains further before baking, then it did perform a beneficial function, even if it then was sacrificed during the final cooking phase. Example: using cultured yogurt in a recipe calling for dairy, instead of milk, to avoid a lactose reaction.