This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh Rash Bleeding Now

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I've managed to scratch my DH that is all over my back at night and now it is itchy AND bleeding. Nothing like having a bleeding back! UGH. Any ideas on what I can do for this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Walgreens sells metal back-scratchers that are easy to clean and keep you from having blood under your finger nails. Wait, is that not the type of help you were looking for? :lol:

It took me all of about 2 days to scratch myself to bleeding. I saw my doctor immediately and got put on steroids. I think it was 20mg prednisone twice a day for 5 days. This with a low iodine diet didn't clear me up right away, but it really made a big dent in the itching and pain within days and made it bearable until it did clear up. These days, while I have to remain mostly low iodine, I have determined that I can infrequently indulge in a little bit of the "forbidden" foods without flaring up. I also caught it and recognized the rash immediately as it started and had the appointment with my doctor before a week was up. Few are so lucky. Do not forget to call the manufacturer of your prescription (if you go that route) before filling to verify that it is gluten free and free of whichever red dye it is we can't have. Not that I've ever seen red dyed steroids. Steroid creams can also help, although I doubt a doctor will want to prescribe both. I found some relief with calamine, only the pink one! but I've seen others say that it isn't particularly great. The best relief was standing in warm showers.

I haven't been paying much attention over this way, but if someone hasn't already told you this it is super important to make sure your soap, shampoo and lotion are all gluten free. While it may not be the world's biggest deal for other people as long as they aren't eating it, rashy people have to be careful.

rosetapper23 Explorer

You might want to test for staph--sometimes it invades the DH. If this is the problem, antibiotics will help resolve the rash. (Sorry about the bleeding--ouch!)

squirmingitch Veteran

It's red dye #3 that has the iodine in it (in the USA). Sometimes they coat pills with red coloring & remember that red is used to make orange coatings.

GFMO, I did the same. I have no answers except to get OxiClean Max Force stain remover to get the blood out of the sheets. The CVS brand of Caladryl (copycat) worked for us pretty well but you have to put on 2 or 3 coats. And then sometimes it just doesn't dent the itch.

Adalaide ---- you say Walgreens has the metal back scratchers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adalaide Mentor

It's red dye #3 that has the iodine in it (in the USA). Sometimes they coat pills with red coloring & remember that red is used to make orange coatings.

GFMO, I did the same. I have no answers except to get OxiClean Max Force stain remover to get the blood out of the sheets. The CVS brand of Caladryl (copycat) worked for us pretty well but you have to put on 2 or 3 coats. And then sometimes it just doesn't dent the itch.

Adalaide ---- you say Walgreens has the metal back scratchers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just knew it wasn't the #40 that was the problem. I swear my mind is going. I'm not old enough for that yet! You can get blood stains out of sheets? Who knew! Meh, they're soft and comfy and no one else looks at them so whatever. I'll worry about that next time when I haven't perma-stained them by putting them through the dryer 100 times by now.

Yes, yes they do. Wooden ones too, but those get blood stains. I am not telling you how I know this. :ph34r:

squirmingitch Veteran

I know which red dye b/c my hubs must ask me 50 times a day! :lol: :lol: Every time he starts to eat something that is red he asks me. I feel like tattooing it on his hand so he won't keep asking me. And then he always says ---- are you sure? You're pushing it buster!

Oh yes! The Oxi Clean Max Force works like a charm for blood but you have to put it on for a few minutes before they go in the washer. Before I had dh I used to use something called S 32 for blood stains & it worked great too.

You keep me laughing Adalaide! Maybe the Oxi Clean will get the blood out of wood too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

It can help to wash/scrub in cold water 1st for blood stains, preferably ASAP. Hot water can set the stain. A quick scrub in cold, some oxy straight on then the washer is pretty good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

My DD got me a metal back scratcher about 3 years ago ( the best present she ever got me :wub: )

You can get blood out of sheets ?? who knew :P

To the OP ,

staying low iodine is the only thing that works for my DH

L.J. Rookie

Hi All of my GFF's! Welcome GFreeMO!

Some familiar names I see here! Oh the rash. It is wicked, yes?

For me, a metal back scratcher brings visions of horror movies into my mind! :D

I was on Prednasone for quite awhile...months--at the 20 mg...then tapered down. My dr. gave me Fluocinonide--prescription--it has been a great help--if I "catch" the rash early, the symptoms are *much* better! I wear gloves at night still...and have cut down on any spicy foods, tomatos, and did the "low iodine" for as long as I could...

SquirmyItch and others here gave me great advice regarding my rashes--I too bled on the sheets--but the stains come out like they say! If I scratch my rash, it becomes *much* worse--so I use the cream mentioned above...For me, a Lifesaver!

I also watch what I eat carefully! Changed ALL of my shampoos, creams, lotions, soaps, hair dye, and even makeup. My rashes (oh, dare I say this???? :D are better)!!! :wub: Not gone--but much improved.

Great advice being given to you above (although, the metal back scratcher is definitely a scarey one for me :D :D !

Keep checking back--never did I believe that the rash could get as good as it is now--Do not give up! And keep your head up! ;)

sisterlynr Explorer

I've managed to scratch my DH that is all over my back at night and now it is itchy AND bleeding. Nothing like having a bleeding back! UGH. Any ideas on what I can do for this?

I have taken baths with Epson Salts and soaked my back. I use Sarna (sensitive) anti-itch lotion, it works better for me than any OTC product. It was less expensive at Wal-greens. I have read that you can add 1 Cup of bleach to a full tub of water for relief. I didn't do that but did go to the pool. I use a back scratcher and it doesn't tear up my skin as much as the finger nails. I use a teak wood scratcher and sanitize it with alcohol.

Peroxide will remove blood too. I had a surgeon's wife tell me she buys it in bulk for her wash. :unsure: I have ruined all of my sleepwear and my pillow covers. I stopped using pillow cases until my neck, shoulders and head lesions healed.

BTW, I have also applied athletic feet lotion to my lower back. It seems to work by drying the lesions. . . I know DH isn't from bacteria/etc. but, hey . . . also have used Prep H on my tail end and it soothed the lesions and gave relief to the itch. . . I guess if the Director of Nursing at the hospital I worked out could use it for wrinkle repair. . . :D I could use it for itchiness!

Dh122012 Newbie

I use Sarna (sensitive) anti-itch lotion, it works better for me than any OTC product. It was less expensive at Wal-greens.

I love Sarna! Its the best OTC product I have ever used for the itch!!! It literally saved my sanity during pregnancy when I had to stop all the topical corticosteriods, topical immunomodulators and sedative antihistamines (before I found it was DH and was being treat for severe eczema). I bought it at Walmart. Online too sometimes (free delivery) then I didn't even have to face the pubic :ph34r:

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone!! I'm going to try your suggestions. Hopefully I can get some relief.

Archived