Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

New With Questions

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I am a 41 year old male. I don't have the strong stomach or digestive symptoms that you hear about with Celiac disease however have many problems with leg cramping, pretty significant twitching of muscles while body is at rest, shaky hands, finger nail problems with raised bumps and white areas on a few fingers, cloudy head, trouble concentrating, bradycardia, very dry flaky skin on both sides of my nose. I have also had test in June cause I was feeling very tired and dizzy when I got up from laying down or sitting. They found then that I had normocytic anemic and also had elevated Prolactin (42.7) Anyway I had a tissue transglutaminase iga test done a couple of weeks ago and my results are as follows....

TIS TRANSGLUT AB,Iga My Value: >100 U/ml

Reference range: <4.0 (Negative)

(Note)

Interpretation: Positive (>10.0)

TIS TRANSGLUT AB,IgG My Value: 1.6 U/ml

Reference range: <6.0 (Negative)

Also Ferritin Test Results...

My result 20 ng/ml Range: 20-300 ng/ml

Vitamin B12 Test Results...

My result 396 Range: > 200

Vitamin D Test Results...

25-HYDROXY D2 My result < 4.0

25-HYDROXY D3 My result 26

25-HYDROXY D TOTAL My result 26

Thyroid Test are negative

MRI test was negative for tumor that would cause the elevated Prolactin.

I have had a Colonoscopy that was done in June that showed nothing at all.

I had the Endoscopy done last Monday after which the Dr. that did the scope said that he did not see anything that would indicate Celiac disease and that maybe I am just sensitive to gluten. I have not received the results of the biopsies yet.

My questions are from what I have heard that a TTG test >100 is a pretty high value and I am wondering if the Dr should have seen anything during the endoscopy.

Also I have read that TTG can have false Positives for other Autoimmune Diseases and wondering if it is not Celiac if it could be something else with my TTG levels so high... or is the TTG so specific for Celiac that I have it and they did not find it or I am just sensitive to glutten. Or can you not have much damage to your intestine but have the neurological symptoms.

Thanks for any info or personal experiences you can provide.

Ads by Google:

Looks as though you may be suffering from a few nutritional deficiencies. A good start is to take Country Life Natural Vitamin D (it also contains Vitamin A, which I believe some of your symptoms indicate that you may be in low in) as well as medium-chain triglycerides, which will help your body absorb them. Also, you may wish to supplement with chelated manganese for your muscles. If your muscle issues don't resolve, please let me know, because I have a suggestion that involves parent essential oils (Omega 3s and 6s) that works great....but I thought you might wish to try these other, easier things first.

Damage to the gut is pretty severe if it can be seen with the naked eye. Wait for your biopsy results to come back and see what the pathologist has to say and then if necessary we can start speculating on your tTG. :)

You do have a very positive ttg IgA test. That is most likely an indicator of celiac but it could also be from diabetes, thyroid disease or even autoimmune liver problems, although it is less likely. There a few other blood tests that can be done:

• AGA (antigliadin antibodies)-IgA
  • AGA-IgG
  • EMA (anti-endomysial antibodies)-IgA

EMA IgA is considered to be the most specific to celiac.

If your biopsy and other blood tests come up negative for celiac disease, you might want to look into thyroid testing (free T4, free T3, TSH, and TPO Ab) because many of your symptoms are those of hypothyroidism... Actually even if your celiac panel is positive you might want to get it checked since many celiacs have thyroid problems, a routine check is how I discovered my hashimotos (hypothyroidism), and I had MANY of the same symptoms as you.

After your testing is done, regardless of the outcomes, I think you should go on the gluten-free diet for at least a few months since ttg IGA can (and often does) indicate celiac disease. It can't hurt.

Best wishes to you. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks everyone. I just got my results and biopsy supported blood work and I have Celiac.

(hugs) I'm glad you know for sure and hope you have a fast recovery.

Hi Breiec,

Welcome to the forum! :) The good news is you now know why you have been sick. So you can start on the gluten-free diet and begin getting better. Don't be upset if it takes a few months to get past some of the symptoms. Actually it can take a year or more to recover. But everyone has their own body and timelines vary a lot.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take gluten-free vitamins.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods.

Avoid alcohol.

Helpful threads:

FAQ Celiac com

http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?

http://www.celiac.co...reakfast-today/

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

http://www.celiac.co...or-lunch-today/

What's for dinner tonight chat?

http://www.celiac.co...ooking-tonight/

Dessert thread

http://www.celiac.co...399#entry802399

Easy yummy bread in minutes

http://www.celiac.co...ead-in-minutes/

How bad is cheating?

http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/

Short temper thread

http://www.celiac.co...per-depression/

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article

http://www.celiac.co...ists/Page1.html

Thread For gluten-free, Dairy, Soy, Corn And Nightshade Free Recipes

http://www.celiac.co...e-free-recipes/

Super Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?

http://www.celiac.co...l-ideas-anyone/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Awok, Welcome to the forum.  Have you considered trace gluten?  Here is a study on the topic: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3598839/pdf/1471-230X-13-40.pdf It could explain why you felt good for a while.  I personally was glutened badly last summer.  I have no idea what got me.  I suspect either a prescription medication or one gluten free product (not certified).  I ended up on a whole foods diet and avoided even certified processed gluten-free foods including grains until I was healed (three to six months).  
    • I've had a range of symptoms in the last 2 months and in the past few weeks I have discovered that my TTG abs (igA) levels were 41 (my igA tests were fine). The doctor said that he is pretty much certain that it is celiac disease and I am awaiting an endoscopy to confirm it.  Before I found out that my TTG abs (igA) levels were high, I noticed that my body was reacting really badly to dairy products. I went on an elimination diet and stopped all gluten and dairy products and felt much better. I carried this on after my results and thought that I must have developed a dairy intolerance due to my celiac. 2 days ago I accidentally consumed a glass of wine which I thought was dairy free but it contained Milk. I have not had any gluten.  I am currently in the middle of a flare up. All of a sudden rashes have started to appear on my hands and my anxiety has returned (usually not a anxious person). No diarhhoea, vomiting or digestive issues. I am currently suffering from muscle twitching, rashes predominantly on hands and feet, brain fog, pins and needles/numbness on hands, feet and arms. However, I have been tested for milk allergy and this came back negative. Is it possible that it is dairy that is causing my symptoms/autoimmune reaction and could this be a reason for elevetated TTG abs (igA) levels. Or has the doctor only picked up my celiac and missing something else. If it was dairy intolerance then I would have digestive issues but I don't seem to have any. Could it be the casein protein?  Anyone been in a similar situation or can anyone provide some insight? 
    • Hello Everyone, This is my first post here and I am writing to seek help from experienced people here. I have been suffering for over 4 years now and still no where close to having a solution/ satisfactory diagnosis of my problem. My problems started in Mar 2012 with sudden diarrhea which would not go away for days. At first, I was given general antibiotics medication which would help bring down the frequency for some days and then it would come back. Since then it has been going on. I am giving a time line and the series of tests and procedures I have gone through. Would like opinion from experienced and experts here. I can send the scans and reports if required. Would really appreciate the help. Male, Indian origin Mar 2012 - onset of symptoms - multiple bouts diarrhea - spaced 3-4 weeks, bloating, weight loss (to start with I was 74 Kgs), GP managed with antibitocs and loperamide for months Dec 2012 - consulted a GI doc towards end of 2012, Colonoscopy done - conclusion was "IBS" - was advised to manage stress. use Rifaximin and immodium Jan 2013 - Aug 2013 kept moderately fine for 3-4 months ..again started getting frequent diarrhea + weight loss (was around 70 Kgs) Oct 2013 - Consulted another doc, MD - stool and blood test - Ecoli and high Eosinophil Count, medication done for 5-6 months, montinored eosinophil from nov - Mar: always kept high.. came down but then again shot up in a month Mar 2014 - Consulted another GI expert - Endoscopy and duodenal biopsy done - H Pylori and Unremarkable Villious pattern, (weight 68 Kgs) - On and Off diarrhea continued. Given: Ivermectin July 2014 - again same doc - Blood test done: High Eosinophil count,  Colonoscopy and Ileum biopsy - preserved villous architecture, features of eosinophilic enteritis; Endoscopy  + duodenal biospy again - numerous H pylori bacteria, Preserved villous crypt ratio, features of eosinophilic enteritis > conclusion: I have eosinophilic enteritis. Started on Prednisolone (steroids) Aug 2014 - 3-4 days of severe diarrhea> weight came down to 65 Kgs. Hospitalised for 3 days - continued on Prednisolonerios Sep 2014 - After 10 days only again a serious bout of diarrhea - hospitalized again - put on IV fluid for 8 days - weight 59 Kgs. Colonoscopy + biopsy done: features of superimposed c. difficile colitis, non-specific mild colitis > c. difficle test came out negative. CT Enterolysis +Scan done: mesenteric lymphadenopathy > nothing wrong acc to docs. IgA deficiency found - diagnosed Celiac - advised for Gluten free diet.   Sep 14 - May 16: continued gluten-free diet, gained weight upto 63 Kg in Jan 16, but then started losing again and came to 59 Kgs in May. No signficant diarrhea. Minor issues. June 16 onwards: Again diarrhea started, still on gluten-free diet, weight lost - 54 Kgs now. hospitalised again under same GI doc - blood test - eosinophil high, CT Enterolysis done: Showing mucosal thickening in Jejunum and Ileum; Enteroscopy (going in jejunum) + jejunal biopsy - jejunal erosions + villous blunting, marked atrophic with V:C ratio of 0.5: 1 to 0:1. HttG blood test done - Came out negative> Conclusion : No gluten exposure (how?) + Refractory Celiac disease. June - July - have been suffering from continuous diarrhea (goes off for 5-6 days and comes back, bloating, trappings in abdomen - waiting for I don't know what. On Rifaximin + Ivermectin + Codeine Sulphate (for diarrhea) I am very depressed and have no clarity on what's going on. If it is celiac, why am I not doing better on gluten-free diet. If the villous damage is still there in small intestine, then why did I kept fine for Sep - May period? HTTG - negative now but was NOT taken in Sep when I was first diagnosed with celiac. Can we trust negative HTTG now and conclude that it has come down? I am 20 kgs down from my ideal weight and still going down. Have no clue what NOT to eat to stop this. Why is eosinophil always high. Can any of you expert help me to put my case to docs in other countries? With lots of hope, Alok          
    • So, I know I'm obsessing but...... University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center website says any total IgA result over 20 won't affect the celiac test.   If this is so,  I'm still confused as to what a weak positive ttg iga means even though her result was barely in this category.  Why bother having a weak positive anyway?   I just don't get it and our doc is on vacation so I won't know what he'll recommend for another week.  I'll be finding out this week if we can see a GI without a referral. Our lyme doc (she's had lyme, may still have it, like I said it's a long story) is having her do an IgG wheat test but I don't think that has any bearing on celiac does it?    
    • Hi!  I've had good luck at the Minnesota state fair because most food booths are only doing one thing so there is no cross-contamination. For example: french fries or chocolate covered bacon or Indian kebabs.   But I live in California and I am heading to the state fair today! Does anybody have any great food suggestions that are definitely gluten-free there? Thanks, Celiac C.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Feralgurl