Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Itching, But Not Eczema, Or Dh, Or Shingles,....

• Please log in to reply

35 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I had skin BURNING and an insane itching -drive -yourself -mad skin issue including red blisters, canker sores and small oozing red bumps on my scalp.

My very celiac-savvy GI doctor said:

"There are many kinds of celiac rashes and they are not all full-blown DH. The burning was possibly a pre-cursor of the blistering rash of DH and your skin was affected"

All I know is I was bright red from head to toe and felt like I was on fire for 3 years.

DH manifests for YEARS in the skin layers.

but, yes, this intense itching could very well could be a part of celiac.

There are many skin conditions associated with celiac disease:
Chronic Urticaria (Hives) and Keratosis Pilaris for example.

http://celiacdisease...-Many-Forms.htm

and yes, it could be dry skin. But is it Flaky? if not, that's not it.

I get itching and burning sensations any time I get glutened.

By all means, have yourself tested for allergies, just in case.

Shingles is neuropathic pain and you would be crying and in agony if you had that.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Squirmy!

I never said "it is" only "if it is".

YVW. And I totally understood what you said. You make yourself clear when you post. Just as I said it's possible it is; not *it is* but some people don't understand what they read. ;)

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#18 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I don't think its a part of Celiac, but maybe in association of a compromised system, or
DH itself. Liver enzymes can be out of wack due to Celiac. It can be very common with a diagnosis (some can itch, others not). Meds, could also be a cause. Blood pressure meds or cholesteral meds could also be a player. Simply easy scratching can leave whelps. Add a cool compress to the agitated area.

My DH manifested as intense itching beyond anything I ever imaged before the rash appeared. I do not know if this is normal or not, but it is what happened to me. Best of luck with the doctor.

I blew through about half a bottle a day, and didn't find that it relieved the itching completely but I did find that Calamine lotion helped take the edge off enough that I wasn't driven criminally insane. It must be pink and not clear. Have you tried Benadryl? I don't know if it will help or not, but I don't see how it can hurt.

It is possible that there may be other causes for itching? :) I understand that there is a common theme here connecting DH with Celiac, but there are others causes,too. I am currently undergoing a variety of options, as I stated earlier.

Multiple other causes for itching do exist. But with a confirmed diagnosis of celiac disease it would be reasonable to connect the dots and think that that Dermatitis Herpetiformis, a manifestation of celiac disease that presents in the skin, would be the cause.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 Findin my way

Findin my way

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

For me - soaking in a tub of epsom salt and baking soda calms the itch to tolerable levels.

My first thought was low magnesium. It can cause itching. That would explain why your epsom salt baths help. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate.

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

My first thought was low magnesium. It can cause itching. That would explain why your epsom salt baths help. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate.

The epsom is for sore joints and muscles - the baking soda is for the itchies.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#21 Findin my way

Findin my way

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

The epsom is for sore joints and muscles - the baking soda is for the itchies.

Sorry 'bout that. I was pretty tired when I wrote that. I didn't mean for the statement to be definitive, more speculative. Meaning that the epsom salts MAY have helped some IF your magnesium was low. :)

#22 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Sorry 'bout that. I was pretty tired when I wrote that. I didn't mean for the statement to be definitive, more speculative. Meaning that the epsom salts MAY have helped some IF your magnesium was low. :)

No worries...it is a valid thought -- most of us are low on many nutrients :)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#23 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

Wow, there are many issues that can cause itchy skin w/o rash. My Dad had renal failure and would sit for hours rubbing his skin with those bath gloves. I wouldn't assume it as DH without seeing a rash. I have had Shingles and believe me they are usually along a nerve run and look like Chicken Pox . . . itchy but very sore to touch due in part to the nerve pain. . .

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

Same thing with my Dad. He scratched himself silly. No visible rash.
He was surely an unDxed celiac, given his many symptoms of severe anemia
requiring transfusions, GI problems, etc.......
but he also went into renal failure near the end of his life and one of the complications is insanely itchy skin.
No topicals worked for him at all. Poor guy.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#25 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

I happen to be experiencing major week of itch -- this morning I woke up with a great big DOH!!!

My folks have a new washing machine that they do not wish to use their old supply of liquid tide, so I brought it home to use it up.

We use inexpensive Kirkland powdered detergent -- just under a week ago I put sheets on my bed that I had washed in the liquid detergent -- DOH!! Hoping a sheet change and re-washing a couple loads will remove the incessant itching -- I'm tired of baking soda baths!

Here is an interesting article with regard to itch & pain:

http://www.hopkinsme...aters_explained

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#26 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Very interesting article Lisa. Thanks for posting that.

And our OP said she was going to the doc on Wednesday. Today's Thursday. Any news OP? How are you doing?

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#27 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Okay, I saw the nurse practitioner, but by that time, with legs itching also, it was showing up as a serious rash and it is eczema.... but it had to manifest the rash-like red areas for that to be apparent. at first it was just a mild rash on my belly, but that cleared up as the legs (mostly below the knee on the back of the calf) began to itch.

The only medications I take are asthma meds. I have no other conditions that require prescription medicine.
I take a variety of vitamin supplements, all labelled as gluten-free.

I have an appointment to see a dermatologist in a couple of weeks.

The nurse practitioner prescribed (a corticosteroid) mometasone furoate cream, which (naturally) has a positively horrifying list of adverse reactions, not to mention ingredients that give me pause.... but I am giving it a try, having applied the second dose (one application a day). My legs still itch, but I have discovered that gently rubbing them makes them feel better for a few minutes at a time.
But I am trying to not touch the affected area too much.

I have found all of your replies interesting and somewhat helpful.... thank you all. I will return with more information as the condition changes.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#28 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

A few things:

1. Well, you already saw someone and a rash has developed, but if you feel bad otherwise, getting your liver checked out isn't a bad idea.
2. I don't have any DH per se, but I get itchy mildly skin especially during the winter. So far this year (first year being gluten-free), it's much better. I do get occasional itchy bumps on my forearms, but only ever 1 at a time, and happens maybe once a month. That has developed over the past few years.
3. My sister has had serious eczema most of her life. She knows a few things that have pretty immediate effects on it; yellow food dies (tartrazine for sure, maybe others) and oats are things which come to mind. You may have other food allergies/intolerances causing it.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#29 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I was given a prescription of Mometasone Furoate Cream 0.1%. That helped a great deal. After 2 weeks the skin in the affected areas is still pinker than the surrounding skin, but no more itch after the second day's application. I was also advised to take an antihistamine, and have been doing that also.
I have an appointment with a dermatologist, later in January.

This started as severe itching on my stomach, above the belly button. Then it switched to the lower legs, not exactly 'symmetrical', but my lower legs are where the red 'rash' appeared and both legs are still very pink, but not itching at all at this time.

The only medications I take are for asthma, I am not on any kind of cholesterol meds, no thyroid problems at all (ever), no diabetes, the only conditions I am aware of as of this writing are the asthma and the celiac disease.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#30 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

I use the mometasone furoate for my psoriasis. It works wonders!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009