Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Undiagnosed - Talking With Doctor

2 posts in this topic

I am new to this forum and have had possible symptoms for over a year - actually longer if I look back at my history. I have been to the doctors multiple times and still have not had the doctor agree to test for celiac.

I have a "lump" in my upper right abdomen, but all testing has shown that everything in my upper abdomen in normal. I have had multiple ultrasounds and there appears to be nothing there.

I also am unsure as to what a normal bowel movement is. I alternate between bouts of constipation and diarrhea and pretty much have for as long as I can remember – just thought that was normal.

Most recently, I spent 8 hours last night/early this morning in the ER for sharp pains in my lower right abdomen. Didn’t think it would be related, but just had a friend tell me that they get lower right abdominal pain after eating gluten – which I realized is all I ate yesterday and also had a lot of since Christmas Eve :-/

They ruled out appendicitis and ovarian cysts, also kidney and liver issues based on ct scan, ultrasound, and blood work – that’s going to be a pretty penny.

Hopefully tomorrow I can finally talk my primary care into doing some celiac testing, because I notice when I don’t eat gluten I am feeling much better.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I think the main thing right now for you is to INSIST on celiac testing before trying gluten-free, or the testing will become ineffective.

Oh dang, just saw that you may have already had the appt today. How'd it go?