5 replies to this topic

#1 Kat L

Kat L

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I had my EGD today and it'll be about a week before I get the biopsy results back. But, the doc did give me her observations. Apparently I have a sliding hiatal hernia and a Schatzki ring (mild, non-obstructing) - and everything else looked normal. I haven't been able to really talk to my doc about it yet, because I was pretty out of it and didn't have such a great reaction to the sedation. From what I've gathered reading on my own today, it doesn't seem like either of these are a big concern right now, but should be watched to make sure they don't get worse.

I wonder if the hernia could have been caused by my constant severe bloating. I have often noticed that after a big meal, particularly when I'm with other people and can't burp, that I have trouble breathing. Does anyone have any experience with either a hiatal hernia or a Schatzki ring?

Gluten free since December 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Yes. Schatzki ring is damage associated with Eosinophilic Esophagitus.
My daughter has both Celiac and EE. There is now a known connetionc between Celiac and EE.
Do you have any of the scope pictures? Very tell tale sign of eosinophils are creamy colored speckles. I thought it looked like (what I imagined) a yeast infection. There must be a biopsy because eosinophils can be deeply embedded in "normal" looking tissue.
Michigan

#3 Kat L

Kat L

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yes, my doc did give me a printout of some scope pictures. There's nothing in these pictures that looks like you describe, though the copies I have are black and white. I'll get the full report after the biopsy results are in. To have EE, wouldn't I also have elevated levels of eosinophils in my blood? The results of a blood test from October show that I had 2% eosinophil (relative) and an absolute concentration of 0.3 K/uL.

Gluten free since December 2012

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

I was found to have a hiatal hernia during a follow up endo. It sometimes causes me to cough, hiccup (at times together <_< ), and after a big meal it does seem a little hard to breathe--as though like there is pressure from below. I was glad I had the endo done because it answered why these things were happening--I never thought much of them.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Lisay

Lisay

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hi Kat - my husband was diagnosed with both 2 years ago. He got an endoscopy and his esophagus was stretched. This helped a lot as before the procedure at times he was unable to swallow and always felt very full. He can no longer eat large meals.

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

My daughter never had a blood test for eosinphil count. She was diagnosed by the count and damage in the esophagus.
Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: