Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten Free Spirits/ Happy Hour Survival

13 posts in this topic

I'm not a huge drinker. Every now and then I go to Happy Hour with some co-workers at our local tavern.

But now.. what can I drink?

I'm a Vodka mixer or Rum type of girl. I figured that Tequila would still be drinkable as that is made from Agave plant.

Anyone have any tips or ideas as to what I can drink for a Happy Hour outing?

I already know about Chopin Vodka, but I don't think that's carried at a regular run of the mill type Tavern that we go to for Happy Hour.

This is my first Happy Hour since Diagnosis

Kinky is my new favorite mixer. Flavored vodka, just mix it with soda like Sprite. Or any fruit flavored soda.

Captain Morgan's spiced rum.

Watch out ordering any named drinks that could be made differently by bartenders.

I'm not a drinker any more, but used to be. I was always particular about what I ordered and would recommend the same now to any celiac. Don't order a drink simply by name. Order it by brand. I can't really make recommendations as to brands that are gluten free as I haven't investigated, but once you know you'll be able to order a drink by telling the bartender the name of the drink you want, the brand of alcohol you want, and what else you want in it. Unless you have verified ahead of time what types of mixers and such they are using, and if it is a busy place, I would stick with things mixed with sodas. You can't go wrong with Coke or Sprite.

I've made the personal choice to avoid gluten-grain derived alcohols, although

the science states the distilled liquid is safe, I just avoid it anyway. I'm neurotic.

I'm ok with that. So, I stick to Tito's (corn vodka) or potato vodka if they have it.

If not, I just get wine. A lot of bars will have a hard cider you might enjoy, and there

is the rare joint that has a gluten-free beer! Never hurts to ask.

Taken from glutenfreeveganmom.com:

RUM

GLUTEN-FREE: ‘Safe’ to Consume

Bacardi 151, Bacardi 8, Bacardi Flavored Rums, Bacardi Gold, Bacardi Select, Bacardi Superior

Captain Morgan Spiced Rum

Malibu Rum

Oh yeah rum is good! I just drink vodka on account of I'm Polish, hahahaha.......

Distilled spirits are safe.

If not, I'd be dead by now. :D

I have tried the potato vodka, but it's not likely to be in a bar well speed rack for making mixed drinks.

I have had Smirnoff and Stoly without any issues.

Rum is safe

Agave tequila is good! --ask for

Jose Cuervo Especial Silver (blanco)

Most bars carry that.

Agave tequila is good! --ask for

Jose Cuervo Especial Silver (blanco)

Most bars carry that.

Jose and I used to be fine friends! Any bar not stocking that is one that no one should reasonably be in.

Jose and I used to be fine friends! Any bar not stocking that is one that no one should reasonably be in.

Agree! Cuervo 1800 --very good stuff. First time I ever tried tequila--it was this one. That was back in the 1920's ;)

I had a margarita tonight . I made it with Corazon blanco..100% agave ...it was yum.

I have had no trouble with any distilled spirits exceptthe sour mash bourbons such ar Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. That is probably just a quirk of my system.

Be careful with tequila. I find that it tends to make my clothes fall off.

Be careful with tequila. I find that it tends to make my clothes fall off.

Holy crap! I thought that was just me.........

If distilled grain spirits weren't gluten free, then I'd be in some serious trouble...

All distilled alcohols are gluten free. However, some extremely super sensitive people do have trouble and avoid them. however, since you're just starting out gluten-free and don't know yet, then it won't hurt to try.

If you want to be safe, stick to rum, tequila and potato vodkas.

Don't get coolers or anything premixed/flavoured unless you've seen the ingredients.

Ciders are good. If a bar has cider on tap, make sure they use a dedicated line (never used for beer).

And if you go somewhere regularly, buddy up with the owner and sucker them into getting some gluten free beer (it's worked for me!)

Oh, a mixed drink tip: ask for a pint glass. Then you don't feel all silly with your little glass of rum and coke that is mostly ice and disappears in 5 seconds.

Cheers!

Oh, a mixed drink tip: ask for a pint glass. Then you don't feel all silly with your little glass of rum and coke that is mostly ice and disappears in 5 seconds.

Cheers!

Now, here's a girl after my own heart.!! :D

I agree, state your order and punctuate it with ..and make that a TALL please!

Cheers!