#1 ChrisMcD

ChrisMcD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Good afternoon, all!

So, I've had some bloodwork done, Dr. says I am positive for Celiac, but I would like a better understanding of my lab results, I have typed the results exactly as seen on lab report.

I knew before the tests that I was having a problem with gluten, and went gluten-free 5 days before the test (I didn't know!), then I read that one should be consuming gluten for the test, so I panicked and gluten loaded 2 days before....so maybe this threw off some of the results. I will be seeing the gastroenterologist Monday for a consult. I have been feeling so much better since being gluten-free for a few days now, so I am definitely questioning whether I need a biopsy or not, although I understand that biopsy is the "gold standard". I do feel better having some validation from the lab work, but It seems pretty clear to me.

1. Deami. Gliadin Abs, IgA - 46
Neg. 0-19, Weak pos. 20-30, Mod. to Strong pos. 30+

2. Deami. Gliadin Abs, IgG - 97
Same values as above

3. t-Transglutiminase, IgA - 5
Neg. 0-3, weak pos. 4-10, positive 10+

4. t-Transglutiminase, IgG - 3
Same values as above

5. Endomysial Ab, IgA - Positive
positive or negative

6. Immunoglobulin A - 406
Lab report only shows a range of 91-414,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by ChrisMcD, 28 December 2012 - 01:20 PM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Because every lab uses a different " scale", could you post the reference ranges from the lab sheet. Something like:

ABC 12. (0-6 neg, 7-9 weak positive, >p high)

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ChrisMcD

ChrisMcD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Because every lab uses a different " scale", could you post the reference ranges from the lab sheet. Something like:

ABC 12. (0-6 neg, 7-9 weak positive, >p high)

Post edited, thank you!

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

I see you added the ranges. Looks positive. Others who know more about the test will probably chime in.

Whether you have an endoscopy is up to you. I had one and a colonoscopy at the same time. Here's why: we were really checking for anything else that might be going on with the Celiac - ulcers, colitis, polyps etc and how advanced the Celiac is.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yes, those are definite positive results for celiac. We always tell people that cramming gluten in the last couple of days won't affect the results, so, no, that didn't have any bearing on your positive tests. Your tests show that you make a normal amount of antibodies (Immunoglobulin A) so the tests are valid. Your Endomysial Antibodies and Deamidated Gliadin Peptide were both positive and these two tests are the most specific for celiac, so unless you want to find out the level of damage in your small intestine there is no actual reason for the confirmation the biopsy gives that this is, in fact, celiac disease (in my book anyway).. Doctors always like to do it because it is a moneymaker and because of that old gold standard saw, but that was before the blood testing was refined to its present level. Doctors are now coming to accept: symptoms, positive blood results, resolution of symptoms on gluten-free diet, as being diagnostic, although some would want to toss in the genetic testing just to be sure. So it is up to you whether or not you have the biopsy.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 ChrisMcD

ChrisMcD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thanks, Mushroom...I was a little worried, I consulted with a Nutritionist yesterday, and she told me the results were probably altered since I went gluten-free for a few days. Now to have the kids tested, ages 4 and 7. Runs in my family on mother's side. Grandfather was positive and mom has never been tested. Thanks for the quick replies.

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Gluten free would make the results lower. So if these are your results from a few days gluten-free, think how high they might have been on a full gluten diet!

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: