• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

livelifelarge24

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

I have to go to a party in a couple of hours and forgot until last minute that I'm supposed to bring an appetizer. I grabbed a Hodgson Mills cookie mix out of the pantry and whipped it up real quick. Then I noticed that the expiration date on the package is 9/12/12 i think. It's not clearly marked but on the bottom of the box there's a code that says
9 12 12 2
I'm assuming that's the expiration. Is it okay to serve these cookies? I know with other mixes it would most likely be a freshness or recommendation date but what about gluten free mixes? I don't want to serve something bad! I also just read some reviews that their mix is gross :/ So maybe I should buy some chips and salsa on the way instead?
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,591 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

If its always been in your house and you have AC so it's not 90+ all summer, I would open it. Give it a sniff. If it has bean flours, it might smell slightly " sour". If it smells really bad, then it's bad.

do you have pb and sugar? Try these. If you only have white sugar, you can just use white.

http://www.emerils.c...-Butter-Cookies

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

I am allergic to peanuts so no peanut butter in this household! I made the cookies before I noticed the expiration. I did smell the mix before I baked them after it was already mixed up and it didn't smell like anything at all. I think I will just toss them though, I hate to worry about these things.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,591 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

If it smelled like nothing, it was fine. If the cookies taste good, any germs were cooked out.

Those cookies are good with almond or sunflower butter

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Thanks :) I will have my husband taste test them since he is not celiac and none of the others at the party will be either. I usually don't take a new recipe to a gathering like that, everybody prefers my cupcakes but like I said, I completely spaced this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: