This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Peanut Allergy & Vaccines

RiceGuy

RiceGuy Collaborator

Hi everyone. I ran across this article, which I think everybody should read.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Interesting, but I don't think peanut oil has been used in vaccines for the last 30 years or so.

RiceGuy Collaborator

According to what I've read, peanut oil is currently being used in vaccines, along with other things of some concern. And, the issue brought up about proteins going straight into the bloodstream shouldn't be overlooked.

Here's another article, in which they talk about non-disclosed peanut oil in vaccines for children, as well as insect cells as an alternative to chicken eggs:

GottaSki Mentor

I agree with RiceGuy - while vaccines are truely miraculous for many - those of us with bodies that clearly react negatively to certain proteins need to be extra cautious.

Synthetic proteins are becoming more involved in vaccine delivery mechanisms as well - again - phenominal research, but safe for all - no.

StephanieL Enthusiast

A) This is a pretty old article

B) I saw no credentials in this as to the authors credibility

C) I know far to many unvaxed kids with peanut and other allergies. It's kind of like the whole autism/vax thing.

RiceGuy Collaborator

A) This is a pretty old article

B) I saw no credentials in this as to the authors credibility

C) I know far to many unvaxed kids with peanut and other allergies. It's kind of like the whole autism/vax thing.

Both articles are fairly current, being dated 2010 & 2011. Maybe old in rodent or insect terms, but not old in human terms. According to what I've read, the general makeup of vaccines hasn't changed much in many, many years. They've been using aluminum, formaldehyde, and various other stuff including peanut oil for several decades.

Each article provides references. It doesn't take a medical expert to report data derived from medical research. It's no different than a TV news reporter telling what they've learned from expert sources.

I'm sure many kids have allergies which aren't due to vaccinations, but that doesn't mean that vaccinations don't contribute to the development of allergies in a number of kids.

Anyway, the fact that peanut oil is used in a number of vaccines is important, perhaps especially for those who already have peanut allergies. And when it isn't declared on the package insert, that can be downright dangerous for some.

StephanieL Enthusiast
Anyway, the fact that peanut oil is used in a number of vaccines is important, perhaps especially for those who already have peanut allergies. And when it isn't declared on the package insert, that can be downright dangerous for some.

But it isn't. There aren't any vaccines that are known to have peanut oil in them. There are several with soy, egg and some with dairy. There is one inhaler with peanut oil in it but that's the only medication that I have found with nut issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

There aren't any vaccines that are known to have peanut oil in them.

Known to whom?

I've searched and searched, including the CDC's website, and the sites of some vaccine manufacturers, but little or no information is provided about the adjuvants other than what they're supposed to do. From what I did find, it seems many are proprietary, protected by patents, and thus their formulation is not disclosed. And then there's the question of the substances used to produce them. There are articles which mention adjuvant 65-4, saying it contains peanut oil, but I found nothing official about this adjuvant whatsoever. The manufacturers don't seem to give any info on the makeup of the adjuvants or how they're produced. Just how many different adjuvants are in the various vaccines on the market I couldn't determine either.

I located a few articles which claim that peanut oil isn't currently used in any vaccines in the U.S., and just as many if not more stating that there are[b/] vaccines containing peanut oil. The phrase "adjuvant 65-4" comes up numerous times. But again, nothing official regarding this particular adjuvant that I can find. And virtually nothing about other adjuvants at all. This isn't surprising to me, as I've run into the same sort of thing regarding food ingredients. Manufacturers often withhold certain kinds of information, even when I ask them directly.

So if you know of any official documentation which can provide further insight on this, please do share.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I have called countless vaccine manufacturers for the information. Could they be lying, sure. I do not trust big pharm for the most part however there is also the fact that except for the high end fancy food grade peanut oils, most people allergic to peanuts DO NOT react to what could possibly be in a vaccine which isn't there.

It isn't know what causes allergies. Period. There are theories just as there are to how Celiac is triggered. It is know that genetics plays a part and they are autoimmune (sound like anything you've heard before??? ;) )

I'm not going to argue. I know what I know and others can speculate as they wish. In my research, in the circles I travel in (food allergy patients) there hasn't been known or unknown peanut oil in vaccines in a very very very long time.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I see. Then it seems we may be just slightly closer to a truly definitive answer. Thanks for your input though. At least you can say you called vaccine manufacturers. We just may never know what they aren't divulging, particularly regarding the adjuvants.

Incidentally, I've read that when rodents are used for testing allergic reactions to peanuts, they're first injected with a concoction to induce a peanut allergy. Turns out, one such method involves a peanut extract and aluminum. Given that aluminum is used in so many vaccines, can certainly make one wonder. I mean, suppose a child who doesn't have a peanut allergy gets one or more vaccine injections soon enough after eating peanuts, that there's still some peanut components in their body. Even if the vaccines don't contain anything from peanuts, it wouldn't surprise me if a peanut allergy could develop.

The following describes how rats were first given a peanut sensitivity in order to evaluate the effectiveness of a treatment:

More intriguing articles:

Here's one about a Chinese herbal formula that can protect against anaphylactic reactions to peanuts:

Given the above articles, I cannot dismiss the possibility that vaccines have something to do with allergy development in some individuals. Especially when considering the similarities between vaccines for humans and how peanut allergy is induced in rats. Sure, it might also take a certain predisposition, but then peanuts are among the top allergenic foods anyway. So it may not require much to push the immune system over the line.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Riceguy,

This is all very interesting to me. I think your link about the Quercetin maybe helping prevent anaphylactic reactions is quite something. The argument about the vaccines being related somehow to peanut allergies makes sense to me. It has to be caused by something after all. And that seems like a likely cause. Thanks for the info!

L.J. Rookie

Hey RiceGuy,

I find your articles and input *very* interesting! I am having severe problems with allergies that at first mimiced Celiac--I am gluten-free, but also allergic to peanuts and eggs. (A much longer list, but no need to be boring) :D

I found that when I was "required" by my employer to have the influenza vaccines every year--that I also had an immediate reaction similar to what is described. I also got the "flu" within a short time that was always severe. I quit getting the "flu vaccine"--and have not had a case of the "flu" since. I am around alot of people--but try to wash my hands often because of possible cc from various things!

I recently had an Anaphalactic Reaction to Avocados--scared the heck out of me....

Do I believe that *all* of the information is printed??? NO! Your articles are recent--I looked as well at the dates. All written within the last 5 years, which is the "norm" for pertinent information in the healthcare world.

I am still thinking about your thoughts--pretty interesting stuff, eh??? ;) Thanks for sharing it here!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

You can find at the website of the Center for disease control the list of ingredients in vaccines. I think anyone should read it carefully before getting the vaccination. One should be especially careful if they are sensitive to anything.

GottaSki Mentor

Hey RiceGuy,

I find your articles and input *very* interesting! I am having severe problems with allergies that at first mimiced Celiac--I am gluten-free, but also allergic to peanuts and eggs. (A much longer list, but no need to be boring) :D

I found that when I was "required" by my employer to have the influenza vaccines every year--that I also had an immediate reaction similar to what is described. I also got the "flu" within a short time that was always severe. I quit getting the "flu vaccine"--and have not had a case of the "flu" since. I am around alot of people--but try to wash my hands often because of possible cc from various things!

I recently had an Anaphalactic Reaction to Avocados--scared the heck out of me....

Do I believe that *all* of the information is printed??? NO! Your articles are recent--I looked as well at the dates. All written within the last 5 years, which is the "norm" for pertinent information in the healthcare world.

I am still thinking about your thoughts--pretty interesting stuff, eh??? ;) Thanks for sharing it here!

Hi LJ--

Side note -- our allergic reaction to avocado -- check out high histamine and histamine inducing foods.

RiceGuy Collaborator

In addition to the suggestion of histamines, I will add latex allergy. I recently read something about latex allergy and avocados. Apparently, some of the same proteins in latex are also in avocados and certain other fruits, including banana, chestnut, kiwifruit, passionfruit, plum, strawberry and tomato.

See the following:

L.J. Rookie

Thank you for your thought out answer!!!!

You can find at the website of the Center for disease control the list of ingredients in vaccines. I think anyone should read it carefully before getting the vaccination. One should be especially careful if they are sensitive to anything.

L.J. Rookie

I did want to share one incident however--I was required to do the Hepatitus series of vaccines for my employment--which I did. Then, one year later, I get a letter in the mail stating that the Hep series I went through was not correct--and that I had to do them *all* over again! (3 shots spread over a bit of time). Needless to say, it made me leery of how accurate the vaccines are...Just a thought :rolleyes:

Do I believe in the vaccines, yes...however, I do wonder how they might affect us! ;)

L.J. Rookie

Thanks RiceGuy for the links--It is true, I cannot eat avocados, pears, bananas, apples, chestnuts, tomato--and several others that seem to be intertwined with each other! :blink: Rather confusing for me to grasp--the one thing that I do get is that I was just determined to be allergic to rubber--also intertwined with latex on some level or another :huh: So Vitamin C is a problem for me to get. I do have one that was a gift that is 100% Ascorbic Acid (i.e. Vit. C)--with no citrus (also allergic to) nor anything else except "pure Ascorbic Acid". Manmade--but the "natural foods of Vit. C" are "killers" for me! I react to most of the natural fruits that are high in it....(I am trying out Blackberry's--slowly but surely) Anywho, I am hoping that the Vitamin C works for me since my body won't absorb the nutrients I need without some Vit. C!!! :P

Did not mean to get off topic here--but wanted to add that info.... :D

RiceGuy Collaborator

For a natural vitamin C, two which you might want to try are amla berry and camu camu berry. The camu camu is said to be the most potent natural source of vitamin C known. It comes in pills and pure powdered form. Mixed with cold water and a bit of sweetener, I think it tastes like iced tea.

Incidentally, the synthetic vitamin C is typically made from corn. And of course, most of the corn grown in the U.S. is GMO.

Something else to be aware of regarding the latex allergy is footwear. I've read about people reacting to the materials used in footwear, with the same symptoms as when eating the problematic foods. Turns out that some components from the footwear can be absorbed into the feet, even through socks.

Archived