6 replies to this topic

#1 celiacSuzie

celiacSuzie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Ok, I've been gluten-free for a couple yrs now & feel pretty confident that I'm mostly aware of hidden wheat/gluten.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed GI problems when eating "gluten-free" foods (a la Amy's brand, which uses mostly rice flour)? (pain, bloating, the infamous 'D' - up to 2 days after eating)

I've used bob's red mill flours to make biscuits, pancakes, etc. and haven't had much of an issue (unless I eat more than one or two portions in a day).

I don't use these products frequently (maybe once a month - if that!), I eat real foods otherwise (fruits, veggies, protein, fats).

Any ideas?

cSuzie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

There are two types of gluten free foods when it comes to processed foods. First, there are foods like Amy's that are processed in a shared facility and are susceptible to CC and it is possible that the cause of your issues when consuming some products is actually gluten. Then there are others that are processed in a gluten free facitily, if these are bothering you you certainly have some type of other intolerance. If you keep a food diary that you also list symptoms in you could review and check for common ingredients. It could be an additive that bothers you. Then again it could be something as simple as rice, some people have issues with all types of things.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Or it could be gluten free oats. I was sort of heartbroken to have to give up the Bob's Red Mill Brand (they process gluten free oats in the same facility) when I finally figured out that it I react to even traces of gluten free oats, as that brand is the easiest to find around here. But it made a huge difference.

#4 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'm wondering which type of Amy's because I think I used to see posts questioning cc in Amy's frozen foods but almost never the canned ones. There's a canned Amy's gluten-free organic southwest chili I've had plenty of times w/out a problem.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#5 celiacSuzie

celiacSuzie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Only thing I ever get that's Amy's (frozen) is the Rice crust pizza (w/soy cheese).
I next to never eat anything soy (due to thyroid stuff)... so I didn't think of that being an issue possibly.

But even w/the Bob's Red Mill - I can eat say 2 biscuits or 2 pancakes - but more than that & I get the same reaction.
I don't eat oats (never liked 'em anyway), so if the CC is the issue, maybe that.

It's an issue enough, I simply won't be buying that pizza again. I had Glutino's pizza (w/real cheese) & it was good, but same issue and serious blood sugar reactions.

I know I can't eat any rice pasta b/c of the sugar issues I get from even half a serving (with a meat sauce, for example) even. Maybe, I need to stay away from all rice??

That means the only 'grain' I'll be eating is corn products, as others I don't like, can't eat, or don't settle well (like quinoa). :(

#6 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

I would suspect that it might be the soy. I get a LOT of digestive pain from eating even the smallest amount....and lots of D.

#7 Hala

Hala

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

I recently made a post about this and found some interesting info about how lenient the labelling can be re: 'gluten-free'

http://www.celiac.co...tc/#entry841661

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after positive blood test and endoscopy (total villous atrophy and inflammation)

Gluten-free since 13th November 2012

Asperger's Syndrome.

Crohn's Disease.

Pancreatic Insufficiency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: